Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Are the Braves going to use Juan Francisco as everyday 3B?

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Are the Braves going to use Juan Francisco as everyday 3B?

Has anyone heard if the Braves plan on starting Francisco at 3B? That will be interesting to monitor if so. TIA.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Are the Braves going to use Juan Francisco as everyday 3B?

I believe he will platoon with Chris Johnson.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

I think when it's all said and done Francisco will be the backup. Johnson, although right handed, hits right handers better than left handers and hits both better than Francisco. Neither measure out well in the defensive metrics, so that's more or less a wash. Francisco's age (3 years younger than Johnson) is really the biggest thing he has going for him.

Thanks, forgot the Braves got Johnson this offseason.
    Last edited by Blitz Dorsey; 02-01-2013 at 07:21 PM.

My close friend who is a Braves fan is actually terrified that Francisco will end up getting most of the plate appearances. Johnson doesn't hit much.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Against lefty pitching, Francisco won't play, shouldn't play.

Against righty pitching, the Braves would be smart to let him play. He can hit righties well.

People ignore the huge split this guy has had in his career. He's a much better hitter against righties. The Braves are smart enough to see that, and if they do, he'll produce in that role.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    My close friend who is a Braves fan is actually terrified that Francisco will end up getting most of the plate appearances. Johnson doesn't hit much.
    Johnson might have turned the proverbial corner last year though. Not saying he's good, but I'd take him over Juan Francisco if I had to pick just one as my everyday third baseman.

The Braves did all this work over the offseason, but still have issues at 3B and SS.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Johnson might have turned the proverbial corner last year though. Not saying he's good, but I'd take him over Juan Francisco if I had to pick just one as my everyday third baseman.

The Braves did all this work over the offseason, but still have issues at 3B and SS.
    They've got the best defensive SS in the NL and he looks like a guy who can get on base.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    They've got the best defensive SS in the NL and he looks like a guy who can get on base.
    Wow, Simmons is that good? I guess I need to do more research on him.

It just goes to show how strong the Reds lineup actually is going into this year's spring training when we don't have a single weak spot we have to worry about being filled with a player like Francisco.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Wow, Simmons is that good? I guess I need to do more research on him.
    No... He means Paul Janish.

Turn Off Ads?