Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rule question...for a slow day.

Rule question...for a slow day.

Is there any rule against players IN THE GAME moving from pitcher, to another position, and bacl to pitcher?? In other words...say some team has a lefty in to face Votto...THEN, could they bring in a right hande for Ludwick, but instead of taking out the lefty, move lefty to left field (or wherever), then after Ludwick, have lefty come back over to pitch to Bruce??

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Rule question...for a slow day.

A pitcher, moved to a different defensive position, may return to the mound and pitch again. Two conditions apply.

1. The relief pitcher must face at least one batter (unless he gets injured).
    2. The former-pitcher/now-fielder can only leave and return to the mound once per inning.

From the rules:

Rule 3.03 Comment:
    A pitcher may change to another position only once during the same inning; e.g. the pitcher will not be allowed to assume a position other than a pitcher more than once in the same inning.

Rule 3.05(b):
    If the pitcher is replaced, the substitute pitcher shall pitch to the batter then at bat, or any substitute batter, until such batter is put out or reaches first base, or until the offensive team is put out, unless the substitute pitcher sustains injury or illness which, in the umpire-in-chief’s judgment, incapacitates him for further play as a pitcher.

Rule 8.06
    A professional league shall adopt the following rule pertaining to the visit of the manager or coach to the pitcher:
    (a) This rule limits the number of trips a manager or coach may make to any one pitcher in any one inning;
    (b) A second trip to the same pitcher in the same inning will cause this pitcher’s automatic removal;
    (c) The manager or coach is prohibited from making a second visit to the mound while the same batter is at bat, but
    (d) if a pinch-hitter is substituted for this batter, the manager or coach may make a second visit to the mound, but must remove the pitcher.

Houston did this last season.
    I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that it was a game they were losing.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Back in the 80's the Braves did it with....Rick Camp? I think he ended up hitting the GW HR in about the 17th

Quote Originally Posted by bigfunguy View Post
    Is there any rule against players IN THE GAME moving from pitcher, to another position, and bacl to pitcher?? In other words...say some team has a lefty in to face Votto...THEN, could they bring in a right hande for Ludwick, but instead of taking out the lefty, move lefty to left field (or wherever), then after Ludwick, have lefty come back over to pitch to Bruce??
    thanks guys---kinda surprising you dont see it more often...

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

The Mets did it in an extra inning game in '86 against the Reds with Orosco (P/RF)and McDowell (P/LF) and Mookie Wilson running across the outfield from left to right. They combined for 4 innings in relief. Davey Johnson was the manager of the Metropolitans at the time.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...98607220.shtml

Side notes: Buddy Bell and Dave Parker both had HRs (6th and 21st, respectively). Pete Rose (Player/Manager) had a pinch hit single, removed himself for pinch runner Eric Davis who promptly stole 2nd and 3rd, berfore being stranded.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain13 View Post
    The Mets did it in an extra inning game in '86 against the Reds with Orosco (P/RF)and McDowell (P/LF) and Mookie Wilson running across the outfield from left to right. They combined for 4 innings in relief. Davey Johnson was the manager of the Metropolitans at the time.

Side notes: Buddy Bell and Dave Parker both had HRs (6th and 21st, respectively). Pete Rose (Player/Manager) had a pinch hit single, removed himself for pinch runner Eric Davis who promptly stole 2nd and 3rd, berfore being stranded.
    Solid info right there...

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    Houston did this last season.
    I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that it was a game they were losing.

Thanks, after the day I had I needed that.

I knew it could be done but didn't know the limitations, thanks for asking and for answering folks.

Yes I remember this one. Dave Parker dropped a routine flyball in the bottom of the ninth. That dang one-handed snap catch he had...

Quote Originally Posted by LeDoux View Post
    Yes I remember this one. Dave Parker dropped a routine flyball in the bottom of the ninth. That dang one-handed snap catch he had...

Was that the one where he basically threw the ball to the fence with his glove by doing the "Cobra Snap"? I remember that one REALLY ticking me off at the time...

Quote Originally Posted by Nosirrah View Post
    Was that the one where he basically threw the ball to the fence with his glove by doing the "Cobra Snap"? I remember that one REALLY ticking me off at the time...
    I think so. I don't remember where the ball went; but I do remember the cobra failing Mr. Parker and the game being tied. As a young lad I was crestfallen after witnessing that spectacle. Was the Ray Knight/Eric Davis fight that same series?

I think so. I don't remember where the ball went; but I do remember the cobra failing Mr. Parker and the game being tied. As a young lad I was crestfallen after witnessing that spectacle. Was the Ray Knight/Eric Davis fight that same series?
    Dave Parker got 'mongoosed' on that play.

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

Holy Smokes, I don't know how I didn't catch it. That was the day of the fight. After Davis stole third, he was replaced by PR Tom Browning and Ray Knight was replaced by Gary Carter.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

This blog post from Baseball Reference talks about this. I know I watched a Cardinals game where Whitey Herzog did it (and he did it several times). I recall too where the pitcher in the outfield switch the field depending on the batter up (moved to right on righties, moved to left with lefties.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/blog/archives/175
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Holy Smokes, I don't know how I didn't catch it. That was the day of the fight. After Davis stole third, he was replaced by PR Tom Browning and Ray Knight was replaced by Gary Carter.
    It was the same game? Wow. That had the drama of half a season in it.

Turn Off Ads?