Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: JJ Hoover in Extras?

JJ Hoover in Extras?

I'm surprised I couldn't easily find a thread for this after yesterday's game, but does anyone know HOW many games JJ Hoover has blown in extra innings? The first game against the mets in April he gave up a grand slam to lose, and I feel like it cursed him. I want to say 5 times, but I'm not entirely sure.

Can someone figure out what games he's lost in extras and then explain to me why price keeps putting him in when the score is tied?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: JJ Hoover in Extras?

Quote Originally Posted by tnarg515 View Post
    I'm surprised I couldn't easily find a thread for this after yesterday's game, but does anyone know HOW many games JJ Hoover has blown in extra innings? The first game against the mets in April he gave up a grand slam to lose, and I feel like it cursed him. I want to say 5 times, but I'm not entirely sure.

Can someone figure out what games he's lost in extras and then explain to me why price keeps putting him in when the score is tied?
    Broxton, Lecure and Chapman had already been used. Who did you want the Reds to use?
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Baseball reference has game logs of appearances.

Memory is a funny thing. Hoover has been brought into the game in extra innings this year three times. He (and the reds) have lost two of those games.

The mets game in april was a 9th inning loss.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    Broxton, Lecure and Chapman had already been used. Who did you want the Reds to use?
    and parra and diaz.....there just were not options.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

6. Likes:

westofyou (07-11-2014)

At that point it was Hoover's game to win or lose. With a critical series this weekend and a banged up squad I'm glad the game didn't go more innings.
    No - I am not from State Farm!

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Or JJ Hoover never toes the rubber if the REDS can score just one run in innings 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 or 11. Of course the offense has some injuries. But we are not talking about pitchers named Kershaw or Wainwright. Rather... Hendricks, Russell, Strop, N. Ramirez, H. Rondon and B. Parker. UGH!

We could also blame Broxton. But considering his ERA of 0.87 (3ER in 31IP) this season, we need to be more forgiving towards him.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Yeah - if only he hadn't stuck his glove up on that chopper...inning over, no damage
    No - I am not from State Farm!

10. Likes:

RedFanAlways1966 (07-11-2014)

OK, you're right about that Mets game being in the ninth. I guess it's not just extras, its any tied game...

but then again tonight, 7/12/14, JJ Hoover is also the losing pitcher for a tied game in extras...

OK, you're right about that Mets game being in the ninth. I guess it's not just extras, its any tied game...

but then again tonight, 7/12/14, JJ Hoover is also the losing pitcher for a tied game in extras...
    So what you are saying is that Bryan Price avoided using JJ Hoover until he absolutely had to, again? Seems like you are on the same page as Price.

13. Likes:

Redeyecat (07-15-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    So what you are saying is that Bryan Price avoided using JJ Hoover until he absolutely had to, again? Seems like you are on the same page as Price.
    Many short relievers have problems in their second inning of work. Hoover has been effective for one inning of late. He has good stuff.

But he is a fly ball pitcher in a home run stadium and the pitch to McCutchen was a big mistake.

Hoover is our last line of defense, didnt have anybody else

I'm sure a batboy could server up a home run just as well as JJ, and for less pay.

Hoover been quite good for several years and actually has been pretty good lately after a couple of awful outings. I'm not completely confident he's 100% back to previous standards, but I'm far from ready to give up on him (not that a stint in AAA is out of the question if he has options).

Hoover does seem like he is always in the middle of a loss, but you cant let McCutchen beats you there should have pitched around him and if he got himself out then great!

Another one again tonight....
    I honestly stop watching the game when he comes to the mound....I already know the outcome.

Turn Off Ads?