Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB investigating region in PED war - ESPN

Re: MLB investigating region in PED war - ESPN

I am more disappointed to hear this than I am surprised. PED's in pro sports are like college recruiting violations. The mentality is "don't get caught" rather than "don't freaking do it"

2. Turn Off Ads?

This is really a surprise to anyone?

And I reiterate my supposition that the Reds at least had an inkling of suspicion regarding Grandal when they included him in the Latos deal. Obviously it made sense from a depth standpoint, but perhaps the Reds weren't valuing him as highly as his performance might have suggested they should.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    And I reiterate my supposition that the Reds at least had an inkling of suspicion regarding Grandal when they included him in the Latos deal. Obviously it made sense from a depth standpoint, but perhaps the Reds weren't valuing him as highly as his performance might have suggested they should.
    I think that is an obvious assumption. The next wave of nefarious activity is knowing when someone is a user and selling "high" on them.

It's really a shame, but his makes you wonder about guys that "turn the corner" in a year or two, and if they're using. I think baseball is really going to have to stiffen penalties to get this stuff to stop. Lifetime ban for first time offenders?

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    It's really a shame, but his makes you wonder about guys that "turn the corner" in a year or two, and if they're using. I think baseball is really going to have to stiffen penalties to get this stuff to stop. Lifetime ban for first time offenders?
    The basis of many a discussion on here. Passing tests has been proven to be an unreliable basis for innocence.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    The basis of many a discussion on here. Passing tests has been proven to be an unreliable basis for innocence.
    And thus all are guilty... or worthy of accusation

A-Rod and Gio Gonzalez have already released statements saying the allegations against them are false.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    And thus all are guilty... or worthy of accusation

Honestly woy, does every statement of doubt about the effectiveness of MLB's testing regime have to be met with an accusation of McCarthyism? We've recently witnessed the confession of a guy that was tested hundreds of times in the cycling world.

These clinics list names of folks that have never tested positive for banned substances. Is it all that outrageous to suggest that MLB's (and sports as a whole) testing process is an abject failure?

Sure, every athlete deserves the benefit of the doubt, but I'm beyond the point where I'd be surprised to hear any athlete is a PED user.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    Honestly woy, does every statement of doubt about the effectiveness of MLB's testing regime have to be met with an accusation of McCarthyism? We've recently witnessed the confession of a guy that was tested hundreds of times in the cycling world.

These clinics list names of folks that have never tested positive for banned substances. Is it all that outrageous to suggest that MLB's (and sports as a whole) testing process is an abject failure?

Sure, every athlete deserves the benefit of the doubt, but I'm beyond the point where I'd be surprised to hear any athlete is a PED user.
    Blanket accusations are just as bad as saying no one does anything as far as I'm concerned.

The truth lies somewhere in-between, apologists and witch hunts just create noise and false realities.

Blanket accusations are just as bad as saying no one does anything as far as I'm concerned.

The truth lies somewhere in-between, apologists and witch hunts just create noise and false realities.
    No blanket accusations. But if it walks like a duck and sounds like a duck...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    A-Rod and Gio Gonzalez have already released statements saying the allegations against them are false.
    Arod has a long history of an open kimono approach to these matters, so I believe him.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    No blanket accusations. But if it walks like a duck and sounds like a duck...
    True, but not all el pato are guilty no?

True, but not all el pato are guilty no?
    All players are not guilty. But it doesn't take some sort of expert to perform a reasonable analysis.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

mlbtr.com is saying Gio Gonzalez is being linked to PED's by some Miami supplier. Anyone heard anymore about this?

Turn Off Ads?