Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Latos...could he become an ace this year??

Re: Latos...could he become an ace this year??

Wow, between Latos and Chapman it (according to sources) it is a miracle the Reds don't crumble like a weak reality show contestant <sarcasm>

Latos is young and acted his age when he was even younger. Yes, he needs to mature, but he (along with Chappy) has been doing so in front of our eyes.

ILatos was aquired to be an ace, and I think he is well on his way. I just hope it happens in 2013

2. Turn Off Ads?

With or without Chapman there is much to love about our rotation. I live 80 miles east of Pittsburgh and most of my friends are Pirate fans. They call our rotation a murderers row. I never thought I would hear a Reds rotation referred to that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Cicero2.0 View Post
    With or without Chapman there is much to love about our rotation.
    The fact that we have so much depth going into this season is what's most encouraging to me. We have 6 MLB starters plus a few wild card guys who have a chance to prove something in the minors. I feel much more confident about our depth than I did last year, because there's no way we completely avoid injury again.
    This is the year.

Latos has got a thing or two to learn yet as he came completely unraveled in the game 5 playoff start vs. san fran. No doubt he has the physical talent though.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by holster10 View Post
    Latos has got a thing or two to learn yet as he came completely unraveled in the game 5 playoff start vs. san fran. No doubt he has the physical talent though.
    I never understand things like this. One game does not make a pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I never understand things like this. One game does not make a pattern.
    Not to mention he clearly should have been pulled much before the time Posey came to bat, and had pitched an very good game prior to that point
    This is the year.

Quote Originally Posted by LukeSho View Post
    ...and had pitched an very good game prior to that point
    To me that's the biggest problem. He was pitching a great game and totally lost his mind because of on call from the umpire.

Granted, one time doesn't make a pattern, but he came to Cincy with this reputation. This was just the first time we've really seen it.
    Sto Pro Veritate

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysawarrior View Post
    Does Mat get overly upset? Yes. But for me personally I kind of like some of his fire, he just needs to channel it better. He's not that old yet,let him grow and mature.
    I'm not giving him a free pass. Game 5 is not the time to be a punk.
    Bring on 2018! #%?*!

I am a huge Latos fan but go back and look at the Latos start boxscores for the first few months of the season. It wasn't the first time he imploded this season. That's all I am going to say, looking forward to 2013. Cheers.....

Quote Originally Posted by holster10 View Post
    I am a huge Latos fan but go back and look at the Latos start boxscores for the first few months of the season. It wasn't the first time he imploded this season. That's all I am going to say, looking forward to 2013. Cheers.....
    Sure, he got off to a bad start and pitched some real stinkers, but were there other cases when we was cruising along and let something get into his head that lead to a blowup?
    Sto Pro Veritate

I think the mental game with Latos is the biggest key to him becoming an ace. I think last year was a huge step in advancing past getting rattled by poor calls or bad brakes. Gaining playoff experience will contribute dramatically to his growth mentally, which I believe will lead to another huge step forward in his game this year.
    This is the year.

There is a good side and a bad side to being an intense player. More often that not it seems to serve Mat and the Reds well. Game 1 of the same playoff series is a great example of the upside of being an intense pitcher.

I'll give him a pass on Game 5 for two reasons: 1) Game 1.....enough said; 2) the series should have been over after Game 3, which wouldnt have afforded the opportunity for the Game 5 meltdown.

Besides, last year is last year....time to start looking forward to October '13!!

Have not heard or seen a re-cap: How'd he pitch against Canada last night?

Quote Originally Posted by Rock of Truth View Post
    Have not heard or seen a re-cap: How'd he pitch against Canada last night?
    From John Fay's twitter:
    Latos is probably done: 3 ip, 2 hits, 2 runs, 1 walk, 5 Ks. #Reds 7, Canada 2 after 2 1/2. #cincienquirer
    There you go.

Turn Off Ads?