Thread: Frontier to start CVG service in May

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Re: Frontier to start CVG service in May

Last edited by Caveat Emperor; 01-30-2013 at 02:40 PM. Reason: double post
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I think this is big of you--after your post focusing on the negative aspects of flying out of CVG, you made this post listing all of the good things about it.

I've been living in Cincinnati, off and on, since 2000. During that time, I've probably flown over 100 times -- only 1 time out of CVG.

As far as I'm concerned, the entire building can just implode. I'll gladly make the drive to Dayton or Indianapolis every single time.
    I flew out of CVG twice in 2012 - to Seattle in June (via DTW) and over Christmas to Paris (non-stop). In both cases CVG was easily the cheapest option including Dayton and Columbus. Sorry, but I'm not driving to Indy or Louisville. Those drives are brutal; the drives home after landing are worse.

CVG as the cheapest option isn't as rare as people think. My friend is flying here in February from Philadelphia (direct on US Airways I think) for $125. That blew away any fare offered from Dayton or Columbus, and both of those cities would have involved obnoxious connections for such a short trip.

I really hope people support Frontier at CVG. Don't run back to Delta to pad your FF miles when they match Frontier's price. They're only doing it to drive the competition out so they can return to their high pricing.

Just say no to Delta! Fly Frontier to the West!
    Last edited by Reds/Flyers Fan; 01-30-2013 at 04:01 PM.

I've been living in Cincinnati, off and on, since 2000. During that time, I've probably flown over 100 times -- only 1 time out of CVG.

As far as I'm concerned, the entire building can just implode. I'll gladly make the drive to Dayton or Indianapolis every single time.
    I agree with you personally, but it's way better for the city to have a robust airport with reasonable prices. Something like a convention or a large business meeting brings in a ton of money, and flight prices are a major consideration for businesses and organizations when those things are being planned. And they're not going to fly people to Dayton and then bus them to Cincinnati.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    I flew out of CVG twice in 2012 - to Seattle in June (via DTW) and over Christmas to Paris (non-stop). In both cases CVG was easily the cheapest option including Dayton and Columbus. Sorry, but I'm not driving to Indy or Louisville. Those drives are brutal; the drives home after landing are worse.

CVG as the cheapest option isn't as rare as people think. My friend is flying here in February from Philadelphia (direct on US Airways I think) for $125. That blew away any fare offered from Dayton or Columbus, and both of those cities would have involved obnoxious connections for such a short trip.

I really hope people support Frontier at CVG. Don't run back to Delta to pad your FF miles when they match Frontier's price. They're only doing it to drive the competition out so they can return to their high pricing.

I've never found a fare at CVG that was within $100 of Dayton or Indy other than on a last-minute booking (where everything was uniformly expensive). When I flew to Las Vegas back in October, I ended up with a $275 round-trip out of Indy on Southwest when the cheapest fare out of CVG was $550. I've flown a half-dozen times to Florida over the last 24 months, and I've never found a CVG fare for better than $350 when I could routinely get out of Dayton on Airtran for $180-$200.

I'm sure CVG is occasionally comparable, but I look every time I fly and I've yet to be proven wrong.

I wish CVG was better, but the airport made a decision a long time ago that protecting jobs in Kentucky was more important than keeping the airport price-competitive. Now we're all stuck with the results of that decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post

I just priced a trip to Seattle from CVG on June 13-17th. Frontier was underwhelming. They charged a fare of $483.79 with a stop in Denver. On Delta it included non stops and the fare was $461.80. I'm not getting my hopes up that Frontier will be putting fare pressure on Delta out of CVG

And, for comparison, I did the same search for Dayton to Seattle on the same days, and you can get out of Dayton for $365 -- nearly $100 less expensive than CVG.

And, for comparison, I did the same search for Dayton to Seattle on the same days, and you can get out of Dayton for $365 -- nearly $100 less expensive than CVG.
    No doubt, so why can't Frontier give us that sort of rate out of CVG? If they're going to charge Delta rates then what do we gain?

Turn Off Ads?