Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rolen wants to play in 13'

Re: Rolen wants to play in 13'

Quote Originally Posted by LexRedsFan View Post
    Do you trust Dusty to only play him in a back-up role? I personally don't.
    Nor do I.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by LexRedsFan View Post
    Do you trust Dusty to only play him in a back-up role? I personally don't.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Dusty been quoted as saying "It's Todd's time," or something along those lines?

What I'm more concerned about is Rolen's salary and his ability to stay healthy/produce. As has been pointed out before, his defensive prowess is nowhere near where it once was, and his hitting ability has diminished considerably as well.

I can't believe the Dodgers, or anyone else, are contemplating giving Rolen Major League at-bats.

He's been nothing but an albatross around the Reds' neck for 2-1/2 years (see 2010 playoffs).

His .615 Road OPS, 256 points less than Frazier's last year, shows what little has been left in his tank for a long time. Removed from the Right-handed Power benefits of the GAB and placed into the power-draining atmosphere of Dodger Stadium, Rolen won't sniff a .600 OPS Total for 2013.

If he plays for the Dodgers, they will lose more games, so I hope they sign him.

Better to leave that roster spot free for bouncing players on and off the team as needs arise than to handcuff the team with someone who is basically worthless, one with few tools, if any at all, to help the team win games.

Dodgers GM Ned Colletti suggested on MLB Network that free agent third baseman Scott Rolen will "probably end up some other place than Los Angeles,"Ken Gurnick of MLB.com reports. The Dodgers had “some interest” in bringing Rolen on to provide depth at the corner infielder positions, Colletti acknowledged.
    Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#Mu0ojWVM5VG3OOa8.99

The only two destinations that I have heard mentioned for Rolen were the Dodgers and the Reds. So, if it isn't the Dodgers then.......

I think the biggest thing is location. Rolen doesn't want to leave the midwest. IF he chooses that he wants to make another run, then it will be in Cincinnati or with another team that shows interest within the area.

As much as I love Scott Rolen as a player, I wholeheartedly do not want him on this team.

I am curious if the Reds had already made Rolen a formal offer but intentionally low balled him to save public relations face when they really don't want him to return.

Quote Originally Posted by Beatlessp View Post
    Part of me doesn't blame him for wanting to play another year...I wouldn't wanna go up against and be compared to Chipper Jones my first year of eligibility either......but I think he's done with the Reds after the off-season moves they've made this year...I really don't see room for him anywhere
    I don't see that being an issue. Rolen is a lock for the HOF.
    Even if that wasn't true, I doubt players worry that much of about HOF elections. I am sure they are honored if elected, and maybe annoyed if they not elected, but I doubt it's something most players lose sleep over.

Rolen wants to come back because he likes the guys on the team and likes to play. I appreciate what Paul did for us last year, but I bet he slides through waivers and the Reds can put him in AAA.. Even talent poor Houston would probably rather play kids in the OF than go with a limited upside guy like Paul.
    If we lose Paul, it's not exactly a trajedy.

I just think of all the playing time Cairo got over the last few years. Rolen could fill a lot of that (other than 2b). I don't want Heisey (or Paul) to be to a starter if there's an injury. Having 2 other guys that can play 3b is a blessing, because that means Rolen will not have to play hurt as he has done in years past.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Reds Fan and UGA Student ATL Reds Fan's Avatar

I am a little bit surprised that the Braves haven't been mentioned at all in possibly signing Rolen. Third base is definitely their biggest weakness and having Rolen for one year to spot start and mentor their current young guys seems like it would be valuable to them.

Not shocking, but Rolen will not be at Reds camp this spring...

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...-be-returning/

smart play by Rolen and keeps the lineup "dustyproofed" heading into season.

Turn Off Ads?