Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 46

Thread: Latos...could he become an ace this year??

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    240

    Latos...could he become an ace this year??

    I can see it...

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Springfield
    Posts
    88

    Re: Latos...could he become an ace this year??

    The job will be Johnny's to lose.

    I guess it depends on your definition of "ace". There's a whole thread discussing what an "ace" is over on ORG. If you see "ace" as the first starter in the rotation, then it will be Johnny.

    If your "ace" is the stopper, the guy they trust with the ball for the team's best chance at getting a win, then I think the season will tell.

    Regardless, this starting rotation is filled with potential (which we saw last year). Let's hope they can put together a year like they did last year. Having the likes of Cueto, Latos, Bailey, Chapman, and Arroyo (and plenty more capable arms fighting for a spot) is a good problem to have.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    240

    Re: Latos...could he become an ace this year??

    it's pretty deep...recall it was just a few years ago when Leake was the most consistant guy--now he is going to have trouble cracking the rotation

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    1,735

    Re: Latos...could he become an ace this year??

    You could make the argument Latos is already an "ace" type pitcher. He pitched an entire season without missing a start, pitching in one of the worst ballparks for a pitcher, lost only four games and ended with a 3.48 ERA. Both his WAR (4.2) and WHIP (1.161) finished just outside the top ten of all MLB pitchers. I don't think being the #1 starter has anything to do with being an "ace", since a lot of teams have no ace and several teams have more than one. I guess it's all in the definition. With Cueto and Latos, we at least have two young guys on the verge of being that kind of pitchers.
    "I talked to an advance scout that told me if Joey Votto and Albert Pujols were on the same team he'd advise his team to do the unthinkable...pitch around Votto to get to Pujols." - Buster Olney, ESPN

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Dayton, Oh
    Posts
    60

    Re: Latos...could he become an ace this year??

    Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    You could make the argument Latos is already an "ace" type pitcher. He pitched an entire season without missing a start, pitching in one of the worst ballparks for a pitcher, lost only four games and ended with a 3.48 ERA. Both his WAR (4.2) and WHIP (1.161) finished just outside the top ten of all MLB pitchers. I don't think being the #1 starter has anything to do with being an "ace", since a lot of teams have no ace and several teams have more than one. I guess it's all in the definition.
    ^^
    This.

    If by "become an ace" you mean take over the team's first spot in the rotation, then no, probably not. That spot is Ceuto's.

    If by "become an ace" you mean become a guy who can be relied on to be the stopper and consistently bring nasty, top-of-the-rotation caliber stuff that makes hitters look bad and routinely puts the team in a position to win, then I would argue that Latos is already that kind of pitcher and doesn't need to "become" it.

  6. #6
    13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    839

    Re: Latos...could he become an ace this year??

    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Red Path View Post
    ^^
    This.

    If by "become an ace" you mean take over the team's first spot in the rotation, then no, probably not. That spot is Ceuto's.

    If by "become an ace" you mean become a guy who can be relied on to be the stopper and consistently bring nasty, top-of-the-rotation caliber stuff that makes hitters look bad and routinely puts the team in a position to win, then I would argue that Latos is already that kind of pitcher and doesn't need to "become" it.
    ^^What he said.^^
    What if this is as good as it gets?

  7. #7
    Couch GM LukeSho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    29

    Re: Latos...could he become an ace this year??

    I think part of Latos continuing to mature will be evident in how he starts outs out in April the next 2 seasons. He's been really slow to get going at the beginning of the year, and I think we'll start to see more consistency out of Mat from start to finish as he keeps progressing.
    This is the year.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,850

    Re: Latos...could he become an ace this year??

    Is he going to stop throwing a fit on the mound in series deciding games? Remains to be seen. It just depends on his maturity. . . and probably his wife's too.

  9. #9
    Newbie Rock of Truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Toshi Station
    Posts
    147

    Re: Latos...could he become an ace this year??

    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    Is he going to stop throwing a fit on the mound in series deciding games? Remains to be seen. It just depends on his maturity. . . and probably his wife's too.
    True ... True ... and True. Game 5 against San Fran was a mental blow up, nothing else. He got squeezed a little and threw a fit like a 5 year old. The ump didn't like it and squeezed him even more.

    I'm not a twitter follower myself, by my wife is. Lots of posts from the Latos clan that resemble the following "Mat just ate 22 tacos." "Mat just finished his 6th Philly Cheesesteak". Way to take care of yourself in the offseason. Sounds like he is on the Austin Kearns plan.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Springfield
    Posts
    88

    Re: Latos...could he become an ace this year??

    ^

    He definitely needs to work on his maturity, especially dealing with the strike zone. This is not uncommon with major league pitchers though, there are many hot heads out there. I think Mat will cool it down with time, and develop into a very good pitcher (not that he already isn't).

    If I were an athlete, or someone under the spotlight, I would not subject myself to questions about my loyalty/work ethic via twitter. It makes me wonder how supportive he is of Dallas's twitter antics, considering he doesn't even have a twitter himself. I think it's a bit ridiculous if you ask me. Just let em play ball...

  11. #11
    The Smiling Side AintlifeGrande's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    416

    Re: Latos...could he become an ace this year??

    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    Is he going to stop throwing a fit on the mound in series deciding games? Remains to be seen. It just depends on his maturity. . . and probably his wife's too.
    I like to see that fire in emotion in a pitcher.We have not had a Reds pitcher in quite some time with that passion.But if you want to equate that with ''throwing a fit''then go ahead.

    ROLL TIDE ROLL!!

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,850

    Re: Latos...could he become an ace this year??

    Quote Originally Posted by AintlifeGrande View Post
    I like to see that fire in emotion in a pitcher.We have not had a Reds pitcher in quite some time with that passion.But if you want to equate that with ''throwing a fit''then go ahead.
    You missed the point. Anyone can have emotion. . . most players. He still hasn't learned how to harness it. He's immature and so is his wife and they both show. He'll mature at some point and I think it's sooner rather than later.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    169

    Re: Latos...could he become an ace this year??

    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    You missed the point. Anyone can have emotion. . . most players. He still hasn't learned how to harness it. He's immature and so is his wife and they both show. He'll mature at some point and I think it's sooner rather than later.
    First off who cares if his wife is immature? I don't really care what she does as I never intend to pay to watch her do anything. Secondly I blame a large part of his blowup in the playoffs on Dusty, who managed with no sense of urgency. I was watching the game with my father and in that inning said, they better pull him, he's done he won't be able to get Posey out. Dusty managed that whole series with no urgency and did the same thing there. Mat lost his focus, but Dusty didn't do much to help the guy out.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,850

    Re: Latos...could he become an ace this year??

    Quote Originally Posted by alwaysawarrior View Post
    First off who cares if his wife is immature? I don't really care what she does as I never intend to pay to watch her do anything. Secondly I blame a large part of his blowup in the playoffs on Dusty, who managed with no sense of urgency. I was watching the game with my father and in that inning said, they better pull him, he's done he won't be able to get Posey out. Dusty managed that whole series with no urgency and did the same thing there. Mat lost his focus, but Dusty didn't do much to help the guy out.
    She seems like Doug Christie's wife. And that's not a good thing.

  15. #15
    Where's my chair? REDREAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    21,081

    Re: Latos...could he become an ace this year??

    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    You missed the point. Anyone can have emotion. . . most players. He still hasn't learned how to harness it. He's immature and so is his wife and they both show. He'll mature at some point and I think it's sooner rather than later.
    Yep, most 24 year olds still have some growing up to do. I imagine it's even harder when you are a major leaguer.

    I'll be interested to see what kind of start Latos gets off to this year. He's known for having a horrible first 4 weeks.. I wonder if he'll start strong this year.. The Reds made some adjustments to him last year.. They told him to stop using one of his pitches (which was mediocre and getting hit hard), then Matt took off. Hopefully he carries over the success to April 2013. It would be great to get off to a good start.

    But as far as the original question, I consider Latos an ace now. Cueto too.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

    Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25