Turn Off Ads?
Page 34 of 38 FirstFirst ... 24303132333435363738 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Golf Season Thread

Re: 2013 Golf Season Thread

“I think our pension is funded by beers sold on 17."
    -Paul Goydos

http://www.pga.com/17th-hole-tpc-saw...s-championship
    Last edited by SunDeck; 05-10-2014 at 08:34 AM.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

2. Likes:

texasdave (05-10-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Got a hole in one today -- so all virtual drinks are on me today ....

playing greenies and I won the first par three --- next par three the guy I'm playing with sticks his ball 6' from pin and tells me he think he's getting his money back here -- we get to the hole & there is a ball off the back of the green & he tells me guess you didn't get inside of me -- then I point to the cup where my ball is lodged in the cup stuck against the flagstick

ah joys of beating on your friends

yeah -- there are just good shots that get lucky
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

5. Likes:

Kingspoint (05-15-2014),paintmered (05-14-2014),texasdave (05-14-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Raindog View Post
    Got a hole in one today -- so all virtual drinks are on me today ....

playing greenies and I won the first par three --- next par three the guy I'm playing with sticks his ball 6' from pin and tells me he think he's getting his money back here -- we get to the hole & there is a ball off the back of the green & he tells me guess you didn't get inside of me -- then I point to the cup where my ball is lodged in the cup stuck against the flagstick

ah joys of beating on your friends

yeah -- there are just good shots that get lucky
    I am getting virtually hammered in your honor tonight.

Way to go! I've never had a hole in one.

Sportmanship. I feel sorry for the guy, but respect him immensely.

http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/ja...ed-him-us-open

What happened was a scenario unique to golf, the one sport that relies on its players to largely do their own officiating. Millard may have touched the sand ever so slightly with his club before hitting a plugged shot out of a bunker during sectional qualifying in Memphis, Tennessee, last week. It didn't really affect his shot, but "grounding" a club is against the rules and requires a two-shot penalty.No one else saw it. There's no video of the shot. And Millard just isn't sure."Right about the time I was taking my swing is when I saw what I think was an indentation in the sand," he said. "That little image keeps popping up in my head right now. But it happened so fast. I really don't know."Millard signed for a 68-68 score, without a penalty, and wound up earning a spot in the U.S. Open. He wanted to celebrate but couldn't. Not with that shot playing over and over in his mind.Did he ground the club? Was that tiny crevice in the sand really there? Was he just imagining the whole thing?Last Saturday, Millard and his caddie (who wasn't at the sectional qualifier) headed out from Murfreesboro, Tennessee, for the nearly eight-hour drive to Pinehurst. They made it about 90 minutes before Millard pulled into a convenience store and began searching for a number to the U.S. Golf Association.He wouldn't be going any farther.He had decided to turn himself in."There was something in my heart," he said, "telling me this didn't feel right."Millard disqualified himself for signing an erroneous scorecard. If he had taken a two-shot penalty on the day of the qualifier, he still would've missed the Open by a single shot.
    Last edited by texasdave; 06-12-2014 at 11:18 AM.

I think the 20-year old Spieth wins it this weekend. He's going to be a big spark (he already is) in professional golf.

http://www.pgatour.com/content/pgato...yer.34046.html
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Sportmanship. I feel sorry for the guy, but respect him immensely.

http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/ja...ed-him-us-open
    We need more people like him in this world. There's no replacement for honesty and integrity.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Kaymer putting on a clinic right now, with 20/23 fairways at one point this morning. I didn't see GIR, but from what I heard out of the commentators he was really playing some nice golf. Stupidly, I scheduled myself to work and cannot watch live.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    Kaymer putting on a clinic right now, with 20/23 fairways at one point this morning. I didn't see GIR, but from what I heard out of the commentators he was really playing some nice golf. Stupidly, I scheduled myself to work and cannot watch live.
    Unbelievable what Kaymer has done. I was in his kind of position once (obviously on a much lower stage, so the pressure is clearly different), where I was so far ahead early. I kept waiting for someone to get close, but nobody could. It was just one of those tournaments where the course was tough to play (because of weather conditions), but that I was consistently hitting my shots. I actually felt embarrassed and apologetic that I wasn't struggling on the course like everyone else. The course just isn't a problem for Kaymer, and there's no reason he shouldn't continue to hold this lead of eight shots. He probably wins by six shots in the end. He's been ranked #1 before in the World, so it's no fluke what Kaymer is doing. Hope he holds it for the rest of the year. Will be fun to watch.

Are you near Pinehurst, btw? Nice, if you are. Would love to vacation for a couple of years in North Carolina. Get me some hush-puppies.

I lived in Raleigh and my folks lived in Pawleys Island. Sure do miss golfing down there and I still kick myself for never playing at Pinehurst. But mom and dad lived at True Blue and belonged to Litchfield, so I got to play some really nice courses down there; five or six courses are owned by Litchfield. Caledonia/True Blue are both just crazy beautiful and well designed. Litchfield is older, one of those tight, tight courses built back in the 60's. My dad said it was the perfect old guy member's course. In his later years he might only drive the ball 200 yards, but he could hit that hump he knew was next to the left bunker to knock the ball forward en extra ten yards. That course has a zillion of those little idiosyncrasies.

65/65 for Kaymer. Just crazy. I did get to see Phil get to the edge and slide back yesterday. He seems like he just presses too hard at the US Open.

I did get to see Phil get to the edge and slide back yesterday. He seems like he just presses too hard at the US Open.
    He struggled with focus on his putts. He couldn't get the birdies....the 10-20 footers. In my youth, I didn't know it at the time, but I was using visualization. When I could see the whole shot, I could repeat it. That's what it seemed that Tiger did when he was young. Then, as most of us, too many things got into his head and that kind of focus is just harder to maintain when you get older. A lot of it is that I just don't have the passion to focus that hard, either. I think it's why so many struggle after winning a huge tournament, like Bubba after his first Masters, last year's U.S. Open Champion. Sometimes guys do better after they get a divorce. Saw a friend yesterday who retired after 30 years (highly underpaid during the entire time), and he looked happier than I've ever seen him. A weight was lifted off of his shoulder.

I think Phil just has too much on his plate sometimes. Of course, six 2nd place finishes at the U.S. Open is some other type of situation all together.

Visualizing a nice right to left ten footer is a lot easier than a down hill slider. I think that's huge; when I see a shot, the flight, the trajectory, etc, I am more relaxed. I often wonder how many times a pro comes to a hole and doesn't see how to play it, from tee to green.

Visualizing a nice right to left ten footer is a lot easier than a down hill slider. I think that's huge;
    Those pin placements were unbelievable yesterday. A lot of tap-and-pray. Visualizing those are pretty difficult, since it's out of your control so quickly.

The US Open continues to be the most unwatchable of all the majors and the USGA seems to be content to continue making weekend setups to where no one will be able to make a charge. Survival golf is boring to the many golf fans....this one included. Ratings for the event are way down once again. I used to enjoy watching the US Open. Now I find myself looking for something else to watch on father's day.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I didn't get to watch hardly any golf today, but I wish I could have. Michelle Wie finally won a major, the US Open. Great for her and golf.

Kevin Streelman birdied his last 7 holes to win the Travelers by one shot. He shot a 28 on the back. Absolutely incredible.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Turn Off Ads?