Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Would you like Scott Rolen back?

Voters
137. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

60 43.80%
  • No

77 56.20%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Fay: Rolen wants to play - do you want him back?

Re: Fay: Rolen wants to play

Bring him back. He was productive in the second half last year. And he means a ton to the clubhouse. Maybe more than most of us think or know.

2. Likes:

redsrolen (02-01-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

FYI...

I've heard quite a few people mention Rolen as a potential coach and eventual manager.

This from from a Fay chat on the Enquirer site in mid January on that subject:

He doesn't want to coach. As he said, "you won't see me swinging a fungo for a living."

Now, maybe a few years away will change his perspective, as he said that to Fay in 2012 when he was still playing.

But, just thought I'd throw that out since people seem to have this idea he would be a good coach.

If the Reds were to win a World Series in 2013 with Rolen on the roster, and if Rolen were to be elected into the HOF, would he consider going in as a Red? How much would that be worth to the organization?

And yes, I agree that those are very big ifs.

I would love to have Rolen back. Frazier should be the starting 3B but I'd be thrilled to have Rolen on the bench.

Jocketty makes it sound like it could happen. From John Fay:

“I think there’s a chance we get something worked out,” he said. “We’re talking about the details — how much opportunity is there.”
    http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...rolen-returns/

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

mlbtr in their last commentary about Rolen had a statement saying that money is an issue. And I took it that it was an issue with Rolen moreso than the Reds. We all know they don't have much room. It intimated that Rolen isn't going to play cheap. Atleast that's the way I took it.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Yep. And if someone goes to AAA they are only a phone call away. It's a long season.
    Done

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Really? Are you forgetting what Sept/Oct looked like? Rolen was completely worn out. He offered very little to this club. Simply put Heisey can stay healthy for the entire year; Rolen can't
    Rolen on the bench can stay healthy enough for a year. He provides much needed defense in the late innings at 3B, and a veteran power bat off the bench.

Heisey = Tracy Jones, in my mind. I like his hustle, but the more the league sees him, the worse he gets.

Of course, I'd like to have both, but I'm just saying, if it came down to it, I'd keep Rolen and trade Heisey.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Re: Fay: Rolen wants to play - do you want him back?

I can't help but think the best case for the Reds would be a gentlemans agreement that Rolen stays in good shape and come August the Reds sign a fresh Rolen for the stretch run assuming they are in contention.

Not that Rolen would play along, but it would give him the summer with his family...so who knows.

11. Likes:

Vottomatic (01-31-2013)

Heisey is required because he plays CF.

If you want Rolen, you must be okay with dealing/ sending down one of: Donald, Hannahan, or Paul.

(And I'd be fine with that.)

I think, if Rolen signs, Jocketty will deal from his surplus of starting pitching (Leake? Corcino? Bailey?) and one of Hanahan/ Donald and others (Hanigan? Mesoraco? Cozart?) to either improve a major league "hole" or go prospecting.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Rolen on the bench can stay healthy enough for a year. He provides much needed defense in the late innings at 3B, and a veteran power bat off the bench.

Heisey = Tracy Jones, in my mind. I like his hustle, but the more the league sees him, the worse he gets.

Of course, I'd like to have both, but I'm just saying, if it came down to it, I'd keep Rolen and trade Heisey.
    I don't share your confidence that Rolen has anything left in the tank. I wish I was wrong because I loved it when we acquired him. I think it's time to move on

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Heisey is required because he plays CF.

If you want Rolen, you must be okay with dealing/ sending down one of: Donald, Hannahan, or Paul.

(And I'd be fine with that.)

I think, if Rolen signs, Jocketty will deal from his surplus of starting pitching (Leake? Corcino? Bailey?) and one of Hanahan/ Donald and others (Hanigan? Mesoraco? Cozart?) to either improve a major league "hole" or go prospecting.
    Why? The team doesn't have a true starting CF, and it really doesn't have a true backup CF. I trust Paul in CF as much as Heisey. And there's a good chance the Reds will be using both Choo and Bruce in CF in 2013. so there's even less need for another CF.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I don't share your confidence that Rolen has anything left in the tank. I wish I was wrong because I loved it when we acquired him. I think it's time to move on
    Could very well be. But I don't share the confidence most have with Heisey. I see him falling off a cliff this season.

Paul's CF numbers are poor. Both Bruce and Choo are likely to be defensively poor in CF.

Heisey's CF numbers, meanwhile, project as at least league average.

In short, he's the only passable glove on the team.

Add to that his PH capabilities (very, very good since being called up), and he's your likely fourth OF and a late-inning PH.

Could very well be. But I don't share the confidence most have with Heisey. I see him falling off a cliff this season.
    How so?

His numbers all projected very good until struggling early last season.

Well that may very well be but I doubt that possibility is effecting management's thinking on Rolen one bit

Turn Off Ads?