Turn Off Ads?
Page 35 of 38 FirstFirst ... 253132333435363738 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Golf Season Thread

Re: 2013 Golf Season Thread

No talk of the Open Championship? Rory might be running away with it, and Tiger just mustered his first birdie of the day on 18 (following a triple at 17) to make the cut on the number. Phil isn't too far out of the mix IF Rory comes back to the pack.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    No talk of the Open Championship? Rory might be running away with it, and Tiger just mustered his first birdie of the day on 18 (following a triple at 17) to make the cut on the number. Phil isn't too far out of the mix IF Rory comes back to the pack.
    It's because we're all too tired to get online after watching it live during the middle of the night.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

4. Likes:

Razor Shines (07-20-2014)

Things don't look good for Tiger. Backs are a tricky thing. Especially for a guy like this who puts so much torque in that area. Apparently the surgery he had wasn't the answer

McIlroy/Fowler...1...2.

Half-way through the PGA.

Surprise, surprise.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

I have the tiniest interest in golf, but I might actually watch some of this final round. It seems like it has been a good tournament and looks to be headed for a nice finish.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

The guys who shout are annoying, but they are shouting before the players follow throughs are finished. That ain't right.

9. Likes:

Chip R (08-10-2014),Kingspoint (08-11-2014)

This has turned into Muni Golf.

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    The guys who shout are annoying, but they are shouting before the players follow throughs are finished. That ain't right.
    And get off my lawn.

You saw a classic if you watched the final round.

13. Likes:

Chip R (08-11-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Things don't look good for Tiger. Backs are a tricky thing. Especially for a guy like this who puts so much torque in that area. Apparently the surgery he had wasn't the answer
    I hate to see a great talent like Woods go down to what looks like a career threatening injury. It makes the number 18 look that much more incredible to me, even as Rory puts himself on the path as the next to have a run at it.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    I hate to see a great talent like Woods go down to what looks like a career threatening injury. It makes the number 18 look that much more incredible to me, even as Rory puts himself on the path as the next to have a run at it.
    Hopefully Tiger can get healthy, because he certainly isn't right now. He needs to reinvent his game a bit and stop trying to play like he's 28. He certainly has the skill level to do it if he wants. You can play golf for a long time and he was pretty good as recently as last year, he just needs to take the time.

Yesterday was great and one of the better majors in recent memory, probably since the Master's that Schwartzl won a couple years ago. Rory just destroys the golf ball. I was rooting for Fowler, but really it was a great story if any of those 3 guys won, which is why I was sure that Stenson was going to win.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Hopefully Tiger can get healthy, because he certainly isn't right now. He needs to reinvent his game a bit and stop trying to play like he's 28. He certainly has the skill level to do it if he wants. You can play golf for a long time and he was pretty good as recently as last year, he just needs to take the time.

Yesterday was great and one of the better majors in recent memory, probably since the Master's that Schwartzl won a couple years ago. Rory just destroys the golf ball. I was rooting for Fowler, but really it was a great story if any of those 3 guys won, which is why I was sure that Stenson was going to win.
    Tiger is done in the essence that he will never come close to what he once was. Phil made the point that Tiger grinded out his first round in the PGA. Tiger used to grind with the best of them but what really separated him from the field was his raw power and skill. Its one thing for a golfer to be a grinder, but couple that with being the best athlete on tour and you get Tiger. Now there are too many golfers who can do what Tiger used to.

Over under on number of majors Tiger wins from here on out, 1.5. What do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Tiger is done in the essence that he will never come close to what he once was. Phil made the point that Tiger grinded out his first round in the PGA. Tiger used to grind with the best of them but what really separated him from the field was his raw power and skill. Its one thing for a golfer to be a grinder, but couple that with being the best athlete on tour and you get Tiger. Now there are too many golfers who can do what Tiger used to.

Over under on number of majors Tiger wins from here on out, 1.5. What do you have?
    I would take the over. I agree that he will never be as good as he used to be, but he doesn't have to be either.
    I think at some point he will realize that his health issues are because of his swing and he will alter that and be able to stay healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I'd say under. He's going to be 39 in December and he's had back and knee surgery. Golf and back problems are not a good combination for the weekend duffer much less a pro who is supposed to be one of the greatest in the history of the game. Not a lot of players win majors in their late 30s and 40s. If a player in that age range has back and knee issues, the odds are that much more stacked against him. I don't think he'll ever win a U.S. Open again. It's just too much of a physical challenge not to mention the way the courses are set up. I can see him contending in a few Masters over the next 20 years and he may even be in the hunt for the green jacket but at the end he probably won't win unless someone screws up. I could see him winning a British Open or two if the conditions are right - like this year. If Watson almost pulled it off a dew years ago, why not Tiger? He probably won't win a PGA but it's a distinct possibility.

I know Phil is in his mid 40s and he's contending for Masters and Opens and PGAs but the difference between him and Tiger is that the worst thing physically that's happened to Phil is arthritis. You're right that Tiger won't ever be close to what he was. But that's not a knock on Tiger. The only athlete who got better in his late 30s and 40s was Barry Bonds and we know how he did it. Besides, about the only thing Bonds could do then was hit. He sure couldn't run, field or throw. Age does it to everyone whether it's MJ or Tiger or Montana or Griffey. Even if you're super-healthy the skills are eventually going to erode and if you're not, they will erode quicker.

Tiger's always going to be a draw and a lightening rod for criticism. I don't know how the PGA's ratings were this weekend but I'll bet they would have been better if Tiger made the cut.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I mentioned that I have the tiniest interest in golf, but I keep seeing the same dudes on the leaderboard. Fowler, McIlroy, Day, Mickelson, and a few others always seem to be in contention at majors and that consistency will make it hard for an already struggling Tiger to reassert himself. I would go under 1.5.

Turn Off Ads?