Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is the Reds' #18 prospect for 2013?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sean Buckley

0 0%
  • Drew Cisco

2 4.08%
  • Jacob Constante

0 0%
  • Tim Crabbe

0 0%
  • Jeff Fellhauer

0 0%
  • Amir Garrett

2 4.08%
  • Jeff Gelalich

9 18.37%
  • Brodie Greene

0 0%
  • Ryan LaMarre

7 14.29%
  • Kyle Lotzkar

9 18.37%
  • Jonathan Moscot

0 0%
  • Curtis Partch

0 0%
  • Juan Perez

0 0%
  • Josh Ravin

0 0%
  • Jonathan Reynoso

9 18.37%
  • Sal Romano

0 0%
  • Gabriel Rosa

0 0%
  • Steve Selsky

0 0%
  • Juan Silva

0 0%
  • Bryson Smith

0 0%
  • Kyle Waldrop

6 12.24%
  • Ryan Wright

5 10.20%
  • Other (Please Name)

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who is Redszone's #18 prospect for 2013?

Who is Redszone's #18 prospect for 2013?

1) Billy Hamilton
    2) Robert Stephenson
    3) Tony Cingrani
    4) Daniel Corcino
    5) Jesse Winker
    6) Nick Travieso
    7) Henry Rodriguez
    8) Ismael Guillon
    9) Yorman Rodriguez
    10) Tanner Rahier
    11) Dan Langfield
    12) Neftali Soto
    13) Donald Lutz
    14) Chad Rogers
    15) Tucker Barnhart
    16) David Vidal
    17) Seth Mejias-Brean

2. Likes:

camisadelgolf (01-31-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Who is Redszone's #18 prospect for 2013?

The Reds obviously saw something in Gelalich to make him the 57th pick of last year's draft. Didn't necessarily show much in Billings, but I like the all-around potential.

Yay, I finally get to pick someone besides SMB!

Ryan Wright.

I think he has the best chance for everything to go according to plan where he could possibly fill a Frazier type roll and hit .285-.300 in the majors.

The high upside guys that are left will go in short order for me, but I like Wright as the last high floor guy to make an impact. Fellhauer is a favorite of mine, but I doubt he'll get used properly by the Reds. I think he can be a great platoon partner getting 400 ab's a year, but that doesn't quite trump a field rat with good instincts and average in Wright.

I like Kyle Waldrop here, and I can't really give a great reason why. Just seems like a nicely developing player, one who came into the game touted as an athlete and has shown a capacity to apply that talent to baseball. He hits doubles and triples. Somehow, he reminds me of Paul O'Neill--same body type (O'Neill's an inch taller), lefty outfielders, very similar production at the lower levels. (Waldrop has been slightly more productive at the same stops, but has been a year older at them.)

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    I like Kyle Waldrop here, and I can't really give a great reason why. Just seems like a nicely developing player, one who came into the game touted as an athlete and has shown a capacity to apply that talent to baseball. He hits doubles and triples. Somehow, he reminds me of Paul O'Neill--same body type (O'Neill's an inch taller), lefty outfielders, very similar production at the lower levels. (Waldrop has been slightly more productive at the same stops, but has been a year older at them.)
    The Yankees are already salivating.

Strikeout has a "K". Kyle has a "K". Lotzkar has a "K". Freaky has a "K". He has my vote. O"K"ay?

9. Likes:

camisadelgolf (01-31-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Strikeout has a "K". Kyle has a "K". Lotzkar has a "K". Freaky has a "K". He has my vote. O"K"ay?
    Ditto.

If I was confident in the health of his arm, I would have considered him for a spot in the top 10. We're far enough down the list now that I am willing to pick him regardless of his arm woes.

I went with Amir again due to the potential of his arm but I could be swayed for future polls to go with someone else. I want to make a joke about liking Jeff Gelalich more when he was called BJ Symanski but I don't know how apt a comparison it is other than that they were both college OF's.

Gelalich, Wright, Waldrop and Lotzkar should be selected next.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Swagger View Post
    Gelalich, Wright, Waldrop and Lotzkar should be selected next.
    If your a No. 1 or sandwich pick and do so poorly in the rookie league, I wouldnt put Gelalich in the top 25. Normally most position players drafted at that level go dircectly to low-A right out of the draft.
    Last edited by j_m_t_us; 01-31-2013 at 04:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by j_m_t_us View Post
    If your a No. 1 or sandwich pick and do so poorly in the rookie league, I wouldnt put Gelalich in the top 25. Normally most position players drafted at that level go dircectly to low-A right out of the draft.
    I think you are putting too much stock in a couple months worth of rookie ball stats. I'm not a big fan of the guy either, but Reds drafted him early and paid him a big fat bonus for a reason. Two months of crappy hitting while dealing with a bum wrist does not mean those reasons are invalid. The talent is there. If he doesn't produce in 2013, I'm all for writing him off, but a couple hundred plate appearances in rookie ball just isn't enough for me to drop him out of the top 25 altogether.

Waldrop again. Solid improvement last year. Will be at high A in his 21 year old season. Have to hope for more development of the power but otherwise developing right as one would expect.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j_m_t_us View Post
    Steve covered some of what I wanted to say, but I wanted to also add that no, not in the Reds system do our picks normally go directly to Low-A. With how late some of these guys sign, it isn't always a fair comparison, But for the most part, the Reds have sent top 3 round college guys to Billings the year they were drafted. The guys who they sent to full season ball have mostly performed incredibly poor, with only Ryan LaMarre cracking a .700 OPS (.767 with Dayton in 2010). Zack Cozart and Brodie Greene both struggled mightily with their full season promotion right out of college. Another thing to factor in is the guys who are ahead of them. Gelalich is a corner outfielder. Dayton had Yorman Rodriguez and Kyle Waldrop playing their corners. Those guys are both prospects, they weren't going to get bumped to DH. There is no rush.

Lotzkar. This is easy people. If he's healthy, he will play a key role in the Reds' bullpen in the second-half the season. You read it hear first.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Soup View Post
    Lotzkar. This is easy people. If he's healthy, he will play a key role in the Reds' bullpen in the second-half the season. You read it hear first.
    Biggest "if" on RZ.

Turn Off Ads?