Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heisey's eyesight -- any optometrists on the board?

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Heisey's eyesight -- any optometrists on the board?

Heisey is always blinking his eyes 10x more than the average human, he's always squinting and at times he has this very-weird "eyes wide open" look where it appears as if he's trying to focus his eyes at the last minute when batting.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Also, if we have any optometrists in the house, could he perhaps have a small eyesight problem that isn't being addressed? I'm sure if it was anything major he would have laser eye surgery, wear contacts or wear glasses. But it definitely looks like something's up with him. I noticed this about him last year. He just seems to have some type of problems with his eyes that causes him to blink a lot and really strain his eyes to try and focus them.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Heisey's eyesight -- any optometrists on the board?

If that slide into home yesterday indicates anything, he may be blind. (I kid, only half way though).

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Interesting. I almost started a thread called "Starting Lineup's eyesight--any optometrists on the board?"

Marty Foster says he doesn't see anything wrong with Heisey's eyesight.
    Last edited by klw; 04-10-2013 at 07:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Heisey is always blinking his eyes 10x more than the average human, he's always squinting and at times he has this very-weird "eyes wide open" look where it appears as if he's trying to focus his eyes at the last minute when batting.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Also, if we have any optometrists in the house, could he perhaps have a small eyesight problem that isn't being addressed? I'm sure if it was anything major he would have laser eye surgery, wear contacts or wear glasses. But it definitely looks like something's up with him. I noticed this about him last year. He just seems to have some type of problems with his eyes that causes him to blink a lot and really strain his eyes to try and focus them.

You may be on to something, might have problems with sunlight:
    Day 321 AB .690 OPS
    Night 506 AB .793 OPS

Quote Originally Posted by TOBTTReds View Post
    If that slide into home yesterday indicates anything, he may be blind. (I kid, only half way though).
    For any of you local guys, was Heisey interviewed about that play after the game and, if so, what did he have to say?

I personally have eyes that are very sensitive to light. People always ask why I'm wearing sunglasses when it's cloudy. When I was young I had corneal ulcers in both eyes, which left scar tissue and damaged my eyes pretty much for life. I can see just fine with glasses, but it's still debilitating.

If I'm outdoors in any kind of light, I blink a lot and my eyes water. I'm constantly wiping tears away. I'm pretty lucky I didn't go blind at a young age.

They do make contacts that filter out light. Griffey and many other players used to wear them. Maybe Heisey should see an ophthalmologist.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    For any of you local guys, was Heisey interviewed about that play after the game and, if so, what did he have to say?
    http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...k_cin&c_id=cin

"As soon as he tagged me, 'I was like what the heck was he doing?' Then I had to check myself," Heisey said. "To be honest with you, I guess for a split-second, I was thinking I needed to take him out so he couldn't throw Brandon out. It was a brain [cramp], that's all. I went up to Yadi the next at-bat and said, 'I just had a brain [cramp], I wasn't going after you or anything. I forgot you had to tag me and not just step on the plate.'"

According to Heisey, there were no hard feelings from Molina.

"He was actually really nice to me and was like, 'Hey dude, don't worry about it. It happens,'" Heisey said.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post

"As soon as he tagged me, 'I was like what the heck was he doing?' Then I had to check myself," Heisey said. "To be honest with you, I guess for a split-second, I was thinking I needed to take him out so he couldn't throw Brandon out. It was a brain [cramp], that's all. I went up to Yadi the next at-bat and said, 'I just had a brain [cramp], I wasn't going after you or anything. I forgot you had to tag me and not just step on the plate.'"

"He was actually really nice to me and was like, 'Hey dude, don't worry about it. It happens,'" Heisey said.
    Thanks for the info, I hadn't seen that yet either. I like the fact that he admitted the brain cramp. Others may make up some sort of excuse.

Doesn't take away from how bad of a play it was...and of course Molina was fine with it, he gave them an out and didn't score the tying run.

I don't think it has anything to do with his actual eyesight per se, some peoples tear ducts produce more tears than others and blinking is what keeps the eyes moist. A lack of tear production could lead someone to blink more than others.

I'm not a doctor, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Maybe he just isn't a good hitter. <shrugs>

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack View Post
    Maybe he just isn't a good hitter. <shrugs>
    Maybe. The back to back plays where he couldn't pick the ball up out of the corner today were weird though.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post

Perhaps he's just not that bright... At least he's honest.

Either way, there's no excuse to forget the situation you're in as a baserunner. I play beer league softball, and I would have slid outside and tagged the plate on that play.

Heisey couldn't have touched the plate if he wanted to.

Also I think it's funny they changed "brain fart" to "brain cramp".

It's not like his brain actually farted...

Quote Originally Posted by jhiller21 View Post
    I personally have eyes that are very sensitive to light. People always ask why I'm wearing sunglasses when it's cloudy. When I was young I had corneal ulcers in both eyes, which left scar tissue and damaged my eyes pretty much for life. I can see just fine with glasses, but it's still debilitating.

If I'm outdoors in any kind of light, I blink a lot and my eyes water. I'm constantly wiping tears away. I'm pretty lucky I didn't go blind at a young age.

They do make contacts that filter out light. Griffey and many other players used to wear them. Maybe Heisey should see an ophthalmologist.
    Me too. And for some reason I have a much harder time focusing on the softball field. I wear contacts, and it seems like there are puddles underneath each of them quite often. I find myself blinking a lot when playing, and often do weird things with my eyes right before each pitch (either at the plate or in the field) much like the description of Heisey. I attribute this mostly to allergies + contacts, but I'm not sure. For some reason, I was thinking Heisey DOES wear contacts, but I'm not sure where I heard that..

Turn Off Ads?