Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: League of Reds Nation - The Ultimate Dynasty - Year 4

Re: League of Reds Nation - The Ultimate Dynasty - Year 4

Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post
    I just think the addition of 5 more slots to each team, for a total of 35 (not including the 4 DL slots, which would take it to 39) is excessive. If a player on a team goes down, the only available players to help immediately are already fringy and generally poor fantasy options, and having another 60 players added to rosters would dilute this even further.

I would be for removing some bench slots and replacing them with NA slots but would be against expanding rosters to an even more humongous size than they are now.

Aside- I understand the concept of a keeper dynasty league, but in our league right now the best players available to pick up are owned in less than half of leagues (three pitchers outstanding). I think it is interesting but not necessarily fun to have to pick up Clayton Richard when Matt Cain goes down, or to have to add Juan Francisco if Miguel Cabrera goes down.
    OK good points.

I am not sure there is ever going to be an adequate replacement for Matt Cain or Miguel Cabrera on the Free Agent list even if we reduced the roster size to 20 men. In real life if a star like Miguel Cabrera gets hurt the Tigers won't be able to sign a quality free agent mid-season to replace him. They will have to use one of their bench players for awhile or else make a trade. We have the same options in a fantasy league.

You are not going to be able to snatch a stud player off the Free Agent list and insert him straight into your starting lineup very often in any fantasy league no matter the roster size, especially a dynasty league. In a deep dynasty league the idea is to build a full roster and part of that is investing in some backups to fill the gap if a star gets injured. If you opt to forego a backup player to add an extra prospect it can come back to burn you. Part of building a competitive team is strategizing the best way to use your 11 bench slots wisely so you can cover your injuries while also planning for the future. All teams suffer multiple injuries, so building a strong bench is a big key to winning the league.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Yeah, I agree where the issue with adding the N/A spots right now wouldn't have to do with increasing the roster size. I don't like looking at the free agent wire in a league such as this and seeing someone that's 40% owned - wanna get that into the single digits I believe the strategy in a dynasty league such as this is to be able to foster enough talent on your own roster for whatever situations may occur. I don't like how often in the past I've had to drop a player I actually considered to be good, I like to leave those types of decisions to the shallower re-draft leagues I play in.

I believe as thatcoolguy mentioned, it may come down to an issue involving previous strategy already this season assuming we would just have our 30 man rosters. I've already dropped 3 players this year that would have been eligible for my NA slots. Maybe we'll be able to come up with something though. If we did add the slots this year, it could allow thatcoolguy to store even more prospects if he wanted to.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    OK good points.

I am not sure there is ever going to be an adequate replacement for Matt Cain or Miguel Cabrera on the Free Agent list even if we reduced the roster size to 20 men. In real life if a star like Miguel Cabrera gets hurt the Tigers won't be able to sign a quality free agent mid-season to replace him. They will have to use one of their bench players for awhile or else make a trade. We have the same options in a fantasy league.

You are not going to be able to snatch a stud player off the Free Agent list and insert him straight into your starting lineup very often in any fantasy league no matter the roster size, especially a dynasty league. In a deep dynasty league the idea is to build a full roster and part of that is investing in some backups to fill the gap if a star gets injured. If you opt to forego a backup player to add an extra prospect it can come back to burn you. Part of building a competitive team is strategizing the best way to use your 11 bench slots wisely so you can cover your injuries while also planning for the future. All teams suffer multiple injuries, so building a strong bench is a big key to winning the league.
    In a lot of fantasy leagues, there are players who are perpetually available on waivers or FA lists that are more than either extremely poor starters on their respective teams or platoon players, neither of which make for particularly interesting options in a fantasy league. Even if you assume a standard 23-player roster, there are 84 more major league players who are taken in this league.

Again, I understand how to build a fantasy baseball roster well- the problem is that I don't see a gain in "fun" by having FA be basically nonexistent in a fantasy league.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

Important Note:
    After reading everyone's opinions via message board, league thread and email I have decided how to implement the NA roster.

We are going to be conservative and ease our way into using the NA roster feature. In our league we have a history of avoiding big changes in favor of making subtle, gradual changes. For that reason, we will start with only 2 NA slots this season. I realize some of you want to go straight to the full 5 NA slots, but since we already had our draft and this new roster option was only made available after we had already made our plans it seems best that we start off slow with 2 slots now and ramp it up to 5 slots next year. I considered putting it up to a vote but thought better of it. I think 5 slots would win the vote, but the guys who want 2 slots seem more passionate.

So here is the plan:

• We will have a two-round supplemental draft starting at Noon on Wednesday March 27th. It will work the same as our yearly slow draft with 10 hour timers per pick. The draft order will be the reverse of last year's standings to give the rebuilding teams a little extra boost.
    • All Adds/Drops are prohibited before the draft. Do not pick up any players off the Free Agent list starting now!
    • I will enable the NA roster now. You can start transferring players to prepare for the supplemental draft. Again, do not add any players to your team until it is your turn to draft.
    • Any player with an NA label can be put on the NA roster even if they are not minor leaguers. Of course doing so would mean you can carry one less prospect than everybody else.
    • You can still keep minor leaguers on your normal roster. Many teams will want to keep more prospects in addition to the ones on their NA roster.
    • During this supplemental draft you can select either NA-eligible players or major league players if you have opened a roster spot by transferring another player who was already on your roster to the NA roster.

Since everyone will have two fresh NA roster slots we will not need to drop a player to make your supplemental draft pick. (see exception below)

One important consideration, if you draft a minor league player for your NA roster you will need to first add him to your normal roster before transferring him to the NA roster. If you do not have an open normal roster slot you won't be able to pick up the drafted player without dropping someone first. You can drop the player without losing him. In this situation make sure to state in the message when you post your pick that the player you dropped needs to go back on your team. I will then take the player off waivers and add him back to your team.

2013 Supplemental Draft Order:
    1.1 thatcoolguy_22
    1.2 Joseph
    1.3 Crosley68
    1.4 Bumstead
    1.5 Tornon
    1.6 Captain Hook
    1.7 reds1869
    1.8 Vada Pinson Fan
    1.9 Atomic Dumpling
    1.1 mbgrayson
    1.11 HayPay
    1.12 Plus Plus

2.1 thatcoolguy_22
    2.2 Joseph
    2.3 Crosley68
    2.4 Bumstead
    2.5 Tornon
    2.6 Captain Hook
    2.7 reds1869
    2.8 Vada Pinson Fan
    2.9 Atomic Dumpling
    2.1 mbgrayson
    2.11 HayPay
    2.12 Plus Plus

Thatcoolguy_22 can go ahead and post his pick whenever he is ready, but the 10-hour timers won't start until Noon Wednesday.

Remember we are now back in draft mode, so do not add any players to your team unless it is your turn to draft!

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

S1.1 Jason Hammel

Quote Originally Posted by thatcoolguy_22 View Post
    S1.1 Jason Hammel
    Thanks for getting it started early. And good pick!

2013 Supplemental Draft Results:

1.1 thatcoolguy_22 --- Jason Hammel
    1.2 Joseph --- Koji Uehara
    1.3 Crosley68 --- Henry Rodriguez
    1.4 Bumstead --- Alex Cobb
    1.5 Tornon --- Juan Francisco
    1.6 Captain Hook --- Derek Holland
    1.7 reds1869 --- AJ Griffin
    1.8 Vada Pinson Fan --- AJ Ellis
    1.9 Atomic Dumpling --- Nick Castellanos
    1.10 mbgrayson --- Dee Gordon
    1.11 HayPay --- Rick Porcello
    1.12 Plus Plus --- David Murphy

2.1 thatcoolguy_22 --- Chris Nelson
    2.2 Joseph --- Pass
    2.3 Crosley68 --- Tony Cingrani
    2.4 Bumstead --- Jim Henderson
    2.5 Tornon --- Justin Ruggiano
    2.6 Captain Hook --- Tyler Clippard
    2.7 reds1869 --- Kolten Wong
    2.8 Vada Pinson Fan --- Pass
    2.9 Atomic Dumpling --- Jonathon Singleton
    2.10 mbgrayson --- JP Arencibia
    2.11 HayPay --- Vernon Wells
    2.12 Plus Plus --- Pass

You may now add Free Agents whenever you like.

Plus Plus has decided to relinquish his team. If anyone out there would like to take over his team in this dynasty league send me a PM. I am looking for an experienced fantasy baseball player who will be an active, competitive team owner for multiple seasons.

Plus Plus has decided to relinquish his team. If anyone out there would like to take over his team in this dynasty league send me a PM. I am looking for an experienced fantasy baseball player who will be an active, competitive team owner for multiple seasons.
    Post his roster and the league settings.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    Post his roster and the league settings.
    The league settings are the same as the Redszone Dynasty League. 5x5 roto, Yahoo, 30 man rosters.

He has been too busy to play this season. His team is in last place, but only because he has had several injured players in his neglected lineup all year. The team won the league the last two seasons.

Ideally I would like to give as many Redszoners a chance to play as possible, which means people who are not already playing in the other league would get preference. No offense, but I have had several people express a desire to play in the past when we had no openings, so I would offer the team to them before someone who is already in the other league.

I will also be starting another dynasty league next spring. It will have 55-man major league rosters (2 starters at every position) and 40-man minor league rosters and will be a 7x7 roto league on CBS premium.

Ideally I would like to give as many Redszoners a chance to play as possible, which means people who are not already playing in the other league would get preference. No offense, but I have had several people express a desire to play in the past when we had no openings, so I would offer the team to them before someone who is already in the other league.
    Understood and no offense taken. Besides, I thought you might not want me to win another league of yours anyway. LOL

Understood and no offense taken. Besides, I thought you might not want me to win another league of yours anyway. LOL
    I am sure you would do well with that team because I know you are a good team owner. And I will wrest my championship title away from you in the other league!

I am sure you would do well with that team because I know you are a good team owner. And I will wrest my championship title away from you in the other league!
    I'm sure you'll do your best to take back your crown but Will has been pretty impressive this season and there's quite a few other teams that are closing the gap so I think that league will just get more and more competitive.

I'm sure you'll do your best to take back your crown but Will has been pretty impressive this season and there's quite a few other teams that are closing the gap so I think that league will just get more and more competitive.
    Yes I agree that league is very tough. We have a good group of owners there. I don't think I can catch you this year, but next year is all mine. (We should probably talk about that league in that league's thread.)

Is there still a spot in the league? Also, is anyone here looking for another league (I have 2 openings in my keeper league)?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

17. Likes:

camisadelgolf (09-16-2013)

Turn Off Ads?