Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Reds Sign LHP Manny Parra, DFA Todd Redmond

Re: Reds Sign LHP Manny Parra, DFA Todd Redmond

Going game by game through Parra's big runs scored against games. He got tagged with a lot of inherited runners scoring. (Granted he allowed the baserunners, but the other bullpen guys didn't really pick him up much)Also he tended to get whacked around in games where he pitched two innings. The Brewers defense was also bad.

I like this as a bargain signing.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Walt swooping in for a couple of nice depth signings late in the offseason. I like this move -- Parra has solid stuff, and a lefty is needed.
    Spot on.

Our last few spots in the pen (and on the bench) will be occupied by "the hot hand" I.E. even the guy who heads North out of Spring Training will have to keep performing or he may get demoted.

I like the competition these moves are likely to stir up.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Ondrusek's on a two-year contract. I'm going to guess Simon gets traded with LeCure potentially headed to AAA in April.
    Why would they ever choose Ondrusek over LeCure?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    There is no way in heck that Hoover is sent down unless he comes in out of shape and tries to think he has it made already. Option or not. Come on.
    So who goes down? Ondrusek and his two year deal? Simon who they just signed? Parra who they just signed? Masset and his $3.1 Million contract? Arredondo and his $1.4 Miillion guarantee? I hope you're right, but I'm not convinced that he won't be the odd man out. 6 Starters, Broxton, Marshall, Lecure, Simon, Ondrusek, Arredondo, Parra, Masset that's 14 guys with a claim to a spot without counting Hoover. The reds would have to be willing to do something with 3 of them for Hoover to make the team. Its why I would have non-tendered Onsdrusek and Simon.

Heck, not only should Hoover make it, but Cingrani is probably better than most of those guys as well. I know they want him to start, but if its win now, I think they are better in 2013 with Cingrani in the pen rather than Ondrusek, Arredondo, Masset, Simon or Parra. I can already hear the "sometimes it comes down to who has options" speech.

I'm happy they signed Parra though. He's one I'd keep. For me Simon, Ondrusek and Masset would be the guys I'd be looking to move. I like Arredondo better than those guys, but if they could get something for him while keeping one of the others, that would be OK as well.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

6. Likes:

LexRedsFan (02-02-2013),RedlegJake (02-02-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    So who goes down? Ondrusek and his two year deal? Simon who they just signed? Parra who they just signed? Masset and his $3.1 Million contract? Arredondo and his $1.4 Miillion guarantee? I hope you're right, but I'm not convinced that he won't be the odd man out. 6 Starters, Broxton, Marshall, Lecure, Simon, Ondrusek, Arredondo, Parra, Masset that's 14 guys with a claim to a spot without counting Hoover. The reds would have to be willing to do something with 3 of them for Hoover to make the team. Its why I would have non-tendered Onsdrusek and Simon.

Heck, not only should Hoover make it, but Cingrani is probably better than most of those guys as well. I know they want him to start, but if its win now, I think they are better in 2013 with Cingrani in the pen rather than Ondrusek, Arredondo, Masset, Simon or Parra. I can already hear the "sometimes it comes down to who has options" speech.

I'm happy they signed Parra though. He's one I'd keep. For me Simon, Ondrusek and Masset would be the guys I'd be looking to move. I like Arredondo better than those guys, but if they could get something for him while keeping one of the others, that would be OK as well.
    The likelihood is that Chapman will be in the pen to begin. He won't be a long man, what a waste of talent, he will pitch important innings even if he's not closing.

I think Simon is very llkely to stay. He's simply the innings eater. I guess Leake could play that role, but IMO Chappy is likely to begin in the pen, Leake in the rotation.

Masset missed a full season, I think he's a long shot to make the big club right away. They will want some rehab time for him.

So that means, we have a pen of Chapman, Marshall, Lecure, Simon, Broxton pretty well established.

IMO, Hoover, Arredondo, Ondrusek, Parra vie for the two remaining spots. Jose had a bad second half, Ondrusek was sent down last year, Hoover is less experienced and has options, Parra has had some poor numbers.

I think any combination of two within that group is possible to round out the pen.

The more interesting issue is what happens when Chapman goes to the rotation, which I'm guessing occurs later in the season.
    Last edited by Kc61; 02-02-2013 at 03:45 PM.

8. Likes:

Drugs Delaney (02-03-2013)

This signing-- and the possible Rolen signing-- sets up Jocketty to make either a couple of small deals this spring or one fairly large one.

Ondrusek's on a two-year contract. I'm going to guess Simon gets traded with LeCure potentially headed to AAA in April.
    LeCure is our best long man and has been pretty good the last couple of years. I also have a sweet spot for Sam now after what he did in game 1 of the nlds. IMO no way he touches AAA anytime soon unless injured.
    "Losing feels worse than winning feels good." -Vin Scully

Any reliever (aside from Broxton) should be available-- and the only reason he's not available is that he just signed a deal to stay here, and it'd be bad form to deal him before the season. (Marshall would be in the same boat, were he not dealt for something ridiculous.)

Relievers are too violatile. And the Reds have a ton of them.

That said, there are some-- Hoover, the aforementioned Marshall-- that I'd be reluctant to deal.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

There is no way in heck that Hoover is sent down unless he comes in out of shape and tries to think he has it made already. Option or not. Come on.
    I think you, and a whole lot of other people, are going to be disappointed when it happens this spring. There simply isn't room for him because he has options that other people don't.

Quote Originally Posted by DGullett35 View Post
    LeCure is our best long man and has been pretty good the last couple of years. I also have a sweet spot for Sam now after what he did in game 1 of the nlds. IMO no way he touches AAA anytime soon unless injured.
    I don't want to see it happen either, but who do you think is more likely to get optioned: LeCure making the league minimum, or Leake making millions?

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post

I am confident he will force them to keep him up with his stuff and results. Unless Parra or Simon goes all Jose Manzanillo in ST...or whatever that nut's name was.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I think you, and a whole lot of other people, are going to be disappointed when it happens this spring. There simply isn't room for him because he has options that other people don't.
    They are trying to win now.....so I expect to be happily surprised.

If they could bring Hideki Okajima in on a minor league deal I would be happy.

LeCure in AAA would make me an "unhappy" camper. I put it in quotes because I really like Sam for some reason...even before he came up big in Game 1 at San Fran. Always seems like he's there when we need him.

They are trying to win now.....so I expect to be happily surprised.
    I really hope you're right. Now is not the time to get hung up on options and contracts IMO. Put the best team in the field.

Turn Off Ads?