Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds sign C Miguel Olivo

Re: Reds to sign C Miguel Olivo?

Does anyone actually think that Olivio is going to be on the REDS roster and not in Louisville playing platoon with Corky?
    Even money on him or Mes in Louisville. I very much doubt Olivo would sign in Cincy without assurances he's in an open competition for a spot on the 25 man.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

Miguel Olivo to Reds?

John Heyman is tweeting that The Reds and Olivo are nearing a deal.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

I think Olivo will be the #2 and Mes will start in Louisville with daily lessons from Corky. Awesome signing in my book.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain13 View Post
    I think Olivo will be the #2 and Mes will start in Louisville with daily lessons from Corky. Awesome signing in my book.
    Last two seasons Olivo has 27 walks and 225 strikeouts. And a poor reputation as a defensive catcher. What is to like? He is atrocious at the plate and poor behind it.

A good depth signing. Unless there's an injury I think he will be in Louisville as an insurance policy.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Re: Miguel Olivo to Reds?

This year's Dioner Navarro, minus the left-handed component. Have been expecting a signing like this. As much as I love Corky, they needed an emergency veteran. Plus, Olivo has legitimate power. In the meantime, he'll presumably help develop the AAA pitchers.

Olivo is well known to be a poor defensive catcher. Not sure how much developing he will be helping the pitchers do.

9. Likes:

Bumstead (02-04-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Olivo is well known to be a poor defensive catcher. Not sure how much developing he will be helping the pitchers do.
    Well, you must acknowledge there's a difference between being good at handling pitchers and being a good defensive catcher. A catcher can call a good game and handle pitchers well and not physically be a good defensive catcher.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

11. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (02-01-2013)

Good depth signing. But I want Mesoraco in Cincinnati.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    Well, you must acknowledge there's a difference between being good at handling pitchers and being a good defensive catcher. A catcher can call a good game and handle pitchers well and not physically be a good defensive catcher.
    Then sign him to be a coach.

14. Likes:

Cursh14 (02-01-2013)

Olivo deal is being reported as a minor league deal and an invitation to spring training.

The guy hit at least 10 HRs a year in Seattle each of the past 7 seasons, it gives Mes a chance to catch everyday and learn from Corky. Power on the bench is a good thing. Young players playing everyday is a good thing. Mes teamed with Corky for a season is a great thing. Hannigan playing every day is good thing. So Olivo isn't going to throw out (m)any baserunners; I think the other things this does makes it a great signing.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain13 View Post
    The guy hit at least 10 HRs a year in Seattle each of the past 7 seasons, it gives Mes a chance to catch everyday and learn from Corky. Power on the bench is a good thing. Young players playing everyday is a good thing. Mes teamed with Corky for a season is a great thing. Hannigan playing every day is good thing. So Olivo isn't going to throw out (m)any baserunners; I think the other things this does makes it a great signing.
    Hanigan can't play every day. So every day that he can't, you probably trot out the worst catcher in MLB. Hanigan is an excellent defensive catcher. Mesoraco is an above-average one. Olivo is TERRIBLE. At the plate, Hanigan can hit. Mesoraco, even last year, was ok for a catcher. Olivo sucks at hitting.

Getting Mesoraco more playing time is nice, but at the expense of sucking some life out of your offense and hurting your pitching staff?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Olivo deal is being reported as a minor league deal and an invitation to spring training.
    https://twitter.com/Reds/status/297425025609388032

#Reds sign C Miguel Olivo to minor league contract with an invitation to Major League spring training camp.
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/0...uel-olivo.html

Olivo, 34, played for the Mariners in 2012, appearing in 87 games. The right-handed hitter posted a .222/.239/.381 batting line with 12 home rune in 323 plate appearances. He hit for more power against left-handers than right-handers last year, which isn't surprising considering his career line of .270/.303/.477 against southpaws.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Then sign him to be a coach.
    I think a lot of coaches would say that there's no substitution for in-game experience, and sometimes a catcher that can provide that sort of mentorship is invaluable.

If the guy can hit and theoretically call a good game, it probably outweighs being a poor defensive catcher.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Turn Off Ads?