Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rolen wants to play in 13'

Re: Rolen wants to play in 13'

I agree their are cases where we might wish we had him, but are we seriously considering carrying 3 3rd basemen? I think the roster constraints that would cause is reason enough to not bring him back. Bringing in Hannahan in the 1st place seems curious right now if they were still considering bringing Rolen back.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by swaisuc View Post
    I agree their are cases where we might wish we had him, but are we seriously considering carrying 3 3rd basemen? I think the roster constraints that would cause is reason enough to not bring him back. Bringing in Hannahan in the 1st place seems curious right now if they were still considering bringing Rolen back.
    So, what circumstance would carrying Paul be better than carrying Rolen? How many wins would it be worth? I can think of several scenarios where having Rolen would enhance the team's chance of winning. I really can't think of any where having Paul over Rolen would add any wins.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    So, what circumstance would carrying Paul be better than carrying Rolen? How many wins would it be worth? I can think of several scenarios where having Rolen would enhance the team's chance of winning. I really can't think of any where having Paul over Rolen would add any wins.
    And that is probably what it would come down to, Rolen vs Paul. I suppose you could say Rolen vs Hannahan, but they did just sign Hannahan to a 2 year deal, which would indicate he's making the team. Plus throw in Frasier's ability to play all over the field, so he just isn't a 3rd sacker.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Rolen hasn't been good the last 2.5 years. Father time has won that battle. He hasn't even fielded well and his range has really shrunk. He has also had costly errors or misplays in both of our playoff series.

6. Likes:

JohnCocktoasten (02-01-2013)

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    Rolen hasn't been good the last 2.5 years. Father time has won that battle. He hasn't even fielded well and his range has really shrunk. He has also had costly errors or misplays in both of our playoff series.
    Agreed.

The BIGGEST concern for me is the money. Even if the front office is gung ho about bringing him back for `13, I don't see how they could justify the funds... granted, I don't know how much Rolen would take either.

Player-Coach?

(Pinch hitter/backup 1B/backup backup 3B - Hitting Coach)

Reassign Jacoby to....................something else?
    "...kicks and deals, and it's right down Broadway"

Quote Originally Posted by joshua View Post
    I don't trust Dusty to not play him 45+% of the time. Pass.
    Don't know about this percentage, but my discomfort comes from not wanting Frazier looking over his shoulder and worries that Rolen's presence would lead to that - and Dusty using Rolen more than he should.

Still, probably worth that risk.

During a break on MLB Network, they just announced this.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...-this-weekend/

Reds GM Walt Jocketty hopes for resolution on Scott Rolen as soon as this weekend:

We heard yesterday that veteran third baseman Scott Rolen was leaning toward returning for another season, but it’s not clear whether he’ll do so as a member of the Reds. We might not have to wait much longer to find out.

According to Mark Sheldon of MLB.com, Reds general manager Walt Jocketty said today that Rolen’s status is “still up in the air,” but that he’s hoping to “get it resolved this weekend.” Just where he’d fit on the Reds’ roster is unknown, but Jocketty said his role would be determined during spring training.

Rolen would almost certainly have to take a backseat to Todd Frazier after he batted just .245/.318/.398 with eight home runs, 39 RBI and a .716 OPS over 92 games last season. The Dodgers have also expressed interest in him this winter and could present a better opportunity and quite possibly, a more lucrative offer.
    Last edited by goreds2; 02-02-2013 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Deleted things not needed in the post
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

This is definitely an emotional decision here. I think all of our hearts would like to see Rolen back but ultimately this is about winning and who makes the team better. He is not good enough to start over Frazier any more and you would have an old no upside player on the bench who can only play one position. Basically you're paying decent money for a pinch hitter (and leader of course). I'd like for him to retire but if not then good luck to him in LA.

Part of me doesn't blame him for wanting to play another year...I wouldn't wanna go up against and be compared to Chipper Jones my first year of eligibility either......but I think he's done with the Reds after the off-season moves they've made this year...I really don't see room for him anywhere

I heard Walt on 700 WLW last night say that he'd be fine with taking as long as a day or two before spring training to make a deal (if ones going to be made at all). So, I doubt we'd hear of a deal being made by the end of the weekend... but who knows.

I dont think he would get the fanfair Chipper got in his run around the country last year but it sure would be nice to see him healthy for one last full year and retire a Red. That being said IMHO I would rather have Hannahan. I live in NE OH and watch alot of Indians games. Jack isnt a bad player. He can help this team and can put up some decent numbers. Hes also more versitile as he plays more than just 3B. Theres always going to be injuries so Rolen would probably get playing time but he definitely wouldnt start the year in AAA. If a deal does get done I will be very interested in seeing what the plan is with him. When was the Reds last player/coach? Pete?
    "Losing feels worse than winning feels good." -Vin Scully

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    This

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan1995 View Post
    Frazier at this point is a way better option. I would not mind him being Fraziers back up though.
    Do you trust Dusty to only play him in a back-up role? I personally don't.

Turn Off Ads?