Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 38 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Golf Season Thread

Re: 2013 Golf Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by top6 View Post
    I haven't seen anything suggesting that officials confirmed to him that the drop was correct before he signed his scorecard. But if that is correct then why give him a 2 stroke penalty?
    The way it usually works is that the rules officials will discuss with the player before they sign the scorecard if there's an issue. That way they can assess a penalty instead of having them sign the card and then be DQ'ed. The only time this doesn't happen is if the penalty in question is completely unnoticed until it's too late. In this case, they actually evaluated his drop and determined it was legal.

What's at issue here isn't necessarily whether the drop was legal or not. Even if you conclude it was illegal, that doesn't mean he gets DQ'ed. That just means it's a 2 stroke penalty. The issue is the scorecard. You're not DQ'ed until you sign the card (another incredibly asinine rule of golf). I don't think it's unreasonable for Tiger to conclude that his drop was legal, therefore he can sign the card without worry. He knows all eyes and cameras were on him the entire time. It happened probably an hour before he signed his card. He could have reasonably concluded that if there was a problem with the drop, the rules officials would have had time to review it and would have contacted him had there been an issue.

With all these circumstances coming into play, I don't see how it's fair to disqualify a guy from a tournament he's in contention to win.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

So, in the interview about the incident on CBS just now, the guy talking claimed the "club" (Augusta) was founded on integrity. I almost spit my Coca-Cola out. First African-American Member was in 1990. First female members were in 2012.

Integrity.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    So, in the interview about the incident on CBS just now, the guy talking claimed the "club" (Augusta) was founded on integrity. I almost spit my Coca-Cola out. First African-American Member was in 1990. First female members were in 2012.

Integrity.
    Not defending the discrimination, but how does that show a lack of integrity?
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    Not defending the discrimination, but how does that show a lack of integrity?
    Integrity, by definition is adhering to moral and ethical principles. To have moral character.

You can't claim that when you didn't have an African-American member until 1990, and then it was only because the PGA was breathing down your neck or that you didn't have a female member until 2012. There is no integrity there.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Integrity, by definition is adhering to moral and ethical principles. To have moral character.

You can't claim that when you didn't have an African-American member until 1990, and then it was only because the PGA was breathing down your neck or that you didn't have a female member until 2012. There is no integrity there.
    Perhaps it's a fool's errand to engage in a war of semantics here, but what the heck - it's Saturday.

I know the classical definition of the word "integrity." But ask your average person on the street what it means. In the parlance of our times, (to steal a phrase from the movie after which I am known here) most people equate integrity with honesty. In that context, what the guy said was not egregious.

And if we want to approach this via the classical, literal definition of the word...well, Augusta National was founded upon a code of "white men playing the game of golf the right way." Other than the fact that Tiger doesn't fit the classical definition of a "white man," they're covered here as well.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

It will be incredibly disappointing if Angel Cabrera winds up winning this thing.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    It will be incredibly disappointing if Angel Cabrera winds up winning this thing.
    Why is that? Just curious. He fascinates me.

It's not personal. But the guy is ranked something like 260th in the world. He doesn't even have a top 25 this year. He falls off the face of the earth, then shows up and wins the Masters. It's just my opinion, but I don't like that.

It's not personal. But the guy is ranked something like 260th in the world. He doesn't even have a top 25 this year. He falls off the face of the earth, then shows up and wins the Masters. It's just my opinion, but I don't like that.
    It's what makes him so interesting to me. How he can be elite (and two green jackets and a US Open at Oakmont would be ELITE) and yet doesn't carry it with him on Tour.

To me that's a very intriguing guy. I'm rooting for him, but understand your position. Was just curious.

Like Jack Nicklaus in 86?
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Like Jack Nicklaus in 86?
    You're welcome to equate the two. I'm not going to go. It's a matter of personal preference I guess.

Looking at the leaderboard I like Angel to win tomorrow. Snedeker would be my 2nd pick.

I think Tiger will put pressure on them on the front 9, he'll need a big back 9 to win it tho. Feels like 13-15-16 play a big role in the winner each year. And the Sunday pin placement on 18 is always gettable.

Woods chose the first option, but admitted that he did drop as close as possible to the original spot.
    End of story. Even Tiger admitted that he did not drop as close as possible. I am not sure what all the discussion is about. Even the player himself admitted he did the wrong thing.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    End of story. Even Tiger admitted that he did not drop as close as possible. I am not sure what all the discussion is about. Even the player himself admitted he did the wrong thing.
    I'd never argue that he did the right thing, I just don't believe he knowingly broke the rule for a few reasons.

1) He had just hit a shot that bounced off the pin and bounced in the water, obviously rattled a bit
    2) Had he chosen option 2 to drop at the last point the ball had crossed he could have gone back as far as he wanted, granted he kept that spot between he and the hole
    3) He just came out and admitted it. I don't think Tiger is a cheater in golf, and if I did, I definitely wouldn't think Tiger would ever admit it.

He screwed up and should have been penalized 2 strokes from playing from the wrong spot. The officials decided it was 'close enough' so it wasn't a penalty. Had they realized it was a penalty it would have been addressed in the tent before he signed his scorecard, and he would have signed the correct scorecard.

After all of that, his intent came out because he's a popular player that gets interviewed after rounds. A mistake was brought to light and the rules officials decided it was a violation. With the new rules in place to protect the players from these situations they went back and gave him the original penalty that he should have got to begin with.

I have no idea why people are upset about this. Did he gain an advantage by flubbing up a rule? Yes. Did he get penalized for it? Yes.

The only issue is with the scorecard. And that scorecard was signed after the rules officials were aware of this possible violation and determined that he didn't break a rule.

There was a golf pro on the radio trying to explain Tiger's options.

1) The infamous drop it as close as possible to the spot from where he hit the ball. The option Tiger kinda choose.

2) Go back as far as he wanted in line with where the ball went into the water. This is the tricky part. If the ball had gone directly into the water Tiger's drop would have been fine. It crossed the water, hit the pin and then bounced off the pin in a different and went into the water. The pro on the radio stated that he had to go back in the direction the ball went into the water.

As a footnote, he said nobody can read Tiger's mind but he feels that between Tiger and his caddy they should have known the rule. He also offered up that even if Tiger did not knowingly 'bend the rules', he should have been DQ'd. He says that not knowing the rules should not excuse anyone from the proper penalty. That is his opinion.

If people are of the opinion that golf's rules are obtuse, I would not argue. Simplify them over the winter? Fine. But you still have to play by the rules in place.

Ask Dustin Johnson.

Turn Off Ads?