Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rolen wants to play in 13'

Rolen wants to play in 13'

Reds and Jocketty should absolutely being him back for 1 more year. Rolen makes this team and our bench better, plain and simple. Leadership and intangibles are off the chart, if healthy, he would help this team. Frazier is the starting 3B, no question about it. Rolen would be perfect to fill the Cairo type role this year, late game defense replacement, pinch hitter, spot starts at 3B, maybe even 1B. The players LOVE Scotty and want him back. The issues are the money, the 40 man is full, the roster is tight, so it should be interesting here soon. Ideally, Rolen would accept a minor league deal and show the Reds he can still play in ST, while showing he is healthy. But no doubt Rolen makes the 2013 Reds a better team, hopefully he comes back for 1 more year. The other issue is, J Donald has no options left, and the Reds would likely lose him to another team if we placed him on waivers, so I am sure the Reds would phantom DL someone in order to put Rolen on the 40 man.

2. Likes:

redsrolen (02-01-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Rolen wants to play in 13'

Never mind the money, I'm having trouble finding room for him.

Hannahan was just signed for 2MM. He'll make the team, barring injury. Donald is the only guy we've got who can cover SS. Does Paul have options? Even so, you'd then be carrying only one reserve OF and would be losing your only LH option off the bench.

I think Hannahan's deal was the nail in the coffin.

Pastor, dad and husband Mr Larkin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by [deleted] View Post
    Never mind the money, I'm having trouble finding room for him.

Hannahan was just signed for 2MM. He'll make the team, barring injury. Donald is the only guy we've got who can cover SS. Does Paul have options? Even so, you'd then be carrying only one reserve OF and would be losing your only LH option off the bench.

I think Hannahan's deal was the nail in the coffin.
    Agree. I don't think there is room for Rolen and don't think that is necessarily a bad thing. Hope the guy has a blast in LA.

Rolen should be brought back as an instructor in spring training or as a special advisor, but it's time for the Reds to move on.

Quote Originally Posted by MBZags View Post
    Rolen should be brought back as an instructor in spring training or as a special advisor, but it's time for the Reds to move on.
    Frazier at this point is a way better option. I would not mind him being Fraziers back up though.

Article I read on MLBTR made it sound like it was pretty much down to money. I'd hate to send Paul down (but that would take him going through waivers...he ran out of options after last season), but he's not the only lefty on the bench, Hannahan bats left...and Todd could back up one or two outfield spots in a pinch....but I agree....the Rolen ship has sailed IMO

Rolen fan but despite a mini-hot streak after the all-star break, he really looked finished last season. I think he should call it a career and don't see how much value he can bring to the Reds in 2013. You know, if Rolen does indeed come back the lineup is no longer "Dusty Proofed".

Quote Originally Posted by Beatlessp View Post
    but he's not the only lefty on the bench, Hannahan bats left...
    My mistake, I don't know why I thought otherwise.

Come on, really! The Reds sign Hannahan who posted similiar stats to Rolen last season and bats LH for $2M. I also believe Hannahan can play 2B if needed.
    Rolen is one dimensional, was a great and still is a good fielding 3B, at age 38 probably rates the same as Hannahan at the plate. The question is how much $$$ will he ask for, and is it worth losing a LH from the bench, either Paul or Hannahan.

Question for you all. Say Votto, Bruce or Ludwick is lost for an extended period. What would you rather have in the 5 or 6 hole?

1. Rolen/Hannahan platooning at 3B with Frazier moving to the vacated spot?
    2. Hesiey in CF and Choo moving to LF or RF (who plays 1B if Votto goes down?).
    3. A Heisey/Paul platoon.

I think its a no brainer. Give me Rolen/Hannahan. Its the best insurance to cover for one of the key 3, 4, 5, or 6 hole hitters since the platoon would effectively back-up all four corner spots. The Reds can keep Paul around by wise use of the DL. Some one like Soto or Redmond can be jettisoned to make room on the 40 man. Better yet, peddle a guy like Masset for a PTBNL to make roster and payroll room while clearing a spot for Hoover in the pen.
    Last edited by mth123; 02-01-2013 at 12:33 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

13. Likes:

REDREAD (02-07-2013)

Unless Rolen has gotten ahold of some good "deer antler spray" that can return his shoulder and back back to the way it was in the early 2000's, I think it is time to let that ship sail. He was horrible last year with the exception of about a three week period.

I don't trust Dusty to not play him 45+% of the time. Pass.

16. Likes:

JohnCocktoasten (02-01-2013),KYRedLeg (02-01-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Question for you all. Say Votto, Bruce or Ludwick is lost for an extended period. What would you rather have in the 5 or 6 hole?

I think its a no brainer. Give me Rolen/Hannahan. Its the best insurance to cover for one of the key 3, 4, 5, or 6 hole hitters since the platoon would effectively back-up all four corner spots. The Reds can keep Paul around by wise use of the DL. Some one like Soto or Redmond can be jettisoned to make room on the 40 man. Better yet, peddle a guy like Masset for a PTBNL to make roster and payroll room while clearing a spot for Hoover in the pen.
    Why is it such a no-brainer?
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    Why is it such a no-brainer?
    Because Frazier can back up all 4 spots. Heisey could probably do OK in a platoon with Hananhan if one of the OF goes down (with Frazier in the OF against RHP and at 3B against LHP), but if its Votto or Frazier going down, it gives the RH PAs to Jason Donald.

With the addition of Choo, I'm not really seeing the value of Paul as much. He's not a good fit to back-up either Bruce or Choo since he hits LH. He's not much of a defender and I just don't see that he will add as much on the bench as Rolen will. If the Reds need a banch player against a RHP, I'd rather have Hannahan in there and move Frazier around. I don't dislike Paul, I just like Rolen a lot more. Donald is the back-up MI, seems like Paul has the least utility of anyone on the roster.
    Last edited by mth123; 02-01-2013 at 08:09 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post

My thoughts exactly. And this is still a young team. Having Rolen on the bench helps the clubhouse

Turn Off Ads?