Saturday, April 1, 2006
Reds close in on Opening Day roster
Biggest surprise: Abad makes club
BY JOHN FAY | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER
SARASOTA, Fla. -- The Reds' Opening Day roster was nearly set this morning before their final spring training game.
Chris Denorfia, Andy Abad and Mike Burns are in. Jacob Cruz, Quinton McCracken, Frank Menechino, Brian Buchanan and Ryan Wagner are out.
The move to put Abad on the roster had not been announced, but he called his agent Brian Goldberg to say he made the team.
“Guys are disappointed,” Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky said. “Everyone shoots for Opening Day. But it’s a long season. If you go down (Triple-A) with the right attitude, you can help yourself.”
--Right-hander Wagner was optioned to Triple-A Louisville.
--Outfielder Denorfia was recalled from Triple-A Louisville.
--Infielder Menechino, Quinton McCracken and outfielder/first baseman Cruz were re-assigned to the minor league camp.
--Right-hander Paul Wilson and catcher Jason LaRue were placed on the 15-day disabled list.
--No move had to made with Buchanan because he was never invited to big league camp.
More moves were coming after the game, most likely involving Abad and catcher Dane Sardinha. The club needs to get Abad on the roster. Sardinha is on the Reds' 40-man roster, but the team isn’t going to carry four catchers.
Abad, 33, is the biggest surprise. He had a good spring. But he only has 10 games of major league experience.
He was, however, an accomplished player at the Triple-A level. He hit .293 with 20 home runs and 85 RBI for Triple-A Buffalo last year. In 2003, he hit .304 with 13 home runs and an International League-leading 93 RBI.
Wagner, the 23-year-old right-hander, pointed to the fact the Reds didn’t use training stats to pick the roster. Wagner finished the spring with 12 scoreless innings and he was rarely in trouble in those innings.
But Burns, a 27-year-old right-hander, pitched just as well.
“We had three spots for four guys – (Todd) Coffey, (Matt) Belisle, Burns and Wagner,” Krivsky said. “No one eliminated themselves. Ryan made progress with his sinker. We want him to go Triple-A and continue to work on it.”