Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Would you like Scott Rolen back?

Voters
137. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

60 43.80%
  • No

77 56.20%
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fay: Rolen wants to play - do you want him back?

Fay: Rolen wants to play - do you want him back?

“I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Turn Off Ads?
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Re: Fay: Rolen wants to play

Scotty waited too long to decide, IMHO.

4. Likes:

oneupper (01-31-2013)

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

I think they'll sign him as a bench bat.

You almost knew he wouldn't be ready to leave since it took so long to decide.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Rolen really has no place on the team, as Hannahan has effectively taken his spot.

Signing him now would mean one less OF.

If he wants any kind of money, I'd pass anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Rolen really has no place on the team, as Hannahan has effectively taken his spot.

Signing him now would mean one less OF.

If he wants any kind of money, I'd pass anyway.
    That's just simply not true. Yes, some difficult decisions would need to be made but if Walt and Dusty want Rolen back and Rolen wants to play, room will be made.

I would rather sign him to play the 2nd half of the season... there will invariably be some injuries and he could help push the Reds down the home stretch.

I don't see the Reds paying Jack Hanahan $1MM to play in AAA while paying Rolen a few million as well. But if Rolen signs, the Reds look like this:

Code:
    Locks (12)
    C Hanigan (R)
    1B Votto (L)
    2B Phillips (R)
    SS Cozart (R)
    3B Frazier (R)
    RF Bruce (L)
    CF Choo (L)
    LF Ludwick (R)
    ~~~~
    C Mesoraco (R)
    OF Heisey (R)
    IF Donald (R) - only backup SS on the 40 man
    3B Rolen (R) - IF SIGNED
    That leaves one bench spot and no lefties on the bench. The options are Hannahan, Paul and Henry Rodriguez. So, do you send down the guy you just signed to backup 3B and whose primary asset is his glove or do you send down the OF who "earned" a spot in limited time last year.

Personally, if they signed Rolen, I'd still carry Hannahan and send down Paul. Firstly, Paul and Hannahan are basically the same hitter; Paul just had a small sample BABIP blip in 2012. So the difference between them is glove value and flexibility.

Because Frazier can play a credible OF, I think carrying Hannahan wins on two fronts. Firstly, he's a step up defensively from Rolen too at this point. So he still makes sense as late inning sub. Paul is an average OF defensively and a step down from Heisey. Having Hannhan lets you keep him available on the bench while starting Rolen and given Dusty the option to use an all RH OF against a really tough lefty. Frazier is also free to play 1B if needed. He'd still be the primary 3B, but it gives you more options.

All things considered, given that its not my money, I'd take Rolen over Paul in a heartbeat, knowing that the on field difference is less significant than the value of having Rolen in the clubhouse. However, I'm not sure if Paul has an option. If he does, problem solved. If not, he may not clear waivers and that would leave the 40 man light on OF.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 01-31-2013 at 12:08 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

11. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (02-01-2013),Homer Bailey (02-01-2013),mth123 (01-31-2013)

I won't put it past Rolen to hit .280 again. I just won't. But defensively, his range is getting close to poor. He's basically Miguel Cairo on the bench that can't play 2b (big deal). I'd be glad to have Scotty back, though. I like Rick's proposal to replace Paul.

No matter if he plays or not ST will force the team to do roster gerrymandering and if everything is as normal guys with options will be on the fence if gerrymandering is needed.

Sure he wants to play, sure no bat nice glove Hannahan makes 6 figures... but ST hasn't even started, this bubble thinking will start to pop once players get on the field and show they have nothing or something or break a bone, get a DUI or get traded.

Everyone can come to ST, only 25 get to leave at the end.

14. Likes:

919191 (02-01-2013),RedEye (01-31-2013)

I don't see the Reds paying Scott enough for him to join. He's used to being paid. For a limited role, with Hannahan and Frazier both handling third, I don't see the Reds paying Scott enough to bring him back.

As I've said before, I would rather keep Xavier Paul for a relatively small salary. It's time to stop moving Frazier all over the field and let him settle at third base. Paul provides lefty hitting and a fifth outfielder.

I like the Reds balance right now, and as great as Scott has been over his career, I don't think he fits the current roster very well.
    Last edited by Kc61; 01-31-2013 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    No matter if he plays or not ST will force the team to do roster gerrymandering and if everything is as normal guys with options will be on the fence if gerrymandering is needed.

Sure he wants to play, sure no bat nice glove Hannahan makes 6 figures... but ST hasn't even started, this bubble thinking will start to pop once players get on the field and show they have nothing or something or break a bone, get a DUI or get traded.

Everyone can come to ST, only 25 get to leave at the end.
    Yep. And if someone goes to AAA they are only a phone call away. It's a long season.

Can we get a poll added to this thread? Would you like the Reds to bring Rolen back or not with a simple yes or no as options to answer. I was going to start another thread but there's already two on this topic.

18. Likes:

cumberlandreds (01-31-2013)

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Geez. I am a huge Rolen fan, but I think he waited wayyyyy too long to announce his desire to return, and the signing of Hannahan makes it clear to me the Reds didn't think he was going to return.

Pre-Hannahan signing, I would have jumped all over re-signing Rolen. But with Hannahan already signed for a good amount, and the Reds maxed out on payroll........and now a logjam of players who pretty much only play 3B, excluding the penciled in starter, Frazier, who can also play LF..........WHERE.......Ludwick was signed for a pretty penny to start everyday. It is pretty obvious the 25-man roster is decided and now Scott wants them to "fit him in" somehow. As a person and experienced hitter, I would love to have Scott's bat off the bench. But I'm not crazy about foregoing a LH bat off the bench in Paul.

And Rolen only plays 3B. Only. Pretty much the same with Hannahan.

It's a sad dilemma but I don't think the Reds should make room for Rolen.

I'd offer him a coaching position. And tell him he'll be the first one considered if Frazier or Hannahan go down with injury longterm. That's the only way I deal with Rolen.

Hey! Scott! Yeah, We would love to have you come down to spring training and earn a spot on our club. Here's your one year contract for the minimum.

What? It sounded like you were thinking about a 25% decrease from last years 6 million dollar salary? I can't hear you....the reception's bad. We'll sign you for the league minimum.

What....you don't like that deal.

Oh. Well, there are a bunch of other clubs around. Good luck with them wanting to sign you to a money deal and giving you playing time two weeks before spring training opens.

Sorry that thing with the Dodgers didn't work out. Maybe the Cubs?
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Turn Off Ads?