Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your First Reds Game

Your First Reds Game

What was the first Reds game you attended? What do you remember about it?

I was very fortunate as my first game was the last game at Crosley Field. I was just 9 years old at the time, but I'll never forget the Reds hitting back to back home runs in the 8th inning to defeat the Giants. Following the win, I got to witness the helicopter flying in to take home plate over to that new stadium, Riverfront.

Two families packed into an old red station wagon to make the 3 hour trip from SW Indiana for my first big league game...what a great memory.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Your First Reds Game

Last edited by goreds2; 01-27-2013 at 09:19 PM. Reason: spelling
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

I didn't participate in the old thread so I'll do it here. My first Reds game was actually in '06 against the Nationals in Washington. We lost the game(like we always did during that time), but it was still an awesome experience.

Aug 1983-my parents drove the family from NC to Pittsburgh to see Johnny Bench for my birthday-he was my favorite player. I recall being amazed a teh size of the stadium, as it was my first big league experience, having only gone to Durham Bulls games before that. I think (never looked into it to confirm) that Bench hit his last road homer that game.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Thank God for baseball reference

It was May 1 1982.....I was 7 and at Riverfront just a few rows from the top with the Cub Scouts. My biggest memory was beating St Louis 10-1. That is odd because the Reds were the worst team losing 101 games and the Cardinals won the WS. Soto pitched the complete game. Jim Kaat (who began pitching in 1959) was the loser. Driessen, Cedeno and Concepcion carried the offense.

And I got lost and the security officer had to help me find my group.

June 18 1977 Olympic Stadium (Montreal)
    Tom Seaver's 2nd start as a RED I don't remember much about the game. I was 9 at the time other than seaver pitching and just missing a Pete Rose Batting practice home run .

I went to so many as a child, I can't remember exactly (which is kind of sad).

As a late 80's/early 90's child, I do remember the bright sectioned seating and the astroturf of Cinergy Field. I remember walking through the dim lit corridors and seeing the green turf. I don't remember many wins, but I can't complain. A day (or night) and the ballpark, is better than a day at home.

Not sure of the date, early 80's with the Ryan Express playing for the Astros pitching against my Reds. After Nolan warmed up he signed some autographs but declined to sign my Reds hat.....lol. Thinking back it seems unusual that a starting pitcher would sign before he took the mound, ESP a competitor like Ryan. He did shake my hand though....I was 7 or 8.....

I'm going to try to find out when the date of mine was. Paul O'Neill either hit a homerun in the 9th to win it. Would have been somewhere between 90-92 I will have to get with my old man and see if he remembers. Its cool now that the Reds give first game certificates to the little ones.

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

August 17, 1963

I was 11 years old and it was a late birthday present.

Beat the Cubs 2-1

I was happy and even more so because my parents were Cub fans

Saw my favorite player - Vada Pinson & some guy named Rose

Nuxie got a save!

I kept the scorecard for a long time -- until my mother cleaned out my room when I left for college.

The stadium was not even close to filled so we got to move to better seats than what my parents had purchased.

No autographs though.
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

Quote Originally Posted by cinredsfan2000 View Post
    Tom Seaver's 2nd start as a RED I don't remember much about the game. I was 9 at the time other than seaver pitching and just missing a Pete Rose Batting practice home run .
    Interesting. My first Reds game (excluding Spring Training) was also 1977 in Montreal. I think my game was in August though. I was 13 at the time.

I remember HATING that Tony Perez was wearing an Expo jersey instead of a Reds jersey (one of the dumbest moves the Reds ever made IMO, trading doggie).

I also remember that there was a very loud and obnoxious woman "fan," who was talking loud and paying no attention to the game and generally annoying everyone within earshot (about 100 yards!), and she got absolutely DRILLED in the chest with a foul line drive because she wasn't even watching the game. Her beer went flying up in the air. Although I was sorry she got hit so hard, I couldn't help thinking that it was a bit interesting that the ball picked her to hit.

Anyway the Reds lost, but we followed the team to Philly and stayed in the same hotel as the Reds and got to have breakfast with Sparky Anderson and Pedro Borbon in the Philadephia Hilton diner 2 days later.

Reds 5-Giants 3, April of '82...a fun thing to do, especially for those of us where it was LONG ago--google "old boxscores" and find your game...

Quote Originally Posted by cinredsfan2000 View Post
    I am fairly certain that was Tom's Seaver's first game as a Red. What a gem he pitched. I remember watching it on TV. One of my all-time favorite Reds. His poster is framed in my house.

From the Reds Hall of Fame website:

"Veteran Reds fans remember well the day Tom Seaver came to Cincinnati. On June 15, 1977, hours before the trade deadline, the Reds sent pitcher Pat Zachry, infielder Doug Flynn and minor league outfielders Dan Norman and Steve Henderson to the New York Mets for Seaver, arguably the game's best pitcher. It was incredible."
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

I was 16, 1973, late June, down by the river on a warm summer night in the back seat of my 69 Chevelle. The balls were flying out and a home run was approaching, uh, wait, do I have this right?

Funny thing is I saw the Reds in Montreal in the summer of 1977, June. Who'd of thunk it.

Pastor, dad and husband Mr Larkin's Avatar

April 27, 1990 at Riverfront. I live in Virginia and had been a life long fan but never gone to a game until I traveled with my college team to a tourney in Georgetown, Kentucky. The game was rained out and rescheduled and we had a free evening and our coach took us to Cincy to see the Reds. It was beyond thrilling. Reds won in the bottom of the 9th. It was Zane Smith v. Tom Browning and it was done in less than two and a half hours.
    My love for the Reds only grew after that first live experience.

Turn Off Ads?