Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Golf Season Thread

Re: 2013 Golf Season Thread

Phil went very low today and shot a 60. -11 on the round. When he is on he can post some red numbers.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Vijay "Deer Spray" Singh withdraws.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Phil went very low today and shot a 60. -11 on the round. When he is on he can post some red numbers.
    How about the slow-motion lip out on his last putt. So close to 59.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Looks like Phil is good again. Backs up a 60 with a 65 doubling the last. Wow. If he would've parred the last hole, he would've broken the all-time 36 hole score.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

He is so hot and cold. Last week at Torrey he couldnt hit a fairway and in turn couldnt hit those extremely small greens. This week he switches to Callaways new Razr Fit Extreme and cant miss a fairway. Looks like a sweet driver and you can get it in a bunch of different colors but no way Im gonna pay almost 500 for a driver. Ill just wait till next year when its down to 300 or lower. I braved the crowds this year on the day after Thanksgiving anyways to get the RBZ at Dicks for 200 bucks
    "Losing feels worse than winning feels good." -Vin Scully

Phil birdies the last four holes (and five of the last six). He stands at -24 through three rounds and has a six-shot lead on Snedeker and and eight-shot lead on Harrington.

It would be an awesome Masters if Phil, Rory and Tiger all came into Augusta at the top of their games. That would be quite the shootout.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    It would be an awesome Masters if Phil, Rory and Tiger all came into Augusta at the top of their games. That would be quite the shootout.
    It'd be great if 2 of those 3 were duking it out. Heck, if any of the 3 are around the lead it'll be exciting. More the merrier though!

What no one is talking about is how well Phil is putting using the claw grip. It's unreal. I fiddled with it off and on last year, but didn't come close to putting the way Phil has with it. It can help for certain issues, but it's not that easy. I'm impressed.

Another interesting thought: how many guys will switch to the claw grip once the anchoring ban goes into effect?

Life will be a lot of fun this year if Tiger, Phil, and Rory are all at the top of their games.

If a couple of those guys are in the match play final 4, that would be awesome.
    Last edited by MWM; 02-02-2013 at 08:30 PM.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

People that don't follow the PGA tour are seriously missing out. I've followed it my whole life, and I've never been more intrigued with it on a weekly basis than I currently am. So many great players in today's game, and so many guys that are pretty easy to root for. As of this time, Keegan Bradley was probably my least favorite player. The Ryder Cup turned that 180 degrees. Between Phil, Tiger, Rory, DJ, Sneds, etc., there are so many elite players that are just fascinating to follow.

Something is wrong with me though. I was honestly more interested in watching the final round of the Waste Management open than I was the Super Bowl.

11. Likes:

Caveat Emperor (02-05-2013),Redhook (02-05-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    People that don't follow the PGA tour are seriously missing out. I've followed it my whole life, and I've never been more intrigued with it on a weekly basis than I currently am. So many great players in today's game, and so many guys that are pretty easy to root for. As of this time, Keegan Bradley was probably my least favorite player. The Ryder Cup turned that 180 degrees. Between Phil, Tiger, Rory, DJ, Sneds, etc., there are so many elite players that are just fascinating to follow.

Something is wrong with me though. I was honestly more interested in watching the final round of the Waste Management open than I was the Super Bowl.

I wish there were a lot more who gelt this way.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    But people don't watch if Tiger isn't in it!

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    But people don't watch if Tiger isn't in it!
    They don't watch as much for sure, but they still watch. Golf outside of the majors is never going to pull the ratings that the NFL or college football get, but they still have a decent following. Tiger didn't play last weekend and they still did ok from a ratings perspective.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I have a tough time watching golf in the winter because it just makes me wish I lived somewhere where I could be out playing.

Otherwise, I agree completely with what HB is saying. The field is wide open with a lot of really likable dudes playing some tremendously elite golf right now.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Life will be a lot of fun this year if Tiger, Phil, and Rory are all at the top of their games.

If a couple of those guys are in the match play final 4, that would be awesome.
    Looks as though Phil won't be there.

Phil Mickelson plans to miss the Match Play Championship for the third time in the past four years.

Mickelson, coming off a wire-to-wire win in the Phoenix Open, said Thursday his three kids are out of school the week of the Match Play Championship and he will be going on a family trip. He also missed in 2010 and 2012.
    Read more: http://www.golf.com/ap-news/mickelso...#ixzz2KGk5obYK

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    It'd be great if 2 of those 3 were duking it out. Heck, if any of the 3 are around the lead it'll be exciting. More the merrier though!

What no one is talking about is how well Phil is putting using the claw grip. It's unreal. I fiddled with it off and on last year, but didn't come close to putting the way Phil has with it. It can help for certain issues, but it's not that easy. I'm impressed.

Another interesting thought: how many guys will switch to the claw grip once the anchoring ban goes into effect?
    I think most players with the belly putter will go with what Matt Kuchar is doing. The handle of the putter runs along the left forearm of a right handed player. That will be allowed under the proposed rule. The claw grip kind of went out of style after Chris DiMarco experimented with it and other copycats in the early 2000's. I just dont see it making a huge comeback but I could be wrong. Phil is the 2nd most popular American golfer.
    "Losing feels worse than winning feels good." -Vin Scully

Turn Off Ads?