Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MLB considering banning the fake to third, throw to first pickoff

MLB considering banning the fake to third, throw to first pickoff

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...-pickoff-play/

Well, not banning it, but calling it a balk. It rarely ever works, but it's still part of the game. I'm not sure how I feel about it. I'm just sad I'll never get to hear Marty say "And that's a play that hasn't worked since Abner Doubleday invented the game".

2. Turn Off Ads?
    part of BBN

Re: MLB considering banning the fake to third, throw to first pickoff

Quote Originally Posted by jhiller21 View Post
    http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...-pickoff-play/

Well, not banning it, but calling it a balk. It rarely ever works, but it's still part of the game. I'm not sure how I feel about it. I'm just sad I'll never get to hear Marty say "And that's a play that hasn't worked since Abner Doubleday invented the game".
    True...and ever time he says it, I want to say to the radio "it actually has worked a time or two Marty ! "

Quote Originally Posted by jmac View Post
    True...and ever time he says it, I want to say to the radio "it actually has worked a time or two Marty ! "
    i remember him saying "if you get thrown out on that play, you shouldn't even be on a major league roster"

well, something along those lines lol
    There are 3 guarantees in life; death, taxes, and the leadoff walk coming around to score.

No need for this play in the game of baseball, therefore I agree with the ruling.

It should be a balk, as it's only a time filler and/or scheme to get batter's to show their hands early.

It probably should be called a balk the intent is to fool the runner, which the intent of the balk rule is to keep that from happening. Therefore it makes sense to call it as such.

But the spin to second is OK, right??
    I get that its cheap and never works, but as a purist, I prefer leaving the game alone.

Quote Originally Posted by JB12 View Post
    No need for this play in the game of baseball, therefore I agree with the ruling.

It should be a balk, as it's only a time filler and/or scheme to get batter's to show their hands early.
    Agreed. It's a part of the game I find endlessly frustrating. If they make the rule change, it will be interesting to see if some pitchers that are accustomed to using the move as a way to buy some time/get their composure still occasionally do it out of habit.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Quote Originally Posted by bigfunguy View Post
    But the spin to second is OK, right?? I get that its cheap and never works, but as a purist, I prefer leaving the game alone.
    I've seen a lot of guys picked off second base in my lifetime. It's not that uncommon.
    Last edited by New York Red; 01-28-2013 at 05:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    I've seen a lot of guys picked off second base in lifetime. It's not that uncommon.
    I assume he meant when nobody is covering.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Salukifan2

It is a part of the game. It is used to get a batter to show a bunt early and it is also used for stalling, which whether you like it or not, is part of the game. Why don't we get rid of mound visits by the catchers?

If we want to stop delays in the game lets make a rule that the only time a player other than the pitcher can come to the mound is if a coach is making a visit as well.

I'm not certain as to the rules but ive seen some posters are saying that it is against the rules for a pitcher to attempt to decieve runners. If that is true then the lefty pickoff move should also be a balk if the pitcher's foot travels in any direction toward first base other than a straight line.

While every umpire is different most abide by a 45 degree angle rule.

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    I assume he meant when nobody is covering.
    Oops, my bad.

Quote Originally Posted by bigfunguy View Post
    But the spin to second is OK, right??
    I get that its cheap and never works, but as a purist, I prefer leaving the game alone.

I agree. Leave it alone. The only reason they are changing the rules is because people are crying about it.

When a runner is stealing second and the throw is going into centerfield; why is the player covering the bag allowed to fake a tag to get the runner to slide and not advance to third? Isn't that intentionally fooling the runner as well? I guess we need to change that too. Personally, I don't have a problem with fooling the runner.

Is the hidden ball trick intentionally fooling the runner? I believe it is. Get rid of that too. How about letting a ball drop so you can get a double play? Gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Salukifan2 View Post
    I'm not certain as to the rules but ive seen some posters are saying that it is against the rules for a pitcher to attempt to decieve runners. If that is true then the lefty pickoff move should also be a balk if the pitcher's foot travels in any direction toward first base other than a straight line.

While every umpire is different most abide by a 45 degree angle rule.
    Even though it's widely accepted, a 45 degree angle is still a balk. It's just not called. But I would argue that most lefties have stretched that to 60 or 70 degrees

Turn Off Ads?