Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 38 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Golf Season Thread

Re: 2013 Golf Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    It could be a big advantage to tee off this morning at the Masters. Storms may hit later this afternoon, plus it'll be windier this afternoon. I predict the majority of the Top 10 after 36 holes will come from guys that teed off before 11:00 today.
    If those storms are the same ones that passed through Houston last night, there won't be anyone playing golf in the afternoon. We experienced violent lightning and hail.

2. Turn Off Ads?

That storm took forever to move which made scoring today relatively easy at the Masters. I'm glad it didn't get rained out today. Lots of birdies too!
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

So yeah, way to finally start enforcing the slow play rules when the best storyline of the tournament is on the cut line.

Last person to lose a stroke to slow play was in 1995. Just ridiculous. If they are gonna penalize him then they better start penalizing the rest of the slowpokes out there.

I cannot believe Tiger hit that chip on 15 perfectly 2 times in a row.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    So yeah, way to finally start enforcing the slow play rules when the best storyline of the tournament is on the cut line.

Last person to lose a stroke to slow play was in 1995. Just ridiculous. If they are gonna penalize him then they better start penalizing the rest of the slowpokes out there.
    It did not end up costing him the weekend thank goodness. Day ends up at -6 and that allows Guan and Bubba to make the weekend.

Tough break for Tiger on 15. But I think what really hurt him was the bogey on 18. That hole was playing really easy today and birdies were all over the place. Bogeying that hole was a big miss for him.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Tiger's drop on 15 was illegal. Somehow this is only a story on twitter, but I'm 100% convinced it was illegal. If the networks get wind of this, there is a real chance he could be disqualified.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Tiger's drop on 15 was illegal. Somehow this is only a story on twitter, but I'm 100% convinced it was illegal. If the networks get wind of this, there is a real chance he could be disqualified.
    Interesting. He chose to go back to his original position. I did see a divot a few yards ahead of the area of his second shot. Was that his original divot? If so, then he probably did take an illegal drop.

This brings up a different point. I don't think PGA players should be DQ'd for situations like this. I think a 2-shot penalty would be sufficient for rules violations caught on tv after the fact.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post

I actually heard it was Steve Lowery in 2004, but point well taken. It was absurb that they not only penalized him, but they chose to penalize an amateur. How about penalizing one of the professional turtles? You're telling me that he was the only one with a bad time? Give me a break.

I wish they'd start penalizing slow play on tour. Fines clearly don't work and the pace of play is coming to a screaching halt. Adding shots is the only way to fix the problem. Maybe this will kickstart it?

They're investigating Tiger's eligibility. It's a big story on ESPN right now. Going to be interesting to see how this plays out.

The rule in question says his drop should have been "as nearly as possible" to the original spot where he hit. His drop wound up less than 3 feet from his original divot. I'm not sure you can DQ a guy for that. Any closer he could have landed it in the divot.

The only reason this is even an issue is because of his comments in interviews about hi saying he dropped it a couple of yards behind the original. That shows intent. Had he not said that, this would not be investigated at all as he dropped it right next to the divot. It wound up within a yard of the original. His comments could wind up biting him in the arse.
    Last edited by MWM; 04-13-2013 at 09:06 AM.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

He gets a 2 stroke penalty which drops him from 7th to 19th place on the leaderboard

Man the guys on the Golf Channel are so mad about this ruling, they really take themselves seriously . I actually think it's fair, and for selfish reasons I'm glad he wasn't DQ'd.

http://blogs.golf.com/presstent/2013...html?eref=sihp

Unless I am reading this wrong, Tiger basically admits to cheating.

Woods chose the first option, but admitted that he did not to drop as close as possible to the original spot.“So I went back to where I played it from, but I went two yards further back and I took, tried to take two yards off the shot of what I felt I hit,” Woods said after his round.The ensuing shot “worked out perfectly," Woods said.

Masters released a statement saying that the drop was determined to be close enough and was a legal drop. Even though he intended to drop further back and didn't understand the rule, he actually didn't so the drop was OK.

I guess they penalized him for not understanding? I dunno.

Edit
    Think I misread the statement. They said an official had ruled that the drop was OK at the time so Tiger shouldn't be penalized for signing incorrect scorecard.
    Last edited by Stray; 04-13-2013 at 10:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Unless I am reading this wrong, Tiger basically admits to cheating.
    I'm by no means a golf rules expert, but I think there are drops where you're allowed to go as far back as you want as long as you keep the spot between you and the hole. And had he knowingly bent a rule, I find it hard to believe he'd just admit to it like that. Sounds like he misunderstood the drop rules imo.

Turn Off Ads?