Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hannigan vs. Mesaraco

Hannigan vs. Mesaraco

After watching countless games on TV last year (and several in person), here are my thoughts on the catching platoon.

Hannigan was so much better at getting his pitcher strikes that were borderline or off the plate. He gives the umpire that extra good luck of "it was right on the black" and that is invaluable for your pitcher.

I think Mesaraco has more potential as an offensive player but lacks the discipline of Hannigan. Hannigan's OBP skills is important in the 8 hole if our pitchers can successful get the bunt down (which wasn't a strength last year). Mesaraco projects as a better 6 or 7 hole hitter but didn't live up to hitting expectations last year.

I hope Mesaraco can grow into that "receiver" that Hannigan already is because I think his bat will come around.

At this point, however, its 3 games of Hannigan to 2 games of Mesaraco for me. Mes needs to catch the pitchers with the best control and let Hannigan "win" some pitches for the other 3.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Hannigan vs. Mesaraco

Solid post...I also thought Mes looked tired as the year went on, which was strange as he likely played less innings than when in the minors...I do think sharing the load like they do helps both.

Meseraco could be a big difference maker if he shows improvements in both facets of the game. I hope he really worked hard this offseason.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

I didn't care much for the way the platoon was handled last year. I didn't think Meseraco played enough. That being said Haningan was so much better than him how could you not play him more. Just with Mes would have been ready for the everday job or stayed at AAA so he could play more. And I know the argument will be that he needed to learn at the big league level, I just find it hard to believe he wouldn't have benefited from playing more than he did last year.

Mes will get better as he gains experience and, hopefully, will be the #1 in a few years.

But as for right now there's no question in my mind that Hanny is the man. He handles a staff as good as any catcher in the game imo. This has the potential to be one of the best rotations in a very long time in Cincinnati and it needs a guy like Hannigan behind the dish.

Quote Originally Posted by bigfunguy View Post
    Solid post...I also thought Mes looked tired as the year went on, which was strange as he likely played less innings than when in the minors...I do think sharing the load like they do helps both.
    Mes always looks tired.

Judging by the dark circles around his eyes I'll bet he has pretty bad sleep apnea.

Hope he get's himself checked for it.

Anybody know how to get in touch with him?
    Last edited by smixsell; 01-29-2013 at 05:52 PM.

Trade Leake for Saltalamacchia or Ryan Doumit and start Mesoraco at AAA so he gets more work in

If Mes is going to be on the MLB roster he needs to play more than he did last year. I think Hanigan is the better of the 2, but Mes is at the stage where he needs consistent play. If he is not going to play more than he did last year, you need him in AAA with Olivo backing up Hanigan.

I think the personal catcher idea was a failure last season. There is no doubt at this point in time that Hanny is the better receiver and all the pitchers wanted him as their personal catcher. That is a bad dynamic both for the pitching staff and for Mesoraco.

I would hope that this season they do away with the concept. Let Mez catch about every third day but so it at random. Let each pitcher work with both guys.

Also, while I really like Hannigan, I think his OBP prowess is a bit overrated. Seemed like he got a ton of two out walks where pitchers pitches around him to bring up the pitcher. Thus, I think his walk rates are really inflated. If you put him higher in the order, I suspect his OBP would really suffer.

Quote Originally Posted by Drugs Delaney View Post
    Also, while I really like Hannigan, I think his OBP prowess is a bit overrated. Seemed like he got a ton of two out walks where pitchers pitches around him to bring up the pitcher. Thus, I think his walk rates are really inflated. If you put him higher in the order, I suspect his OBP would really suffer.
    I thought that this was an interesting theory, so I went ahead and checked it out. According to baseball reference, Hanigan maintained a slash line of .253/.388/.293 with two outs in the inning in 2012. While the OBP jump is noticeable (and quite frankly, to be expected) your theory kind of tapers out a bit when considering his slash line with 0 outs and 1 out.

0 outs: .313/.363/.384
    1 out: .255/.344/.330

It's important to note that the plate appearances are pretty close: 128 with 0 outs, 122 with 1, and 121 with 2.

To me, this shows that Hanigan's propensity for solid OBP numbers are probably more reflective of the fact that he doesn't strike out much and appears to show a lot of knowledge of the strike zone. In short, he's a disciplined hitter, and thusly his OBP reflects this. I do agree with you though that if he were to hit higher in the order, his OBP would probably suffer, but not exceedingly so.

Just for the record, this isn't intended to be a "show-up" post. I'm just bored and thought that it would be interesting to check out.

12. Likes:

redsfandan (02-10-2013),Tommyjohn25 (02-04-2013)

I wish Navarro would have been brought back. Hanigan should take every start he can this year. I'd like to see the Reds keep the experimentation to a minimum this season. I could care less if both were hitting .200. Mes needs work both at the plate and behind it. He needs to spend more time with Corky.

Pretty much all of Mesoraco's peripheral stats (BB%, K%, and ISO) were league average or better in 2012. Unfortunately, his sample size wasn't huge, and a low BABIP masked a fairly solid rookie campaign at the plate. He also looks like a decent defender, though I'm still unsure about his game calling abilities. All in all, I'd say he's primed for a breakout year in 2013 if given adequate playing time.

Also, this may be a little nitpicky, but I'll say it anyway. Is it too much to ask that we spell the names of our own players properly? It's Mesoraco and Hanigan. It says it in big letters on the backs of their jerseys. I understand a typo every now and then, but some on here spell these names wrong over and over again. Can't we at least try to get it right?

THe ideal spot for Mes would be AAA, but the Reds need him in the bigs, unless the new catcher Olivo affords Mes the time to play everyday at AAA.

I thought last year that Hanigan was one of the most under rated players on the team and one of the most under rated catchers in the NL, truly a breakout year. Mes vs Hanigan isn't even a contest, I would be happy for Mes to have a CEILING near Hanigans performance from last year.
    Bring on 2018! #%?*!

I think people need to realize that mesoraco has the potential to knock in 60-65 with 15-20 homers if he got 500 AB's. Hanigan getting on base so the pitcher can strike out and leave him stranded is pointless.

Mes never got a chance to get settled in behind the plate last year, most people are severely under estimating him behind the plate.
    Just a dude who loves the reds, and some new sneakers.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Ryan Hanigan is one of the best pitch framers in baseball. Devin Mesoraco actually rated out as above-average as well, but was well behind Hanigan who is among the better ones in the game.

The Reds need to allow both catchers to catch all of the pitchers throughout the season. If they still want to go 3-2 in playing time for Hanigan, so be it, but getting both guys time with every pitcher is going to be as beneficial as possible.

18. Likes:

Kilgore_Trout (02-05-2013),redsfandan (02-10-2013)

Turn Off Ads?