Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Could a NBA team make it in Kentucky?

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Re: Could a NBA team make it in Kentucky?

As things stand today, it is not even a given that the Kings are going to be moving at all. Reportedly, there is a large conglomerate with deep pockets willing to keep the franchise in Sacto. And, let's face it, Seattle is going to acquire another NBA franchise long before any other potential - and there are not many - NBA cities. In other words, don't expect a franchise in Louisville anytime soon.

Cincy isn't a realistic option - new arena or not - due to the lack of a large enough corporate luxury box infrastructure to accomodate three Major League franchises.

As an aside, I do like Joseph's out-of-the-box idea of targetting an NHL franchise, though, it's unlikely that another NHL team will relocate anytime soon. Immediate future expansion doesn't seem to be in the cards for the NBA or NHL, either.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    As things stand today, it is not even a given that the Kings are going to be moving at all. Reportedly, there is a large conglomerate with deep pockets willing to keep the franchise in Sacto. And, let's face it, Seattle is going to acquire another NBA franchise long before any other potential - and there are not many - NBA cities. In other words, don't expect a franchise in Louisville anytime soon.

Cincy isn't a realistic option - new arena or not - due to the lack of a large enough corporate luxury box infrastructure to accomodate three Major League franchises.

As an aside, I do like Joseph's out-of-the-box idea of targetting an NHL franchise, though, it's unlikely that another NHL team will relocate anytime soon. Immediate future expansion doesn't seem to be in the cards for the NBA or NHL, either.
    Then how is Denver at 2.6 million MSA (compared to Cincinnati's 2.13 million MSA) able to support five pro teams plus CU and DU sports?

Cincinnati's only very slightly smaller than Pittsburgh (2.3 million to 2.13 million) yet Pittsburgh has three pro teams plus a major college team in Pitt and a handful of smaller college teams. And the Cincinnati MSA is larger than Cleveland (3 pro teams).

And neither Denver nor Pittsburgh has an attached metro like Dayton (1 million) at its disposal either. Denver is surrounded by zero population in almost every direction except for Colorado Springs to the south.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...tistical_Areas

As much as I love the NHL, that league needs to contract teams, not add. And any future franchise relocations will surely go to Canadian cities, Seattle and/or Atlanta first.
    Last edited by Reds/Flyers Fan; 02-04-2013 at 05:13 PM.

My fault, I was referring to a severely outdated Metro list. I had no idea just how large the MSA Cincy area has grown..and how much the Cleveland MSA area has gotten smaller. And, as you mentioned, the Dayton MSA has grown and should also be factored into the equation.

The fact that Denver has supported five Major League - six, counting MLS - franchises relatively well offers hope to a market such as Cincy. But Denver has always enjoyed a large corporate infrastructure and the city is also a major tourist attraction.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    The fact that Denver has supported five Major League - six, counting MLS - franchises
    Can you name the six? I'm only counting five. (Four, really.)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    For those who bring up the Royals and the lack of interest 40+ years ago:

Cincinnati is a different city and the NBA is a different product. I would love to see it, it would give me a reason to get into basketball. I can't do college sports, it just doesn't do it for me.

If Cincinnati could've gotten, say, the Supersonics a few years ago right when they got Durant, I imagine they would've been outrageously successful here.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

You're never going to find support for public financing of a sports arena in Cincinnati again -- at least not until the voting base turns over a bit and the debacle surrounding the Paul Brown Stadium lease and sales tax fund insolvency gets a little further in the rearview mirror.

And, honestly, the US demographic shifts projected over the next 20-40 years (combined with ongoing research regarding the health risks of playing pro football) probably makes MLS soccer a better bet than the NHL or NBA anyway.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Can you name the six? I'm only counting five. (Four, really.)
    Damn. I'm really goofing up my stats in this thread, and I'm truly not that old.

Anyway, believe it or not, the Colorado Mammoth of the National Lacrosse League, which is comprised of major markets, average just about as many fans a night at the Pepsi Center as the Avalanche and the Nuggets. Plus, they averaged more per game than said teams as recently as 2008.

The city of Cincinnati is losing people, which makes it tough to claim it's an attractive destination for future sports franchises. I don't think we're talking about a Field of Dreams situation either.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

I too dont think any expansion is coming for the NHL, and I agree that if there was in the NBA and Seattle didnt have a team they would get dibbs on it. However I do see teams possibly moving around in both sports. When it comes to the NBA, one team comes to mind for me that doesnt draw well even when they are winning. And that would be the Atlanta Hawks. Heck that city has to be the worst sports town in the country.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    The city of Cincinnati is losing people, which makes it tough to claim it's an attractive destination for future sports franchises. I don't think we're talking about a Field of Dreams situation either.
    Actually, the city of Cincinnati is gaining people (or remaining stagnant, depending on how you want to cook the numbers) -- but the issue is metro area, not merely the city limits (unless you want to suggest that no one south of the river or north of Oakley would ever attend an event in downtown Cincinnati). The metro area of Cincinnati is growing nicely.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    Cincinnati's only very slightly smaller than Pittsburgh (2.3 million to 2.13 million) yet Pittsburgh has three pro teams plus a major college team in Pitt and a handful of smaller college teams. And the Cincinnati MSA is larger than Cleveland (3 pro teams).
    Should also mention Pittsburgh has an arena that could host NBA games in the CONSOL Energy Center. That being said, Pittsburgh will only back a team if it wins. The Penguins almost left before they got Sidney Crosby and their new arena while the Pirates attendance has plummeted the past two seasons after their hot starts and season ending collapses.

Cincinnati needs to have a place ready for a NBA team before even being discussed.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Unlike Cincinnati, Pittsburgh is not really perceived as a basketball city at all today. The same can be said for similarly sized (to Pittsburgh) St. Louis, despite pockets of hoops fans in both markets.

Interestingly enough, as most of you know, both Pittsburgh and St. Louis - just as Cincy and Louisville - play prominent roles in Pro B-Ball history:

The great Bob Pettit-led late 50's/early 60's St.Louis Hawks teams, who moved to Atlanta only because an agreement to play in the then-spacious St. Louis Arena - known at one time as the "Checkerdome" - couldn't be reached.

The Pittsburgh Pipers, led by Hall Of Famer Connie Hawkins, defeated the New Orleans Buccaneers - with a couple of dudes named Larry Brown and Doug Moe playing for the Bucs - to capture the first ABA crown.

And who here will ever forget the Oscar (Never) Nominated:

15. Likes:

Revering4Blue (02-05-2013),RichRed (02-19-2013)

I think if you marketed it correctly it could have at least moderate success in drawing fans from surrounding cities and regions. It would hinge on creating fanhood and making attending the game as convenient as possible (bus shuttle service etc.) for people to attend. Look at how the Reds draw from KY, IN, and WV.

It takes a long time to forge that kind of identity towards a team, but it could be done.

Winning would be key.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    I think if you marketed it correctly it could have at least moderate success in drawing fans from surrounding cities and regions. It would hinge on creating fanhood and making attending the game as convenient as possible (bus shuttle service etc.) for people to attend. Look at how the Reds draw from KY, IN, and WV.

It takes a long time to forge that kind of identity towards a team, but it could be done.

Winning would be key.
    I think it's a whole lot easier to create regional support for a baseball team than for a basketball team.

First and foremost baseball's schedule is much more conducive to drawing fans from out of town. Most of the MLB season takes place over the summer, the homestands are long and for the most part teams play two or three days in a row which makes it easy to plan a baseball-centric vacation. Additionally baseball's extensive minor league system allows teams like the Reds to have affiliates in some of the nearby cities, which helps create brand loyalty.

18. Likes:

cumberlandreds (02-14-2013)

Turn Off Ads?