Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Keith Law ranks Cardinals No. 1 farm system in MLB

Salukifan2

Re: Keith Law ranks Cardinals No. 1 farm system in MLB

I was hoping they would try to construct a deal for Andrus with Lynn and maybe Tyrell Jenkins. And i love martinez's stuff but he needs to throw at least 140 innings this year. And then there is Wacha, 40 k's in 20 innings speaks for itself.

And Maness is probably the most underrated prospect in the organization along with Stralin Rodriguez and Colin Walsh. Maness's fastball is about 90 gets up to 92 with a good curve and changeup, but the most tremendous thing about him is his control.

169.2 IP and only 10 BB. That's unheard of, and control is the one thing that you can project in the big leagues.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Salukifan2 View Post
    I was hoping they would try to construct a deal for Andrus with Lynn and maybe Tyrell Jenkins. And i love martinez's stuff but he needs to throw at least 140 innings this year. And then there is Wacha, 40 k's in 20 innings speaks for itself.

And Maness is probably the most underrated prospect in the organization along with Stralin Rodriguez and Colin Walsh. Maness's fastball is about 90 gets up to 92 with a good curve and changeup, but the most tremendous thing about him is his control.

169.2 IP and only 10 BB. That's unheard of, and control is the one thing that you can project in the big leagues.
    I think it would take a bit more to get Andrus. They might have to give up one of the prime prospects. The Rangers are a smart organization so I don't see them pulling a Royals bone head move anytime soon.
    “Our next home stand follows this road trip.”

“I just want to tell everyone Happy Easter and Happy Hanukkah.” says on the day before Easter

Mike Shannon

Salukifan2

After Hamilton was gone i thought a deal with those two and Jay would be enough. I don't believe Andrus is worth more than Jay, Lynn, and Jenkins. That would have given them an everyday center fielder, a 26 year old hard throwing right hander (something Ryan would love to have), and an extremely high upside 20yr old in High-A (who grew up about an hour from Dallas). Andrus plays great D but his career ops is only .695. I'd be so bold as to say that much for andrus might be an overpay.
    Last edited by Salukifan2; 02-04-2013 at 10:31 PM.

I think they would go for that deal if the Cards packaged in Matt Adams. He's probably trade bait anyway.

“I just want to tell everyone Happy Easter and Happy Hanukkah.” says on the day before Easter

Mike Shannon

Salukifan2

agree. I'm suprised the organization hasn't pushed him to lose some weight. Bball ref says he is only 230 but i don't believe that for a second. I think his size is a little concerning.

7. Likes:

MikeThierry (02-04-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Salukifan2 View Post
    agree. I'm suprised the organization hasn't pushed him to lose some weight. Bball ref says he is only 230 but i don't believe that for a second. I think his size is a little concerning.
    Well they don't call him Fat Adams for nothing

I guess the old saying is true. You can't pull fat. It's also worked for Prince Fielder and his vegan lifestyle.

Mike Shannon

The farm heading to STL will be interesting for 2014 as a good bit of payroll comes off the books.

As far as the Reds farm, I had the opportunity to see Billy Hamilton at the Carolina/ California ASG (high 'A') in June of 2012. He led off the game with a bunt single, the Cali League manager was the 3rd base coach. When Hamilton got on 1st he was clapping and laughing. My buddy & I thought how cheap of a way to start an all-star game - bunting the lead-off guy!

4 pitches later (yes I did mean 4 PITCHES!) Hamilton was high 5ing the manager because they were both at 3rd base! We said "What in the heck is this guy doing in 'A' ball? When he came up the second time I saw his achilies heel, Billy Hamilton's glove didn't work very well.

If the Reds minor league orginization can work on Hamilton's fielding, he can be a destructive weapon in 'The Show'. hope it works out for the kid, just letting you folks know to keep an eye out for his glove and it's development. his bat and base running are ready to start in CIN in 2013 IMO.

Edit:

http://www.scoutingbook.com/players/p2733

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats...pbp&pid=571740

I added the above links, also wanted to say that if he can play outfield then the error problem may become less of a factor than what it is at SS.
    Last edited by NCCardfan; 02-05-2013 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Added links to Hamilton's stats.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I am not sure why the thumbs down. That seems pretty accurate. Think about all of the talent the Reds have traded away and graduated in the last 15 months. The system isn't what is used to be, but that is to be expected given what they have done with it.
    My thoughts as well. In fact, considering the talent they have now put in the Majors, 12th is pretty damn impressive.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Here's what Law says about Taveras:

If I told those of you who are Cardinals fans that Oscar Taveras would be the next Vladimir Guerrero, you'd take that, right? I disdain player comps since they so often reflect the wrong similarities -- national origin, alma mater, sometimes even facial resemblances -- but this one fits shockingly well aside from their handedness.

Taveras, a left-handed hitter, has a furious swing with outstanding plate coverage, doesn't walk much or strike out much and, new in 2012, has plus raw power. He shortened his swing last offseason, getting his hands a little lower and tighter and creating a more direct path to the ball, but still has the same ability to go out of the zone and square up pitches most hitters could only foul off.

He has played center and right in the minors, but the corner is his more likely home. He'll have plenty of range, although he doesn't have Vlad's arm (few do). Taveras could be up this year and playing every day, with the potential for .300 averages and 30-plus homer seasons at his peak.

I'll take a Vlad type player in the outfield.

Mike Shannon

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Any idea when we can expect a Taveras call up? Seems like he's ready now.
    Choo got it, dude.

Salukifan2

If there are no injuries, september. If one of Holiday, beltran, or jay goes down then probably alot sooner.

Probably at the very latest next year when Beltran's contract is up.

Mike Shannon

Disappointing to only have 3 Reds in the top 100......
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

As much as I strongly dislike Keith Law and everything he represents as a human being, the "thumbs down" icon was not because I thought his rankings were inaccurate. I just don't like seeing our main rival (safe to call them that?) having the No. 1 farm system in all of MLB. Just like I wouldn't want to see Michigan with the best recruiting class in the country.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Heck, at this point I'm pretty happy with a number 12 ranking, given the trades the Reds made last year. The restocking seems to be going well (and Billy H doesn't hurt matters.) And from all I've heard, the Cardinals have a nice system right now.

As for Keith Law, I've got to the point that I hate it when I agree with him because he comes across as such a jerk. His dismissive replies to people on Twitter are infuriating. And yet I haven't unfollowed him.
    He's honestly not a jerk. At least not in the experiences I've had with him.

We used to run a Sunday Night Baseball liveblog every game. One night I hit him up on Twitter to stop by it, more in jest than anything. He came into the liveblog and answered whatever questions we had until we were finished. Just a good dude. Kevin Goldsstein is a jerk.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Turn Off Ads?