• Logan Ondrusek, 2 Year Deal, $2.3 Million total Guarantee

29 39.73%
  • J.J, Hoover, Minimum, has options

38 52.05%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pick your pen

Re: Pick your pen

I'm curious why people are assuming Parra would get the LOOGY gig when Jose Arredondo was just as effective against lefties last year and has been dominant against them for his whole career. Is it just not "traditional" enough?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I'm curious why people are assuming Parra would get the LOOGY gig when Jose Arredondo was just as effective against lefties last year and has been dominant against them for his whole career. Is it just not "traditional" enough?
    Given the make-up of the pen, Arredondo is probably going to be needed to be more than just a loogy. His ability against Lefty hitters means he won't get taken out when a lefty comes up, but I doubt he'd be the guy they'd burn just to get one lefty hitter out.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

CHAPMAN will be in Cincinnati PERIOD. He will not start the season in AAA. IF he struggles in Spring Training he will be the closer. No questions ASKED.....
    Taylor High School
    Home of the "Yellow Jackets"

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    That's a good point. My concern with Arredondo is that I don't see him repeating his success. As I stated before, I'm bearish on relievers after their third season. This would only be Parra's second season exclusively as a reliever.

That said, I'd have no issue with them keeping Arredondo ahead of Parra.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

I would like to think that money won't be the motivating factor for the Reds decision here. The money is a sunk cost at this point, so you might as well put the best pitchers on the team.

The best pitchers on this list in terms of pure talent and ability to get hitters out are Hoover, Arredondo and Simon in that order. Those are the pitchers they should take north out of spring training.

The rest are depth in the minors or trade fodder. Masset is a special case because he has been injured for so long that we have no idea how well he can pitch even if he is fully recovered.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

I'd actually be looking to move Arredondo. He always seemed close to imploding whenever I saw him last year.

And Parra, with his repertoire, is actually a nice arm to have if they ever need a 6th starter. Why his MLB BB/9 is 4.6 when his MiLB is 2.6 is beyond me.
    Last edited by malcontent; 02-03-2013 at 06:06 PM.

I see Chapman, Broxton, Marshall, Lecure, and Simon as locks or near locks. I think Simon fits the long man role better than anyone else in the pen. I'm guessing Leake begins the season in the rotation.

I see the battle for two spots among Hoover, Arredondo, Parra, and Ondrusek. I don't see Masset as realistic to open in Cincy.

Arredondo had a bad second half of 2012, I don't see him as a lock. Jose could be a trade possibility, unless he has a great spring. Of the other three, I hope Hoover makes it, but he does have options, can't be sure. Guessing Hoover and Parra, with Ondrusek going to AAA as insurance.

I see the poster before me also sees Arredondo as a potential candidate to move on. We'll see soon enough.
    Last edited by Kc61; 02-03-2013 at 06:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I see Chapman, Broxton, Marshall, Lecure, and Simon as locks or near locks. I think Simon fits the long man role better than anyone else in the pen. I'm guessing Leake begins the season in the rotation.

I see the battle for two spots among Hoover, Arredondo, Parra, and Ondrusek. I don't see Masset as realistic to open in Cincy.

Arredondo had a bad second half of 2012, I don't see him as a lock. Jose could be a trade possibility, unless he has a great spring. Of the other three, I hope Hoover makes it, but he does have options, can't be sure. Guessing Hoover and Parra, with Ondrusek going to AAA as insurance.

I see the poster before me also sees Arredondo as a potential candidate to move on. We'll see soon enough.
    Agreed on Arredondo that when he does keep it together, he's holding on by a thread. Some posts have that Parra may not impress anyone in spring training.

Definitely agree that a trade may be coming & may be needed to make room for Hoover on the big league squad.
    Bring on 2018! #%?*!

Turn Off Ads?