Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ideas

Ideas

I thought it would be fun to share some realistic and some farfetched ideas that could help this team:

• Find a way to extend Choo now before the free agency market is set and will likely drive up his price
    • When Cueto returns, send Leake to play LF. Or send him to bullpen and cut Parra.
    • Put Hannahan at 3B and move Frazier to play LF. Improves the D at the hot corner and adds a little to the offense.
    • Cut Izturis and bring up HRod. He may not be hitting very well in minors, but he is young and can gain XP in majors, as well as spot start for 3B and 2B.
    • Sit Bruce for 2 days so he can get his head out of his butt. Seemed to work out last year when he was in a slump.
    • Whenever Robinson plays, he should be in CF and Choo plays LF
    • Mesoraco should be batting somewhere other than 8 spot. He is making decent contact. I like him in 2 hole as anything is better than pop up Cozart.
    • Split Jay "K" Bruce and Frazier in the lineup. It is a momentum and inning killer when you see 2 strikeouts in a row and they are swinging at pitches in the dirt.

Again these are just fun ideas that could improve the team.
    2015 Attendance 2-1 (4/6, 4/7,4/24)
    2014 Attendance 1-3 (3/31, 4/12, 8/14)
    2013 Attendance: 6-0 (4/3, 4/16, 4/17, 8/3, 8/21, 9/7)

2. Likes:

Old school 1983 (05-09-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ideas

Find a way to extend Choo now before the free agency market is set and will likely drive up his price

--His value goes up with each at bat

When Cueto returns, send Leake to play LF. Or send him to bullpen and cut Parra.

--Mike Leake is not a fielder and won't ever be on this team, because this team is built to win not experiment

Cut Izturis and bring up HRod. He may not be hitting very well in minors, but he is young and can gain XP in majors, as well as spot start for 3B and 2B.

--How does not having a BU SS improve a team?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Find a way to extend Choo now before the free agency market is set and will likely drive up his price

--His value goes up with each at bat
    Then why not try now before it gets too high.

When Cueto returns, send Leake to play LF. Or send him to bullpen and cut Parra.

--Mike Leake is not a fielder and won't ever be on this team, because this team is built to win not experiment
    Again, just a fun idea since it has been debated that he cannot be sent down to minors without approval. Plus I wanted to poke fun at the bad production offensively in LF.

Cut Izturis and bring up HRod. He may not be hitting very well in minors, but he is young and can gain XP in majors, as well as spot start for 3B and 2B.

--How does not having a BU SS improve a team?
    Good point! I kind of forgot about that, but can't HRod play SS?
    2015 Attendance 2-1 (4/6, 4/7,4/24)
    2014 Attendance 1-3 (3/31, 4/12, 8/14)
    2013 Attendance: 6-0 (4/3, 4/16, 4/17, 8/3, 8/21, 9/7)

Quote Originally Posted by BungleBengals View Post

Again, just a fun idea since it has been debated that he cannot be sent down to minors without approval. Plus I wanted to poke fun at the bad production offensively in LF.

Good point! I kind of forgot about that, but can't HRod play SS?
    about as good as mike leake playing left field

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BungleBengals View Post

Isn't he a Boras client? His agent knows his stock is going to soar. Why would he want to do the deal now?

On the other hand, one could make a case that Choo is with a contender in a ballpark that seems custom made for his talent.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Bring back Wily Mo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

9. Likes:

bigfunguy (05-09-2013),remdog (05-09-2013)

Mike Leake is a good hitting pitcher.

Mike Leake is a terrible hitting LF.

Mike Leake would also probably be an awful fielder in LF considering it is not his training.

It's a ludicrous idea and it is reasonable to conclude it would result in nothing other than some sub replacement work from out of LF.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    Mike Leake is a good hitting pitcher.

Mike Leake is a terrible hitting LF.

Mike Leake would also probably be an awful fielder in LF considering it is not his training.

It's a ludicrous idea and it is reasonable to conclude it would result in nothing other than some sub replacement work from out of LF.
    I think Leake is a good enough athlete to be an above average left fielder and if he went to the minors and worked on his offense he could be ok. I agree he is not moving but I honestly think he could.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

ah, nm
    Last edited by WildcatFan; 05-08-2013 at 09:09 PM.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    I think Leake is a good enough athlete to be an above average left fielder and if he went to the minors and worked on his offense he could be ok. I agree he is not moving but I honestly think he could.
    So we take a pretty good starting pitcher and turn him into a LF who's ceiling is "just OK".

Talk about turning a valuable player into something quite less.

14. Likes:

jimbo (05-09-2013),RadfordVA (05-09-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    So we take a pretty good starting pitcher and turn him into a LF who's ceiling is "just OK".

Talk about turning a valuable player into something quite less.
    Not saying the Reds should do it, he is a valuable starting pitcher, I am saying that I think he could do it.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I know this is thinking outside the box and hasn't been mentioned yet. But how about trading for Giancarlo Stanton?

17. Likes:

bigfunguy (05-09-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I know this is thinking outside the box and hasn't been mentioned yet. But how about trading for Giancarlo Stanton?

Vottomatic...you have been hawking the "trade for Giancarlo" bandwagon so long if the Reds do get him I expect you to be so giddy you do cartwheels dowb your block buck nekkid!!

How about this for a SMALL suggestion while Hanigan recovers---only catch Miller with Leake...Miller hits like a pitcher, so when he's in there you essentially have 2 outs at the bottom. Using him with Leake youre not quite so anemic at the bottom

20. Likes:

dfs (05-09-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by bigfunguy View Post
    How about this for a SMALL suggestion while Hanigan recovers---only catch Miller with Leake...Miller hits like a pitcher, so when he's in there you essentially have 2 outs at the bottom. Using him with Leake youre not quite so anemic at the bottom
    I would imagine we see Hanigan back with the Reds on Friday and in the lineup on Saturday.

Turn Off Ads?