Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 81

Thread: A's acquire Jed Lowrie from Astros

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    All Fired Up Revering4Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    NE Indiana
    Posts
    1,504

    A's acquire Jed Lowrie from Astros

    Athletics acquired SS Jed Lowrie and RHP Fernando Rodriguez from the Astros in exchange for 1B Chris Carter, RHP Brad Peacock and C Max Stassi.

    Lowrie's power production could take a real hit playing half his games in O.co Coliseum, but this is a solid win-now move by the A's. Hiroyuki Nakajima is expected to remain the starter at shortstop, which means Lowrie should get most of his playing time at second base, but he's expected to see time at other infield spots, as well. Meanwhile, Astros general manager Jeff Luhnow has further stocked his farm system with some nice pieces. Feb 4 - 6:01 PM
    http://www.rotoworld.com/player/mlb/4212/jed-lowrie
    "I have just been more than a little suspect of all the trades since the Willy (Scott Williamson) cash grab. That one left such a bad taste in my mouth that even a 1985 Dom Pérignon couldn't cleanse it." -- Creek14

  2. #2
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,724

    Re: A's acquire Jed Lowrie from Astros

    Good deal for the Astros.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

  3. #3
    Member Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,690
    Relegate the Astros. They aren't a major league franchise. If you can't be bothered to field a major league product, you shouldn't get to be a major league team.
    They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    He has also taught me that even when the Reds win it is important to focus on the fact that they could have lost.

  4. Likes:

    cumberlandreds (02-05-2013), LexRedsFan (02-05-2013), M2 (02-04-2013), REDREAD (02-05-2013), Slyder (02-05-2013), Superdude (02-04-2013), Tommyjohn25 (02-04-2013), traderumor (02-05-2013)

  5. #4
    Arbiter of Good Taste OGB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,127

    Re: A's acquire Jed Lowrie from Astros

    I like the trade from the stros side, but when you consider how awful they were last year after they started disbanding that team, you have to think they might be historically bad this year.
    I may not be fast, but I sure am slow.

  6. #5
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    8,227

    Re: A's acquire Jed Lowrie from Astros

    Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Relegate the Astros. They aren't a major league franchise. If you can't be bothered to field a major league product, you shouldn't get to be a major league team.
    Say what you will about the Astros, and they are admittedly going to be awful, but they're making VERY good moves the past year or so. They're extremely young, but with solid upside at several key positions. They'll be horrific for a few years, but the return on the trades should see solid dividends.

    This is pretty much what the Reds should've done a long time ago. Instead of actually "blowing it up" they made half measures and diddled around the edges. So they ended up with a crappy MLB team and a crappy farm system. Yea!
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

  7. Likes:

    Revering4Blue (02-05-2013)

  8. #6
    Who, What, Where, When? Tornon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    4,560

    Re: A's acquire Jed Lowrie from Astros

    The Astros know what they're doing now.. they could be scary in a few years

  9. #7
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,605

    Re: A's acquire Jed Lowrie from Astros

    Quote Originally Posted by Tornon View Post
    The Astros know what they're doing now.. they could be scary in a few years
    The Astros are a shambles. There are those that just love a good "blow it up," and perhaps in some markets that can make a little more sense than doing it in a St. Louis type market. There is a lot of money to be made in Houston, yet the Astros seem content to play poor man's baseball. I think they are setting their franchise back for the entire decade, not just a few years.
    Can't win with 'em

    Can't win without 'em

  10. #8
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    8,227

    Re: A's acquire Jed Lowrie from Astros

    Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    The Astros are a shambles. There are those that just love a good "blow it up," and perhaps in some markets that can make a little more sense than doing it in a St. Louis type market. There is a lot of money to be made in Houston, yet the Astros seem content to play poor man's baseball. I think they are setting their franchise back for the entire decade, not just a few years.
    Simply put, they really didn't have much of a choice. Their farm system was bare and the MLB club was horrid. Look at their farm system now. Well above average if not top 5 or 10. Keep drafting like they have the past 2 seasons and they'll be back.

    Now granted, this is Keith Law, so take this with a big grain of salt....but his farm system rankings...
    1. St. Louis Cardinals
    2. Minnesota Twins
    3. Tampa Bay Rays
    4. Houston Astros
    5. Chicago Cubs
    6. San Diego Padres
    7. Pittsburgh Pirates
    8. Seattle Mariners
    9. Texas Rangers
    10. New York Yankees

    Just a year ago they were around 29 or 30. ~edit~ I stand corrected, 27.

    27. Houston Astros

    The Astros might have been last if they hadn't traded Hunter Pence or Michael Bourn in July. Even though neither haul was that great, the prospects represented a major infusion into a barren system.
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 02-05-2013 at 09:45 AM.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

  11. #9
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 513
    Posts
    12,624

    Re: A's acquire Jed Lowrie from Astros

    Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    The Astros are a shambles. There are those that just love a good "blow it up," and perhaps in some markets that can make a little more sense than doing it in a St. Louis type market. There is a lot of money to be made in Houston, yet the Astros seem content to play poor man's baseball. I think they are setting their franchise back for the entire decade, not just a few years.
    Houston is the 5th largest metro area in the United States (ahead of places like Washington DC, Atlanta, Miami and Boston) with a population of over 6 million. They (unlike New York, Chicago and LA -- 3 of the 4 cities ahead of them on that list) have no competition in their market from other ballclubs and a new-ish indoor facility at their disposal.

    There's absolutely no reason why this franchise should be spending less than $90-$100 million on payroll annually. The idea that "we're rebuilding" is an excuse to drop payroll to the sub-$30m level is, frankly, a joke. You can engage in player development, smart drafting and smart trading while still paying some FAs to put a competitive ballclub on the field.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

  12. Likes:

    REDREAD (02-06-2013)

  13. #10
    .377 in 1905 CySeymour's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Carmel, IN
    Posts
    2,125

    Re: A's acquire Jed Lowrie from Astros

    Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    There's absolutely no reason why this franchise should be spending less than $90-$100 million on payroll annually. The idea that "we're rebuilding" is an excuse to drop payroll to the sub-$30m level is, frankly, a joke. You can engage in player development, smart drafting and smart trading while still paying some FAs to put a competitive ballclub on the field.
    Again, who do you want them to spend that much money on? That team's farm system was a mess, so signing free agents and losing draft picks makes zero sense. And their higher priced vets had reached the point where they were way past their prime.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

  14. Likes:

    _Sir_Charles_ (02-05-2013)

  15. #11
    Member Superdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,779

    Re: A's acquire Jed Lowrie from Astros

    Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    Again, who do you want them to spend that much money on? That team's farm system was a mess, so signing free agents and losing draft picks makes zero sense. And their higher priced vets had reached the point where they were way past their prime.
    It's not asking much to at least try and win more than 34% of your games. The build and burn mentality's a little cheap for a team that has plenty of resources to develop without embarrassing themselves in the process.

  16. Likes:

    traderumor (02-05-2013)

  17. #12
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 513
    Posts
    12,624

    Re: A's acquire Jed Lowrie from Astros

    Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    Again, who do you want them to spend that much money on? That team's farm system was a mess, so signing free agents and losing draft picks makes zero sense. And their higher priced vets had reached the point where they were way past their prime.
    Then don't sign a Type A free agent -- there were loads of other FAs that wouldn't require giving up a draft pick that would at least make the team more competitive while they rebuild.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

  18. #13
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    28,160

    Re: A's acquire Jed Lowrie from Astros

    Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Houston is the 5th largest metro area in the United States (ahead of places like Washington DC, Atlanta, Miami and Boston) with a population of over 6 million. They (unlike New York, Chicago and LA -- 3 of the 4 cities ahead of them on that list) have no competition in their market from other ballclubs and a new-ish indoor facility at their disposal.

    There's absolutely no reason why this franchise should be spending less than $90-$100 million on payroll annually. The idea that "we're rebuilding" is an excuse to drop payroll to the sub-$30m level is, frankly, a joke. You can engage in player development, smart drafting and smart trading while still paying some FAs to put a competitive ballclub on the field.
    Good points. Just look what happened in Philly once it decided to stop acting like a small market franchise.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

    I'm witchcrafting everybody.

  19. #14
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,605

    Re: A's acquire Jed Lowrie from Astros

    Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Good points. Just look what happened in Philly once it decided to stop acting like a small market franchise.
    And got rid of Ed Wade, who then proceeded to take the Houston franchise to a period of futility. He's the gift that keeps on giving.
    Can't win with 'em

    Can't win without 'em

  20. Likes:

    Revering4Blue (02-06-2013)

  21. #15
    Member Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,690
    Quote Originally Posted by Tornon View Post
    The Astros know what they're doing now.. they could be scary in a few years
    I understand the argument to be made for this, but to me this sounds like last winter when there were those who said the Reds could learn from the Marlins or Pirates.

    Bad teams should be looking to add talent to their roster, not ditch all of it for prospects. Certainly there are times when you want to fill out your system with talented prospects. But you can't trade ALL of your major league players for prospects.
    They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    He has also taught me that even when the Reds win it is important to focus on the fact that they could have lost.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25