Re: Pena traded for Arroyo
Gammons: "There's a new Mo in Boston."
Nuggest from his blog:
- The Reds weren't trading Dunn or Kearns unless they got a Jon Lester or two.
- Arroyo was 10th in the AL in quality starts.
- Red Sox lacked right-handed power throughout their system and WMP is about to start learning the game from Big Papi.
- Pena had a .881 OPS against LHP last season. Sweeney & Andruw Jones were at .877 and Manny Ramirez at .885.
- "Pena loves to play, wants to learn and because he was out of options and in the big leagues at age 20, his development has been seriously retarded." Boston hopes it has another Jesse Barfield.
- Nixon can become a free agent after '06. They've added a 26 year old CF in Crisp and a 24 year old power bat in RF.
- Tee-hee: "The fact that former Reds GM and current Nationals GM Jim Bowden has spent more than 1,000 hours trying to reaquire Pena speaks for his character."
"I fought because I understood and could not bear to understand, that it was my destiny -- unlike that of my father, whose fate it was to hear the roar of the crowd -- to sit in the stands with most men and acclaim others. It was my fate, my destiny, my end, to be a fan."