• Logan Ondrusek, 2 Year Deal, $2.3 Million total Guarantee

29 39.73%
  • J.J, Hoover, Minimum, has options

38 52.05%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pick your pen

Pick your pen

Assuming the Reds open the season with the 4 main starters, both Chapman and Leake and bullpen locks Broxton, Marshall and Lecure who will be the other three members of the bullpen?

Who will the Reds pick?

Vote for 3

Should say 2013 in the Arredondo option. If a mod could fix, that would be great.
    Last edited by mth123; 02-03-2013 at 07:34 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Pick your pen

I think Simon's a relative lock. Gotta have a long man, and he filled that role effectively last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    I think Simon's a relative lock. Gotta have a long man, and he filled that role effectively last year.
    Won't that be Leake in 2013?
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Won't that be Leake in 2013?
    I don't know how they're gonna handle that. I guess it depends if they want to keep him on a starter schedule or not.

Broxton, Marshall, Arredondo, JJ Hoover, Simon & Lecure & Leake. There seams to be a lot of good, solid options. I'm not sure that LEake is a lock for 4 reasons:

1. Need someone from AAA ready to take Aroldis spot in the rotation?
    2. Keep him in AAA in case of injury to another starter
    3. If he spends an entire season at AAA as a starter, he takes Bronson spot next year
    4. He has options - he wasn't picked to be on the NLDS roster for a reason.

I know this post may get picked apart, I'm not saying its going to happen, but Walt has to make a couple of seriously tough decisions and it may come down to who has options and who is garaunteed money.
    Bring on 2018! #%?*!

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    I don't know how they're gonna handle that. I guess it depends if they want to keep him on a starter schedule or not.
    Once they move Chapman in, he goes to the pen unless somebody else is hurt. They can't send him down after mid-April without passing him through waivers. We know he'd never clear.

Simon is 32 and had his first taste of success in 2012. I lean towards it being a fluke and wouldn't risk losing some else to keep him (unless its Ondrusek, but the 2 year deal kils that IMO).

I also wonder if there could be some trade bait in the RP group? Coupled with any reserve INF options they may be able to pick up something of use for the future or add some pieces to the AAA and AA stock that would be less expensive and younger for the growth of the team.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Quote Originally Posted by SweetLou1990 View Post
    Broxton, Marshall, Arredondo, JJ Hoover, Simon & Lecure & Leake. There seams to be a lot of good, solid options. I'm not sure that LEake is a lock for 4 reasons:

1. Need someone from AAA ready to take Aroldis spot in the rotation?
    2. Keep him in AAA in case of injury to another starter
    3. If he spends an entire season at AAA as a starter, he takes Bronson spot next year
    4. He has options - he wasn't picked to be on the NLDS roster for a reason.

I know this post may get picked apart, I'm not saying its going to happen, but Walt has to make a couple of seriously tough decisions and it may come down to who has options and who is garaunteed money.
    I think the Leake to AAA plan is OK, but if he's going to be sent down, it will need to be at the beginning of the season, His option clock expires early in 2013 and after that he'll need to clear waivers even though he still has options remaining. If the plan is Leake in the rotation to start out with Chapman moving in around Late May/early June, they won't be able to send Leake down.

Leake is going to be making around $3 Million in 2013.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I have absolutely no clue how this is going to go down. The Reds really haven't tipped their hand.

In April you really only need 4 starters with all the days off. Do they still keep both Chapman and Leake on the mlb roster as relievers? That's the big question. Does Chapman start out the season closing or does he go to Louisville and maybe work on starting but have limited innings, such as 2 or 3 innings? Does Leake do the same or become a long man? If only 4 starters are needed in April, do they still go with 12 pitchers?

I wish they would stick Hoover at Louisville and let him start. He spent more time in the Braves minor league system starting with pretty good results. If he put up great numbers he could be excellent trade bait. And if the mlb bullpen falters, we already know Hoover can relieve.

Here's what I'd like to see in April:

Louisville - starters:
    Hoover
    Leake
    Chapman
    Corcino
    Cingrani

Reds - starters (April):
    Cueto
    Latos
    Arroyo
    Bailey

Reds - bullpen (April):
    Broxton
    Marshall
    Arredondo
    LeCure
    Masset
    Ondrusek
    Parra
    Simon

If Reds starters have another season like last year in terms of health, it will be miraculous. Leake stays in Louisville and is first up if a starter gets injured.
    Chapman comes up in May and someone else gets sent down, released, or traded.

And we don't know if Masset will even be effective/healthy. If he isn't, then it simplifies everything slightly. Leake takes his place as a long man at the end of the 'pen. But I'm still not sure he wouldn't be better off getting starter reps in Louisville.

Voted Arredondo, Simon, Ondrusek. I doubt Masset will be ready, Parra's lifetime numbers fail to impress me, and I suspect they'll go a bit more experienced rather than keep Hoover up. (Personally I'd keep Hoover but I understand this to be about what the Reds will likely do.)
    But there are a lot of variables. I expect the Chapman experiment to work well enough that they will open with it, but I also fear injuries to this year's rotation. It wouldn't surprise me at all for us to begin the year with one of the 6 starters on the DL, which would open another bullpen spot. If Parra pitches at all competently in ST, he'd probably get that spot as the 2nd lefthander.
    I expect to see all of these guys--with possible exception of Masset--during the season. I like the depth.

For the record, the Reds have only 2 off days in April (April 2 and April 11). They will need 5 starters from the get go.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    For the record, the Reds have only 2 off days in April (April 2 and April 11). They will need 5 starters from the get go.
    Then Leake is with the team from Day 1.

I haven't heard an update on Masset in forever. It would make a nice article or snippet for either Sheldon or Fay to find out how Nick's recovery is coming.

This on Masset from the Reds Website dated 12/7. Sounds like his three month rehab program would make opening on the DL likely.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...k_cin&c_id=cin

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/0...wers-lyon.html

The Reds are monitoring the relief market and could make a deal if the price is low enough, ESPN.com’s Jerry Crasnick reported this morning (Twitter links). Though the Reds like their bullpen, GM Walt Jocketty acknowledged the team is "looking.'' The Reds have added Manny Parra since Crasnick provided this update, so it's not clear if they'll continue searching for arms.
    Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/0...Yujbs0f4AB0.99
    Sounds like Walt is still on the prowl.

In looking at this, how many "long men" do the Reds really need in the bullpen? From the previous posts, I'm seeing suggestions like Simon, Leake. I would have to include LeCure, Ondrusek, and maybe Arredondo as candidates, also. So, how many do you keep?

Turn Off Ads?