Re: 2004 Draft thread
Excellent analysis. A couple of corollaries/extensions...
1. As others may have noted, the Reds "zagged" as many other organizations "zigged" -- Reds going HS arms, college bats. Looks to me like Szymanski and Janish may have dropped some from predraft projections due to this overall trend.
2. I think Reynolds talked of building up the middle -- looks to be a "philosophy" as much as any other pattern one could identify after 1 draft.
3. I read something about visa issues with Canadian players -- something like they'll have to sign 2005 contracts. Will impact Valiquette.
4. I'd love to see us sign 25-30 of these players.
5. The video of Juan Buck is interesting. Big and green.
6. Szymanski is an embryonic Joe Borchard. I look for him to struggle a lot at times, but still a very nice player to have in the system, I think.
"Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini