Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Don Mattingly wants Scott Rolen...

Re: Don Mattingly wants Scott Rolen...

Thanks for all the kind comments & no bashing...If he decides to play I only see him LA bound if the Reds don't want him...His family is in Indiana & that's everything to him...I'm glad people noticed what he brought to the team...I've said this before & hate to repeat myself but the night before Scott showed up in Cincy...I watched the game & was blown away how bad they were....Joey was the only one I saw with some real effort...I thought they looked like a bad minor league team...I love Brandon but on that day his attitude was horrible!...I thought "Oh no Scottie...this is just scary"....The TV guys just kept saying...'you think a guy would try to make an effort'...Well, Scottie doen't play that game...it's all or nothing'...That is why I'm proud of him...he took the time to work with every player & also wasn't shy on some harsh words'...I'm so glad baseball is back in Cincy & I believe it's here to stay....I wish Scottie would stay with the team in some capacity if he can't play & if he doesn't, I believe he taught enough that the team can take it from here...Also really love Frazier's enthusiasm & I think he will become the leader as far as being vocal with his excitement!.....

GO REDS!!!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Here's the latest on the soap opera

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...on-unanswered/

I don't know if there is a more likeable guy in baseball than Rolen. Nothing would make me happier than for his return to make sense from a baseball standpoint.... I just don't see it.

While there is little doubt in my mind as to the positive impact Mr. Rolen has had on the success and development of this young team, I can't figure out how exactly he would fit with our current roster. With Rolen, you're basically getting an injury-prone, depleted bat capable of playing only one position, a position he no longer masters (to say the least). After signing Hannahan, it appeared to me that he would act as the backup to Frazier and as an occasional left-handed bat off the bench. Signing Rolen would only throw a wrench in that.

So who goes? Paul, a serviceable, cheap left-handed bat and 5th outfielder? Hannahan, who is virtually a one-position sub like Rolen? Donald, the only backup on our roster that can play shortstop and second-base?

Again, I just don't see Scott as a fit. At this point in his career, he doesn't bring enough value to the table to really make him a worthwhile investment, and while I get that he has that certain element of veteran leadership so many teams find important these days, I don't think that alone can justify the amount of cash he's going to be asking for. Unless he can accept his role on the team and lower his salary expectations as a result, I think it may be time to bid him adieu. Let him go to LA if he wants to play.

6. Likes:

Revering4Blue (01-31-2013)

If Rolen wants to come back, the Reds should sign him back.

For all those who think it's too late and we've already signed Hannahan. Consider what might happen if Votto's knee isn't 100% and he re-injures it sliding into 2b during spring training? Do you really want Hannahan in a starting role? Or would you rather have Rolen availabel to start 30 games if needed?

Heisey provides the primary insurance for the outfield. Paul is only the 5th outfielder.

So it really makes Rolen a more valuable insurance piece than Paul in my opinion.

Hannahan has over 225 innings of experience playing first. Hannahan has hit better over the course of the past two seasons. And the Reds just signed him to a two-year contract, with a team option for a third. I think he is making the team.
    Both Hannahan and Rolen are not making this team. That would leave the Reds without a middle infield backup. I say this because Xavier Paul is the left-handed bat off the bench. He is making the team.
    Donald is the middle infield backup. He makes the team.
    If Rolen had let the Reds know that he wanted to come back he would have a spot. I think the moves have been made though. JMO.

One more thing. I am wrong a lot.

9. Likes:

redsrolen (02-01-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by JB12 View Post
    I've never been a part of a major league clubhouse, but I sometimes wonder how "invaluable" this so called leadership/persona actually is.

I understand Scott's importance to the team, and I am in no way questioning that. He has been vital to the organization's success in recent years, and I fully acknowledge that.

However, if the current Reds roster (excluding Rolen) cannot in some way fill Scott Rolen's presence, leadership, mentoring, and performance on the field, then I feel something is wrong. This team has plenty of guys that have been in the league and are seasoned veterans that can relay his leadership/mentoring abilities. All I'm saying is, it's time to take the next step forward and I think they are fully prepared without Scott Rolen.

IF he decides to return as a backup (which is highly unlikely), I gladly accept him. Although, he isn't worth much as bench player, considering his only position is 3b.

Just my .02.
    I have never been part of a clubhouse either... but I think that leadership is critical to the success of almost every communal endeavor.

I disagree with your assumption that leadership is based on simply age and experience. The vast majority of humans will never be able to lead... no matter how old or how experienced they get. Almost every military in the world for the last few centuries used/uses leadership schemes where less experienced are often placed in charge (My West Point Cadets, within a year of graduation, would be leading soldiers with 15 years in the Army).

I have had the opportunity to watch Scott Rolen in multiple settings, and simply put, the man exudes leadership charisma... not just over teammates, but over fans and strangers. I would say that this is his most "elite" skill.

What I am not sure about, however, is if he can retain this skill without his baseball prowess. One critical aspect of leadership is self confidence... if Scott's confidence is based on his ability to perform on the field, then as those skills continue to fade, so will his leadership skill.

Dusty appears to try to use the British Naval Officer personality of leadership... you know... the type that are totally unflappable... where nothing is ever serious enough to get excited about. This can be very effective to relieve the stress that can inhibit performance, but it is most effective when he has a "follow me as we charge this hill" type of leader on the team. I do not think any of the other current folks on the roster have exhibited the potential to be this type of leader, with the possible exception of Frazier, but he is still a year or two away from evolving to that level.

Do I think we should resign Rolen... dunno. But one thing I am certain about is that leadership is rare and it DOES matter.

Brisco

11. Likes:

redsrolen (02-01-2013)

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Brisco,
    Those same West Point cadets rely heavily on the senior NCO leadership in the units they go to. Most senior officers wil tell you that a good senior NCO helped them become what they are. While age isnt to much of a factor to leadership...experience sure is.

Schnickelfritz

Rolen has gotten this team into a winning mindset and I think Votto et al, can take it from here. It's time to part ways. Or have him added to the coaching lineup.

Let him go to LA, if he wanted to be here so bad he would/should have let us known a long time ago before we spent our money elsewhere this winter. He's will want to be paid nicely even if he took a pay cut from last year, so if we have the money in reserve to pay him I would rather use it on other holes and not on a player who's been hurt forever and about to be 38 and could only post a .698 OPS the last two year despite playing in a great hitters park.

Quote Originally Posted by Brisco View Post
    I have never been part of a clubhouse either... but I think that leadership is critical to the success of almost every communal endeavor.

I disagree with your assumption that leadership is based on simply age and experience. The vast majority of humans will never be able to lead... no matter how old or how experienced they get. Almost every military in the world for the last few centuries used/uses leadership schemes where less experienced are often placed in charge (My West Point Cadets, within a year of graduation, would be leading soldiers with 15 years in the Army).

I have had the opportunity to watch Scott Rolen in multiple settings, and simply put, the man exudes leadership charisma... not just over teammates, but over fans and strangers. I would say that this is his most "elite" skill.

What I am not sure about, however, is if he can retain this skill without his baseball prowess. One critical aspect of leadership is self confidence... if Scott's confidence is based on his ability to perform on the field, then as those skills continue to fade, so will his leadership skill.

Dusty appears to try to use the British Naval Officer personality of leadership... you know... the type that are totally unflappable... where nothing is ever serious enough to get excited about. This can be very effective to relieve the stress that can inhibit performance, but it is most effective when he has a "follow me as we charge this hill" type of leader on the team. I do not think any of the other current folks on the roster have exhibited the potential to be this type of leader, with the possible exception of Frazier, but he is still a year or two away from evolving to that level.

Do I think we should resign Rolen... dunno. But one thing I am certain about is that leadership is rare and it DOES matter.

Brisco
    First of all, thanks for your post.

I disagree with your assumption that leadership is based on simply age and experience.
    I am not basing my premise on this assumption. I fully believe there are capable leaders on this Reds team. I believe Rolen's mentoring and advice expedited this team's learning curve and propelled them forward, however, I don't think he leaded them into the playoffs last year, certainly not on the field. That is not to say, I don't feel the same way about the 2010 team. I think he played a much larger part on the field (obviously) and in the club house.

I suppose this is all subjective though. I'm not sure how you can tell Rolen exudes leadership. To me, he's always seemed like a quiet guy and I've heard he's vocal behind the scenes. I certainly don't see how you can state that the only player on this team that possibly possesses Rolen's leadership qualities is Todd Fraizer. I am a big Fraizer guy, but I've seen nothing indicative of "leader" that I'm yet to see in other guys.

I think we oftentimes forget Votto's importance as a leader to this team. He is not vocal by any sense of the word but he is definite leader in terms of work ethic and performance on the field. I think (or would like to think) other's on the team see this as well.

But one thing I am certain about is that leadership is rare and it DOES matter.
    I agree, it definitely does matter. All I'm saying is that I feel that this team has capable leaders already on the roster that can get them to the next step (hopefully being a WS appearance and WIN!) Maybe they won't fill the big shoes of Rolen, but I think at this point, they don't need to. As much as I loved watching Scott, I think his time on this team (as a player) is over.

Again, thanks for the response!

Quote Originally Posted by bigfunguy View Post
    cant see him leaving hte midwest...
    I'm doubtful as well, but Mattingly and Rolen are from the same general area in southwest Indiana and probably have a personal relationship that could sway Rolen. I'd guess if its not in Cincy or an unlikely return to St, Louis, playing for Mattingly would be Rolen's only other option that he may consider.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Turn Off Ads?