Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your First Reds Game

Re: Your First Reds Game

Not being from the area I didn't have much chances to go to games untill I was older and had the means to not only get tickets, but have the extra money needed for a road trip. So the game I went to was back in the 2007 season in late May against the Pirates. We had Harang on the mound and our seats were in LF. I wanted to sit out their because Dunn was my favorite Red than and I wanted to be closest to his area. This was before I was apart of any Reds message boards and was suprised at the amount of taunting Reds fans had towards Dunn. Bought my first Reds jersey that day (white Griffey) and unfortunatly we lost the game.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I will never forget my first Reds game. It was September 17th 1983. I was just shy of five years old and it was Goodbye Johnny night at Riverfront Stadium. We were fortunate enough to be sitting about 15 rows behind the opponents batting circle in the blue seats. Now I couldn't tell you (from memory) if it was the first or ninth inning, but the crowd began to cheer as Johnny Bench stepped up to the plate. My Dad stood me up on his lap and as the pitcher went into his windup, I yelled "Hit a home run Johnny," and he did. Now, obviously he didn't hit the home run for me, hear my exclamation, or probably even care that I was in the ballpark that day, but at that moment in time, Johnny Bench made the life of a four year old boy.

I still get teary-eyed at the memory. It was simply amazing, the joy I felt. Still to this day, I have the program framed and a framed "certificate of attendence" with my ticket stub taped to it and my name hand-written on it by my father.

God, I love the Reds!!!
    "I'd walk through hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball." - Pete Rose

4. Likes:

757690 (03-29-2013),bounty37h (02-20-2013)

^^

Wow, what a memorable first game. I can't even imagine how amazing that must have been... and to have that memory for the rest of your life.

There's something about baseball that allows these memories/experiences to happen... I don't know what it is, but it sure is the greatest sport on earth!

August 26, 1972. I remember my first view of the field as we walked out of the tunnel. It was a complete sensory overload. We were in the red seats in left field, and I realized at an early age that television only gives you a small portion of the baseball experience. The game was a loss to Steve Carlton and the Phillies. I remember Tony Perez homered and Bench played right field. Yeah, I thought I was wrong about that too, but the boxscore confirms it. You never forget your first time. It just never lasts long enough.
    Last edited by 64red; 02-15-2013 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Kentucky grammar

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...99809130.shtml

First Reds game and Major League game

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by POBR25 View Post
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...99809130.shtml

First Reds game and Major League game
    Yikes! Unless you are a D-Back fan, or know the Benes family that is a terrible first game. I am surprised you came back.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

9. Likes:

bamatank (02-21-2013)

June 28, 1975 vs. San Diego. Reds won in extra innings on a George Foster home run. Gary Nolan started the game. Willie McCovey homered for the Padres. Johnny Bench won the pre-game cow milking contest. Seriously.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

11. Likes:

bamatank (02-21-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain13 View Post
    Yikes! Unless you are a D-Back fan, or know the Benes family that is a terrible first game. I am surprised you came back.
    I was 8 years old, just loved baseball and didn't have a team to root for. After Casey broke up Benes' no-no my dad had to explain what happened becuase I didn't have clue. Thus, my Cincinnati Red fandom was born.

I was in Cincinnati visiting my relatives. This must have been in the late 60's. They were playing the Pirates and Tony Perez was filling in for Lee May and he hit a homerun over the scoreboard. The Reds won. My memory is a little fuzzy on all of this but i do remember the
    homerun and the Reds winning. I remember thinking this guy is gonna be good.

Sometime in 1990, late in the season I believe. I was only 4 and they played the Pirates. I remember my brother screaming his head off a couple times after they shot off fire works. Guess someone hit a home run for the Reds.
    I've said all winter — they talk about this team winning the division — and my comment is, they won't win it because, at the end of the day, they still are the Chicago Cubs, and they will figure out a way to screw this whole thing up. - Marty Brennaman

J. Bench retirement night, september 1983?

My first game was April 7, 1974, a 5-3 loss to the Braves at Riverfront. I was 11 and our Little League team went. I didn't realize at the time that Hank Aaron could have hit 715 at any time. He went 0-3 that day, then broke Babe's record the next night in Atlanta.

The funny thing is that if Aaron had hit a HR that night, I would have been enraged. At that age, history didn't mean anything to me. It was all whether the Reds won or lost.

Opening day 1980. Big 9-0 win against the Braves. Too bad I was 4 years old and don't remember being there at all.

I went to my first game in 95 with my dad when I was 7. Sat in the nose bleed seats behind the plate. Don't remember much about the game. Though I will always remember a group of guys that got so drunk they were asked to leave.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Kid Glove Game against the Tigers in 1976

Turn Off Ads?