Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bullpen

Bullpen

So....the bullpen has been really good lately.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Re: Bullpen

or whatever

And will get better within Marshall and Broxton coming back healthy. Marshall should be back after the break, and Broxton is a couple weeks behind that, according to reports.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

I don't think you "get" RedsZone, Raisor. This is not a place to discuss things that are going well. It's a place to complain about Zack Cozart batting 2nd.

But seriously...

Reds bullpen is: 7th in the NL in ERA, 9th in FIP, 10th in xFIP. In terms of components, 1st in K% (by a mile), T-14th in BB%, 11th in HR/9.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

According to Fay the bullpen has set two records. Most consecutive scoreless innings,31 2/3. Most consecutive games without a run at 10.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...s-two-records/
    Reds Fan Since 1971

"So Fla Red"

The bullpen has been great lately, but it hasn't impacted the W/L total much in the recent 7-12 stretch due to the poor offense and the suddenly shaky starting pitching. They've been playing from behind for the better part of three weeks. And in the 13-4, 6-2 (leake 8 1/3 vs Mil), no hitter and the 8-1 blowout wins bullpen support was a non-factor.

The extra inning game in Texas and the Giants wednesday last week are the only games the stellar pen made an actual difference. The Pitt game to start the downard spiral was lost by the pen and the Sunday AZ game was nearly blown by the pen with a 4-run lead. Kind of the Lost Decade syndrom - Reds pen always pitches well when playing from behind.

Still a great sign to see the pen stabilize. Now let's see what they can do when they are needed to hold a late lead multiple days in a row. Really, that could actually happen again one of these weeks

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I don't think you "get" RedsZone, Raisor. This is not a place to discuss things that are going well. It's a place to complain about Zack Cozart batting 2nd.
    It's sadly a place to complain about Votto havng a .950 OPS.......

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    It's sadly a place to complain about Votto havng a .950 OPS.......
    "That's not getting the job done" -- Marty B.

[Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    According to Fay the bullpen has set two records. Most consecutive scoreless innings,31 2/3. Most consecutive games without a run at 10.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...s-two-records/
    Jinx!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Bullpen: 7th in NL....that bodes well for a team that thinks it is contending for a World Series appearance...I am glad to have a winning team and all, but the ignoring and wishful thinking by management for filling certain positions is just insulting to my intelligence.

Bum

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bumstead View Post
    Bullpen: 7th in NL....that bodes well for a team that thinks it is contending for a World Series appearance...I am glad to have a winning team and all, but the ignoring and wishful thinking by management for filling certain positions is just insulting to my intelligence.

Bum
    Or maybe the hard work behind the scenes trying to get something done and negotiating for the big trade before the deadline haven't materialized yet. Walt has proved that he is a very capable GM and Dusty wants to win as badly as anyone. This team has fought through injuries to the starting LF, the backup LF, the ace, the starting C, and two-thirds of the back-end of its bullpen and is still battling on in position to make the post season. If the Reds get healthy this will be a team to be reckoned with in September and October.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain13 View Post
    Or maybe the hard work behind the scenes trying to get something done and negotiating for the big trade before the deadline haven't materialized yet. Walt has proved that he is a very capable GM and Dusty wants to win as badly as anyone. This team has fought through injuries to the starting LF, the backup LF, the ace, the starting C, and two-thirds of the back-end of its bullpen and is still battling on in position to make the post season. If the Reds get healthy this will be a team to be reckoned with in September and October.
    Eh...they gave a "wishful thinking" 2 year contract to a guy that has had 1 decent year in what 5 years and is on the wrong side of the aging process. Sure, he was the starting LF but reliable and cleanup hitter...not so much..."starting catcher" is debatable...maybe the catcher "that is starting" is a better way to phrase it. Yeah, they will be better when Broxton and Marshall return, but really, they are pressing for a 1 game playoff where anything can happen. Just seems counter productive to what has been built upon the last 3 seasons...If Dusty was so worried about winning, Cozart wouldn't have batted 2nd after weak (spelling intentional) 3 and Votto and Bruce wouldn't need a "righty" hitting between them. I'm sure he wants to win, he just won't change in order to win. Hopefully a trade is brewing, but if the Reds are making a trade to secure a 1 game playoff, then I have that "eh" feeling all over again.

Bum

Bullpen has been good now that there are no leads to protect. That is the frustrating part of this team. The multiple parts haven't all been good at the same time.

When Marshall comes back I am assuming partch goes down, but who goes down when broxton comes back..ondrusek,or parra I assume, to me that sucks because I think both might b better than broxton, and if cueto comes back do we put cingrani in bullpen or send him to minors, if he goes to bullpen then who goes , probaly parra or ondrusek whichever one is still here, I just hope I am not jinxing us by assuming everyone will b healthy

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Cubs Designate Henry Rodriguez For Assignment

By Edward Creech [July 14 at 3:51pm CST]
    The Cubs have designated right-hander Henry Rodriguez for assignment, tweets MLB.com's Carrie Muskat. The move clears a roster spot for outfielder Cole Gillespie, who was claimed on waivers from the Giants yesterday, tweets Bruce Miles of the Daily Herald.

This is the second time in six weeks Rodriguez has been designated for assigment. The Cubs acquired the 26-year-old on June 11 after the Nationals removed him from their roster. Rodriguez flashes a 100 mph fastball, but command and control has eluded him. In his five-game stint with the Cubs covering four innings, Rodriguez walked four, allowed six hits, and struck out four while allowing four runs (two earned). For the season, the Venezuelan has a 4.09 ERA, 4.9 K/9, 8.2 BB/9, and 8.2 H/9 in 17 games (18 innings).

The Cubs now have ten days to trade Rodriguez, outright him to the minors, or release him.

Turn Off Ads?