Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Reds sign C Miguel Olivo

Re: Reds to sign C Miguel Olivo?

For the Record, I think I'd rather have Mes on the Reds and Olivo in AAA, but I really wonder about the Reds. Mes spit the bit last year and then got told to go sit in a corner as the season wound down. Not sure the Reds won't be wanting him to go down and get on a roll at AAA before he gets a second shot.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Turn Off Ads?

but at the expense of sucking some life out of your offense and hurting your pitching staff?
    Mes didn't hit last year. You can't assume he'd be a whole lot better than Olivo at this point. Let him prove the bat is back first, and the best way for him to do that is to get reps in AAA.

Olivo caught pretty much full-time in Seattle in 2011. Looks to me like their starting staff did just fine. Not sure I understand the cause for alarm.

I don't really understand this signing unless Oliva says he wouldn't have a problem going to AAA. Given his power numbers, I'm surprised he can't find a guaranteed bench position with somebody.

It seems to me that the best place for Mes right now is on the major league team. He's the future, and I'd rather see him with the Reds getting occasional starts and learning than in the minors playing full time. He's done enough of that.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

bench catchers aren't hitters. they are defensive guys first. that ain't Olivo.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Reds Sign Miguel Olivo
    By Ben Nicholson-Smith [February 1 at 1:26pm CST]
    The Reds announced that they signed catcher Miguel Olivo to a minor league contract with an invitation to MLB Spring Training (Twitter link). Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com, who first reported the sides were nearing a deal, reports that the Phillies, Astros and Dodgers also inquired on Olivo (Twitter links).

Olivo, 34, played for the Mariners in 2012, appearing in 87 games. The right-handed hitter posted a .222/.239/.381 batting line with 12 home rune in 323 plate appearances. He hit for more power against left-handers than right-handers last year, which isn't surprising considering his career line of .270/.303/.477 against southpaws.

Agent Martin Arburua represents Olivo, an 11-year MLB veteran, who earned $3.5MM in 2012. He joins a Reds roster that includes Ryan Hanigan and Devin Mesoraco. The free agent market for catchers no longer features many options for interested teams. Rod Barajas, Chris Snyder and Matt Treanor are among the remaining options, as MLBTR's Free Agent Tracker shows.

Well, at least its better depth than we had. He could potentially provide some power if he does make the team. Setting Mez's course for 2014+ isn't the worst thing either, since he'll be in his prime and still inexpensive nearer to when the current roster gets reshuffled post Ludwick and Choo.

I think we go through this nearly every spring -- the Reds need lots of catchers at the start of spring training. Plus, this gives them AAA depth especially if Hannigan or Mes gets hurt.
    Where we gonna go?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Mes didn't hit last year. You can't assume he'd be a whole lot better than Olivo at this point. Let him prove the bat is back first, and the best way for him to do that is to get reps in AAA.

Olivo caught pretty much full-time in Seattle in 2011. Looks to me like their starting staff did just fine. Not sure I understand the cause for alarm.
    Mesoraco was vastly superior of a hitter than Olivo was last year. Again, 2011-2012, 27 walks, 225 strikeouts. Think about that for a second.

As for what his staff did in 2011.... so what. Look at the metrics for pitch framing. It's poor. Look at his CS rate. It's poor. Can he call a decent game? I honestly don't know. But how much does that matter if he can't trick the umpire into calling balls strikes and is getting some strikes called balls?

10. Likes:

Cursh14 (02-01-2013),Nasty_Boy (02-02-2013)

I am just speculating, but I believe the Reds want Mez to succeed, and he clearly has the inside track on the ML job.

Olivo got a minor league deal. That's where he's going to go.

Mez would have to do something incredibily boneheaded to not make the opening day roster (which I doubt happens).

The Reds have a lot invested in Mez. They are going to give him another chance. I predict he gets to catch two of the starters this season again.
    If he hits, his playing time will grow beyond that.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I am just speculating, but I believe the Reds want Mez to succeed, and he clearly has the inside track on the ML job.

Olivo got a minor league deal. That's where he's going to go.

Mez would have to do something incredibily boneheaded to not make the opening day roster (which I doubt happens).

The Reds have a lot invested in Mez. They are going to give him another chance. I predict he gets to catch two of the starters this season again.
    If he hits, his playing time will grow beyond that.
    He won't be catching Arroyo. and probably not Latos And I am betting the Reds want Hanigan behind the dish for Chapman.

That leaves Cueto and Bailey.

I really wish Hanigan would catch Bailey or that a lot of Hanigan rubs off on Mes.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Re: Reds sign C Miguel Olivo.

I like the Miguel Olivo signing. It provides needed depth at the catcher position.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Does anyone actually think that Olivo is going to be on the REDS roster and not in Louisville playing platoon with Corky?
    I don't think it's impossible.

Reds management may want Mez catching everyday in Louisville rather than sitting on the bench with the big club. It's pretty clear most of the pitchers prefer Hanigan. And Mez struggled big time last year.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    He won't be catching Arroyo. and probably not Latos And I am betting the Reds want Hanigan behind the dish for Chapman.

I really wish Hanigan would catch Bailey or that a lot of Hanigan rubs off on Mes.
    I thought Hanigan started catching Bailey in the second half last year?

In fact, I thought all of the starters plus Chapman preferred Hanigan catching them?

Re: Reds sign C Miguel Olivo.

Of course we all know what this really means: Mes will be going to Miami as part of the big Stanton trade.

It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

17. Likes:

Bumstead (02-04-2013),Scrap Irony (02-01-2013)

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post

Personally, I kinda hope they ditch the whole personal catcher thing. Both guys need to catch ALL of the pitchers IMO.

19. Likes:

Nasty_Boy (02-02-2013),Slyder (02-03-2013),Tommyjohn25 (02-01-2013)

Turn Off Ads?