Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What am I missing with Delmon Young?

What am I missing with Delmon Young?

I know he has some character issues, but I see a 27 year old former first overall selection that consistently bats over .260 and drives in 70 runs a year. He finished 10th in the AL MVP race just over 2 years ago. He also got signed for under $1M salary. Compared to Ludwick's money, why was he not even considered? Just wondering what others thought. And again, I dont know how bad his off the field issues are.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What am I missing with Delmon Young?

1. The off-the-field issues are pretty intense. He's been busted for racial slurs and has a clause in his current contract that essentially pays him bonuses for not getting fat. He doesn't exactly have a reputation for being a hard worker.

2. It's hard to articulate how absurdly bad of a defender he his. Any small value in his bat is offset immediately by his piss-poor imitation of a serviceable outfielder. His only real hope for being a producing player was to sign on as a DH somewhere. Oh, Ruben Amaro.

3. Dude can't take a walk to save his life. OBP'd .296 in 600 PA last season. His career mark is in Stubbs territory.

None of the professional projection systems are kind to Young going forward. He's the quintessential bust and the fact that he managed to land a starting role on an NL (!!!) team is jaw-dropping to me. Most ML teams didn't even look his way this off-season. Very glad the Reds were among them.

Stat geek...and proud

He's essentially a crappier version of Jonny Gomes, and that's actually an insult to Jonny. He's a bench/DH guy on a good team, if he's starting for you, then you probably aren't going anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    He's essentially a crappier version of Jonny Gomes, and that's actually an insult to Jonny. He's a bench/DH guy on a good team, if he's starting for you, then you probably aren't going anywhere.
    Although I agree with you, it might be worth noting that he has been on a first place team each of the last four years. Not too many guys have 8 playoff home runs at the age of 27.

I can't help but think of the worst throw I've ever seen a MLB player make when I hear Delmon Young...

http://larrybrownsports.com/baseball...g-throw/159881

He was so bad defensively, that the Tigers played a couple guys out of position so that his glove could be kept off the field.. think about that

I sure his rumored toxic personality really doesn't help either.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I recall Young's days in Durham when he was in the Tampa minor leagues. He made the news a couple of times, on and off the field. Zero character guy. I wouldn't want this guy in my dugout under any circumstances.

From Wikipedia:

On April 26, 2006, while playing for the Durham Bulls in a game against the Pawtucket Red Sox, Young was ejected for arguing a disputed third strike call and before heading back to the dugout, Young flung his bat underhand which made contact with the umpire. He stared at the umpire for some time and refused to leave the batter's box. He finally did, but then started to return to his dugout and the center field camera caught him throwing his bat underhand, end-over-end, toward the umpire. The bat hit the umpire on his chest and arm but he was not seriously hurt.[2]

The next day, Young issued an apology through his agent, claiming that he had not intended for the bat to actually strike the umpire, but acknowledging that it was unacceptable to have thrown the bat at all. The International League suspended Young for 50 games, without pay. Young had the option to appeal the suspension, but chose not to do so. The suspension ended on June 19, 2006.[3]

This altercation was not the first he had with an umpire during a game. In 2005, while playing for the Double-A Montgomery Biscuits, Young received a three-game suspension for bumping an umpire.[4]

Quote Originally Posted by JB12 View Post
    I can't help but think of the worst throw I've ever seen a MLB player make when I hear Delmon Young...

http://larrybrownsports.com/baseball...g-throw/159881
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufICeiWz56A
    ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ Matthew 25:40

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
    I almost died when I heard that sound effect at the :19 mark. Good stuff

Didn't Adam Dunn make a throw and the ball went sideways or maybe behind him? I will have to try to find a link to that.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Didn't Adam Dunn make a throw and the ball went sideways or maybe behind him? I will have to try to find a link to that.
    Nothing will ever beat Paul O'neill kicking the baseball back to the infield.

I transcend race, hombre LaFlamaBlanca's Avatar

Forget Delmon Young, this thread has potential.

Quote Originally Posted by LeDoux View Post
    ha. somehow he actually made it look pretty good

I always liked Rick Vaughns first throw in Major League where he hits the fence in front of the mascot. And of course the Bull Durham throw... Classic

Quote Originally Posted by LeDoux View Post
    Hey, at least he got it to his cut-off man!

I remember watching that live and almost having to run to the bathroom I was laughing so hard... Almost...

Turn Off Ads?