Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Centerville, OH
Re: Draft advice
Uggh. Terrible draft. My wife called from Atlanta and it caused me to make several mistakes during the draft and made keeping up with who was picked a chore. My "plan" was working until the 5th round or so.
Here's what I ended up with.
Stats are: R, H, HR, RBI, SB, BB, AVG, OBP, SLG, OPS for hitters and IP, W, L, SV, R, HR, BB, K, ERA, K/9 for pitchers
We play: C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, Util, Util, SP, SP, SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, BN, BN, DL, DL
1. (10) J. Bay (OF)- wanted HR, RBI, R, SB, AVG, OPS with my first pick. He fit.
2. (11) C. Utley (2B, 1B) wanted good numbers at a premium position. He fit.
3. (30) R. Harden (SP) Last pitcher I had ranked before a big drop off.
4. (31) V. Martínez (C) see Utley.
5. (50) R. Furcal (SS) - mistake, meant to take Jeter, and clicked the wrong guy-I blame my wife.
6. (51) R. Sexson (1B)- one of the last 1B left on the board at this point.
7. (70) B. Ryan (RP) - last "stud" closer left on my rankings.
8. (71) B. Myers (SP) - still there, needed another good SP since I didn't end up with a top 5 guy.
9. (90) J. Patterson (SP) - same with Myers. Think he'll produce in K, ERA, and K/9.
10. (91) C. Crisp (OF) - Wanted to start grabbing OFers and I think he's going to score 120 R's and produce in serveral cats.
11. (110) M. Holliday (OF)- Another guy that should contribute in several cats.
12. (111) M. Mora (3B) - Best 3B avail. Should have drafted Rolen in rd 10 or 11, but at that point there were 4 3B below him. Gambled since OF were going fast.
13. (130) T. Gordon (RP) - Had him ranked pretty high. Highest ranked closer left on my board.
14. (131) E. Bedard (SP) - I think Leo Mazzone will do wonders for him. Was dominant in 1st half last yr before injury.
15. (150) J. Bonderman (SP)- a guy I like a lot. Maybe too much.
16. (151) B. Wilkerson (OF, 1B)- should contribute across the board in that park.
17. (170) D. Bush (SP) - another mistake, I meant to draft Ray here, and then pickup J.D. Drew who was sitting out there
18. (171) C. Ray- had to pick a 3rd closer here because they were going fast, most teams have 3, some 4. Drew went the pick after this
19. (190) M. González - took him just because he was available. No good offensive players left on the board, except Granderson
20. (191) J. Guillén -was going to take Granderson, but figured I needed more pop. Don't like him, or this pick.
I'm going to drop David Bush. I think he'll have a good year, but there are starters like Kelvim Escobar (big in K/9), Wakefield, Chris Young and Loiaza out there, who are better across the board.
I'd like to improve my offense somehow. I don't like Guillen very much. He'll produce in HR somewhat but not as much in RBI, R, BB, OBP.
I usually draft straight power guys who get on base and don't run very much (Dunn, Hafner type guys). I usually struggle in the SB category every year. I think I have a more balanced team, but it's weird to me because I'm used to have big HR/RBI guys and no SB. That's why I drafted Guillen with the last pick. He was the only guy out there that hit for good power. It was either him or Preston Wilson. I still might drop Guillen for Wilson. No other power guys are out there.
What do you guys think of this team?
'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
-Snoop on his retirement
Your Mom is happy.
Last edited by Red Leader; 03-30-2006 at 12:05 AM.