Turn Off Ads?
Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 283435363738

Thread: 2013 Golf Season Thread

Re: 2013 Golf Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    It was total bush league and I don't blame Tiger for responding to it.
    But was it the smart thing to do? There's an old saying: Never get into an argument with someone who buys ink by the barrel. Why draw attention to it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    But was it the smart thing to do? There's an old saying: Never get into an argument with someone who buys ink by the barrel. Why draw attention to it?
    Whether or not it was "smart" depends on the criteria being used and what the objective was to begin with. I think that sometimes the "right" thing to do isn't necessarily the "smart" thing to do strictly from a publicity standpoint. I believe this is one of those times. I read the piece and it made me lose a lot of respect for Jenkins. It may have led to a lot more people reading it who otherwise wouldn't have, but it's possible many of those people will walk away with the same impression I did.

It's hard to make Tiger Woods a sympathetic character, but this may have done exactly that. Tiger has claimed for a lot of years that he's a target of certain media personalities. This just reinforces what he's been saying for year, IMO. Sports writers who wind up with a personal grudge against an athlete can really make themselves look foolish at time. I used to like John Feinstein but have pretty much lost all respect for the guy with his obvious personal dislike for Tiger. I don't have a lot of love for Tiger myself, but seeing how some media folks have become consumed with dislike for the guy just makes them look petty. This made Jenkins look petty and egotistical to me. I don't care how many majors he's covered.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    So, like everything that has to do with Tiger, this "interview" caused some controversy. Even Tiger attacked it. So, was it satire and parody or was it a vile, personal attack?

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-tours...iew-with-tiger
    It was just not very good. I mean the guy was practically "LOLing" at his own jokes throughout the "interview".
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Tiger shot an 82 and then says to the media after "I'm just doing this so I don't get fined." I wasn't planning on watching the post round presser but it was one of those things where the video automatically played and that made me laugh. He seemed a lot less stand off-ish than he's been in the past after a bad round. I don't know what that means though.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sport...dale/22589885/

RIP Tiger Woods career. It was great while it lasted. Thanks for the memories.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Yeah, I guess Jack can turn his focus to Rory now.

RIP Tiger Woods career. It was great while it lasted. Thanks for the memories.
    Yeah. He seemed extremely optimistic though. When I watched part of his round yesterday and saw his score I immediately thought the same thing, "Oh, Tiger is done." But then listening to him there was that small part of me that thought "Oh, no he's working it out, he'll be back." But I do think that the part of me that thinks that is purely nostalgia and hope, everything else says he's pretty much done.

I wouldn't put too much into this weekend. He should play a lot of tournaments just to get some reps. I just don't he has the durability anymore. It's good to hear him say it wasn't anything physical, but that's his biggest obstacle.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I wouldn't put too much into this weekend. He should play a lot of tournaments just to get some reps. I just don't he has the durability anymore. It's good to hear him say it wasn't anything physical, but that's his biggest obstacle.
    His physical issues were the problem, but I think it's mostly mental now. For golfers, that's a bigger issue. Most athletes, including golfers, deal with injuries from time to time, but once your confidence goes it's tough to get it back. He doesn't have an injury excuse anymore. He is rusty so I'll hold complete judgement until I see him play a couple more tournaments, but man is he a mess right now.

Tiger has struggled with his swing, mainly the driver, for a long time now. He's so out of sorts. To be honest, I'm not quite sure what he's working on. Without getting technical, the one drill that I believe would help him tremendously is the pause drill. It's similar to how Hideki Matsuyama swings it, but it would be with a slightly longer pause at the top. This would help him get the club back in front of him.

Now the short game. Yeesh. Tiger is used to struggling with the full swing, but his short game always saved him. He could win hitting it like garbage because his short game was arguably the best of all time. Now, it's an unmitigated disaster. It's shocking and sad how bad it is. He's scared to death to chip it. If he doesn't have the yips yet, he's probably not too far away. And once you get them, it's very, very difficult to get rid of them. I've had them with the driver and putter so I know how debilitating it can be. If he has them, he may never recover. Or, if he does, it might be too late in his career. We should know pretty soon as he's heading to one of his "home" courses at Torrey Pines. If he can't chip and pitch there, he could be in big trouble.

I always said I'd never bet against him, but I'm finally at that point where I don't think he's going to play well.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

I think Tiger's back is just broken beyond repair. On his 3rd hole today, he winced in pain again after his tee shot. I never thought I'd see the day where Tiger's problems were mental, but that's what I've thought it going on this year. But it's also possible, that he has so little confidence in his back's ability to hold up, that this could be what's driving all his mental problems. It's tough to be strong mentally, if you're waiting for the next injury on every shot.

I think Tiger's back is just broken beyond repair. On his 3rd hole today, he winced in pain again after his tee shot. I never thought I'd see the day where Tiger's problems were mental, but that's what I've thought it going on this year. But it's also possible, that he has so little confidence in his back's ability to hold up, that this could be what's driving all his mental problems. It's tough to be strong mentally, if you're waiting for the next injury on every shot.
    He just WD after 11 holes. Seems like a back injury.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    He just WD after 11 holes. Seems like a back injury.
    He's a hot mess.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

I always think back to Dan Jenkins' old comment that the only things that could derail Tiger were a bad back or a bad marriage, and at this point Tiger's had both.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Tiger's going to take a break from tournament golf.

http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/1...needs-lot-work
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?