Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Jerry Tarkanian dies at 84...

2. Turn Off Ads?
    The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Re: Jerry Tarkanian dies at 84...

Damn. Two of them in short order. RIP Jerry.

Great coach. I loved the style of play he coached. It was run and gun with very good defense. They were always a lot of fun to watch. I also liked him because he wasn't afraid to take on the NCAA and all of their stupid rules. I think he more than anyone made people aware of the stupidity of some of the rules and the level of corruption the NCAA had and still has to this day. I'm sure Tark will be waiting outside of the Pearly Gates chewing on a towel wondering if he will get in. My bet is that he will. RIP Tark.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

5. Likes:

Revering4Blue (02-13-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Great coach. I loved the style of play he coached. It was run and gun with very good defense. They were always a lot of fun to watch. I also liked him because he wasn't afraid to take on the NCAA and all of their stupid rules. I think he more than anyone made people aware of the stupidity of some of the rules and the level of corruption the NCAA had and still has to this day. I'm sure Tark will be waiting outside of the Pearly Gates chewing on a towel wondering if he will get in. My bet is that he will. RIP Tark.
    My favorite quote by Tark and this is paraphrasing is "the NCAA is so mad about UCLA's cheating they are putting us on probation". Pretty sure he cheated or was existing in the gray area but he still wasn't afraid to call out hipopcrocy.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

7. Likes:

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    My favorite quote by Tark and this is paraphrasing is "the NCAA is so mad about UCLA's cheating they are putting us on probation". Pretty sure he cheated or was existing in the gray area but he still wasn't afraid to call out hipopcrocy.
    I think it was actually that the NCAA was so mad at Kentucky they were going to put Cleveland State on probation.

9. Likes:

Chip R (02-12-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I think it was actually that the NCAA was so mad at Kentucky they were going to put Cleveland State on probation.
    Nah, it was when he was at Fresno St. and St Wooden was at UCLA

“The NCAA is so mad at Kentucky,” Tark famously said,” it’s going to give Cleveland State two more years of probation.”

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcspor...s-passed-away/

By the way, by the time Tark got to Fresno Wooden was long, long gone. Tark was at Long Beach in that timeframe, though.

In fairness, he apparently used that line multiple times, because this one is also credited to him (though the Kentucky one is more well-known):

"The NCAA is so upset at UCLA they’ll put Northridge on two years' probation," he once said.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...0LF23E20150211

In fairness, he apparently used that line multiple times, because this one is also credited to him (though the Kentucky one is more well-known):

"The NCAA is so upset at UCLA they’ll put Northridge on two years' probation," he once said.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...0LF23E20150211
    You are correct, I got Fresno and Long Beach State mixed up. I remember the quote from a Runnin Rebels documentary.

The best basketball IMO is how his teams played, lots of shots, pressure defense, today's college game is a snooze fest compared to that.

RIP.
    Go Gators!

15. Likes:

_Sir_Charles_ (02-12-2015)

I loved that they played the amoeba defense. To this day, I have no idea what the amoeba defense was, but that was the best name for a defense in the history of ever.

17. Likes:

I loved that they played the amoeba defense. To this day, I have no idea what the amoeba defense was, but that was the best name for a defense in the history of ever.
    Name:  9780130691392.OL.0.m.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  7.1 KB

Bought this. Read it cover to cover a couple times. Still not sure what an amoeba defense is.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Turn Off Ads?