Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 81

Thread: A's acquire Jed Lowrie from Astros

  1. #31
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.
    Posts
    10,683

    Re: A's acquire Jed Lowrie from Astros

    Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Bad teams should be looking to add talent to their roster, not ditch all of it for prospects. Certainly there are times when you want to fill out your system with talented prospects. But you can't trade ALL of your major league players for prospects.
    The Astros likely added more talent to their roster than they gave up.

    Lowrie was more established to be sure, but he's not the answer going forward.

    Better to cash that chip while he still had some value.

  2. Likes:

    Todd Gack (02-05-2013), Tom Servo (02-05-2013)

  3. Turn Off Ads?
  4. #32
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    8,384

    Re: A's acquire Jed Lowrie from Astros

    Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    The way the draft and international signings are cost-controlled now, there's only so much he can spend. They won't be getting extra picks for top tier free agents (they don't have that kind of talent on the roster), and so far they have not been reported as contenders for the free agents whose contracts would be exempt from the international signings cap (such as older Cuban guys). Time will tell, but it appears their only hope is to do what the Rays did -- lose like crazy for a few years and gather excellent talent at the top of the draft. The draft being something of a crapshoot, it may not work out for them. I'm not saying their approach is flawed -- I'm saying it carries risk (several consecutive seasons of 90+ losses can dim that optimism right quick and make fans hard to bring back, even when their minor league starts to surface).
    True, I phrased that poorly. He's focusing his attention on the farm system. He's dealing any and all assets to refill the farm. He's not dealing to fill the Astros roster with cheap alternatives. The priority isn't to save money, it's to fill the farm with talent. So if you look at the MLB roster, it looks like they're an absolute shambles...dig deeper. The talent infusion they've taken on in the past year and a half is quite impressive.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

  5. #33
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,502

    Re: A's acquire Jed Lowrie from Astros

    http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/ey...r-brad-peacock

    Turns out that Brad Peacock had already started his 32 hour drive to Arizona for ST when he got the call that he had been traded to Houston. Who has their ST in Florida. Fortunately, he was only about 8 hours into his drive and was able to turn around to drive to Florida..... only about 2.5 hours from where he lives, for Astros ST.

  6. #34
    Member Superdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,795

    Re: A's acquire Jed Lowrie from Astros

    Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    Again, who do you want them to spend that much money on? That team's farm system was a mess, so signing free agents and losing draft picks makes zero sense. And their higher priced vets had reached the point where they were way past their prime.
    It's not asking much to at least try and win more than 34% of your games. The build and burn mentality's a little cheap for a team that has plenty of resources to develop without embarrassing themselves in the process.

  7. Likes:

    traderumor (02-05-2013)

  8. #35
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    872

    Re: A's acquire Jed Lowrie from Astros

    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    The moved Lowrie at the exact right time, IMO.
    I agree. But they didn't really didn't get much for him. None of the guys they got will ever be much more the roster fillers. Smart to trade him, but I think they could have done a lot better.

  9. #36
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 513
    Posts
    12,646

    Re: A's acquire Jed Lowrie from Astros

    Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    Again, who do you want them to spend that much money on? That team's farm system was a mess, so signing free agents and losing draft picks makes zero sense. And their higher priced vets had reached the point where they were way past their prime.
    Then don't sign a Type A free agent -- there were loads of other FAs that wouldn't require giving up a draft pick that would at least make the team more competitive while they rebuild.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

  10. #37
    All Fired Up Revering4Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    NE Indiana
    Posts
    1,504

    Re: A's acquire Jed Lowrie from Astros

    Quote Originally Posted by JayStubbs View Post
    I agree. But they didn't really didn't get much for him. None of the guys they got will ever be much more the roster fillers. Smart to trade him, but I think they could have done a lot better.
    I dunno.

    Carter could well hit 30 dingers playing in Minute Maid. Plus, if Carlos Pena rebounds with a big year - a big if, I know - Pena could be then dealt for more assets, while Carter and Wallace - alternating as DH -keep first base warm for Singleton and Freiman, though Singleton could move to the OF.

    Peacock, even though he didn't have a good 2012 season, was still the top ranked A's pitching prospect, and should at least pan out as a solid pen arm.

    Stassi was the top rated A's catching prospect.

    That sounds like a good haul to me.

    The wild card in this deal is Rodriguez, who stands to benefit greatly from a move to a pitcher's park.
    "I have just been more than a little suspect of all the trades since the Willy (Scott Williamson) cash grab. That one left such a bad taste in my mouth that even a 1985 Dom Pérignon couldn't cleanse it." -- Creek14

  11. #38
    .377 in 1905 CySeymour's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Carmel, IN
    Posts
    2,240

    Re: A's acquire Jed Lowrie from Astros

    Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Then don't sign a Type A free agent -- there were loads of other FAs that wouldn't require giving up a draft pick that would at least make the team more competitive while they rebuild.
    And use money that would be better of spent in player development? No thanks.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

  12. #39
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    872

    Re: A's acquire Jed Lowrie from Astros

    Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    I dunno.

    Carter could well hit 30 dingers playing in Minute Maid. Plus, if Carlos Pena rebounds with a big year - a big if, I know - Pena could be then dealt for more assets, while Carter and Wallace - alternating as DH -keep first base warm for Singleton and Freiman, though Singleton could move to the OF.

    Peacock, even though he didn't have a good 2012 season, was still the top ranked A's pitching prospect, and should at least pan out as a solid pen arm.

    Stassi was the top rated A's catching prospect.

    That sounds like a good haul to me.

    The wild card in this deal is Rodriguez, who stands to benefit greatly from a move to a pitcher's park.
    For me, a DH, a relief pitcher and a backup catcher are all roster filler. These pieces can be picked up rather cheaply off the waiver wire these days.

  13. #40
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 513
    Posts
    12,646

    Re: A's acquire Jed Lowrie from Astros

    Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    And use money that would be better of spent in player development? No thanks.
    Seriously?

    Here are the payrolls for the franchises that play in other similarly-sized markets to Houston (from 2012):

    1. New York (Yankees: 198 / Mets: 93)
    2. Los Angeles (Angels: 154 / Dodgers: 95)
    3. Chicago (White Sox: 96 / Cubs 88)
    4. Texas Rangers: 120
    5. Houston: Projected 2013 25 million
    6. Philadelphia: 174
    7. Washington DC: 81

    You're seriously suggesting that Houston is going to dump ~$60-$70m (the amount it would take to bring them into the same universe as their fellow large-market mates) into PLAYER DEVELOPMENT?

    To do what? Train all their A prospects on solid gold weight benches?

    Every other team on that list is running minor league systems, drafting players, making international signings, paying coaches/instructors, etc. in addition to paying out their ML payroll. To suggest that the Astros can't afford to sign enough players to field a competitive, non-100 loss team while building a farm system is ludicrous.

    This is exactly why other sports have salary floors or a relegation/promotion system -- because the Astros are jobbing their fans and upsetting the competitive balance of the league (think the AL West won't be a heavy favorite to send 3 teams to the post-season with this whipping boy in their back pocket all year?) by just being cheap.

    And, to make it more insulting, they're doing it in a market that should afford them the resources to be competitive AND building for the future at the same time.
    Last edited by Caveat Emperor; 02-05-2013 at 03:02 PM.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

  14. Likes:

    REDREAD (02-06-2013), traderumor (02-05-2013)

  15. #41
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    8,384

    Re: A's acquire Jed Lowrie from Astros

    Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Seriously?

    Here are the payrolls for the franchises that play in other similarly-sized markets to Houston (from 2012):

    1. New York (Yankees: 198 / Mets: 93)
    2. Los Angeles (Angels: 154 / Dodgers: 95)
    3. Chicago (White Sox: 96 / Cubs 88)
    4. Texas Rangers: 120
    5. Houston: Projected 2013 25 million
    6. Philadelphia: 174
    7. Washington DC: 81

    You're seriously suggesting that Houston is going to dump ~$60-$70m (the amount it would take to bring them into the same universe as their fellow large-market mates) into PLAYER DEVELOPMENT?

    To do what? Train all their A prospects on solid gold weight benches?

    Every other team on that list is running minor league systems, drafting players, making international signings, paying coaches/instructors, etc. in addition to paying out their ML payroll. To suggest that the Astros can't afford to sign enough players to field a competitive, non-100 loss team while building a farm system is ludicrous.

    This is exactly why other sports have salary floors or a relegation/promotion system -- because the Astros are jobbing their fans and upsetting the competitive balance of the league (think the AL West won't be a heavy favorite to send 3 teams to the post-season with this whipping boy in their back pocket all year?) by just being cheap.

    And, to make it more insulting, they're doing it in a market that should afford them the resources to be competitive AND building for the future at the same time.
    So you're thinking they should dive into the FA market to make the MLB team competitive right now, correct?

    Bobby Abreu
    Rod Barajas
    Jason Bartlett
    Michael Bourn
    Dallas Braden
    Miguel Cairo
    Jose Contreras
    Todd Coffey
    Francisco Cordero
    Johnny Damon
    Chone Figgins
    Jason Giambi
    Kevin Gregg
    Willie Harris
    Livan Hernandez
    Orlando Hudson
    Aubrey Huff
    Brandon Inge
    Jason Isringhausen
    Bobby Jenks
    Adam Kennedy
    Casey Kotchman
    Carlos Lee
    Kyle Loshe
    Derek Lowe
    Mark Lowe
    Brandon Lyon
    Daisuke Matsuzaka
    Dustin Mosely
    Guillermo Mota
    Jaime Moyer
    Will Ohman
    Roy Oswalt
    Carl Pavano
    Brad Penny
    Rafael Perez
    Scott Podsednik
    Jon Rauch
    Francisco Rodriguez
    Scott Rolen
    J.C. Romero
    Freddy Sanchez
    Jonathan Sanchez
    Joe Saunders
    Grady Sizemore
    Brandon Snyder
    Ryan Theriot
    Jim Thome
    Matt Treanor
    Jose Valverde
    Chien-Ming Wang
    Kip Wells
    Brian Wilson
    Randy Wolf
    Chris Young
    Carlos Zambrano

    That's who's left. Outside of Michael Bourn and maybe Kyle Loshe, where are the impact players who make that team even remotely respectable? Most of the guys on that list are 1 step away from retirement, injured/coming off injuries, or just plain BAD. There's VERY little talent in the FA market IMO. IMHO, the Astros are better off letting their young players sink or swim at this point.

    I certainly don't think they should be dealing the newly acquired talent in the farm to get MLB players so they can tread water.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

  16. #42
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,670

    Re: A's acquire Jed Lowrie from Astros

    Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    So you're thinking they should dive into the FA market to make the MLB team competitive right now, correct?

    Bobby Abreu
    Rod Barajas
    Jason Bartlett
    Michael Bourn
    Dallas Braden
    Miguel Cairo
    Jose Contreras
    Todd Coffey
    Francisco Cordero
    Johnny Damon
    Chone Figgins
    Jason Giambi
    Kevin Gregg
    Willie Harris
    Livan Hernandez
    Orlando Hudson
    Aubrey Huff
    Brandon Inge
    Jason Isringhausen
    Bobby Jenks
    Adam Kennedy
    Casey Kotchman
    Carlos Lee
    Kyle Loshe
    Derek Lowe
    Mark Lowe
    Brandon Lyon
    Daisuke Matsuzaka
    Dustin Mosely
    Guillermo Mota
    Jaime Moyer
    Will Ohman
    Roy Oswalt
    Carl Pavano
    Brad Penny
    Rafael Perez
    Scott Podsednik
    Jon Rauch
    Francisco Rodriguez
    Scott Rolen
    J.C. Romero
    Freddy Sanchez
    Jonathan Sanchez
    Joe Saunders
    Grady Sizemore
    Brandon Snyder
    Ryan Theriot
    Jim Thome
    Matt Treanor
    Jose Valverde
    Chien-Ming Wang
    Kip Wells
    Brian Wilson
    Randy Wolf
    Chris Young
    Carlos Zambrano

    That's who's left. Outside of Michael Bourn and maybe Kyle Loshe, where are the impact players who make that team even remotely respectable? Most of the guys on that list are 1 step away from retirement, injured/coming off injuries, or just plain BAD. There's VERY little talent in the FA market IMO. IMHO, the Astros are better off letting their young players sink or swim at this point.

    I certainly don't think they should be dealing the newly acquired talent in the farm to get MLB players so they can tread water.
    I'm sure CE is with me in seeing the Astros deconstruct the entire organization to "restock" is being overplayed, especially in year 2. Right now, all they look like is the fantasy team owner in your league that acts like he knows what he's doing but that everyone else in the league jobs on trades. It also assumes that they are smarter than everyone else to be right on their prospect picks. By the time they start to see fruit, they may be 2 more GMs down the road.
    Can't win with 'em

    Can't win without 'em

  17. #43
    .377 in 1905 CySeymour's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Carmel, IN
    Posts
    2,240

    Re: A's acquire Jed Lowrie from Astros

    Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Seriously?

    Here are the payrolls for the franchises that play in other similarly-sized markets to Houston (from 2012):

    1. New York (Yankees: 198 / Mets: 93)
    2. Los Angeles (Angels: 154 / Dodgers: 95)
    3. Chicago (White Sox: 96 / Cubs 88)
    4. Texas Rangers: 120
    5. Houston: Projected 2013 25 million
    6. Philadelphia: 174
    7. Washington DC: 81

    You're seriously suggesting that Houston is going to dump ~$60-$70m (the amount it would take to bring them into the same universe as their fellow large-market mates) into PLAYER DEVELOPMENT?

    To do what? Train all their A prospects on solid gold weight benches?

    Every other team on that list is running minor league systems, drafting players, making international signings, paying coaches/instructors, etc. in addition to paying out their ML payroll. To suggest that the Astros can't afford to sign enough players to field a competitive, non-100 loss team while building a farm system is ludicrous.

    This is exactly why other sports have salary floors or a relegation/promotion system -- because the Astros are jobbing their fans and upsetting the competitive balance of the league (think the AL West won't be a heavy favorite to send 3 teams to the post-season with this whipping boy in their back pocket all year?) by just being cheap.

    And, to make it more insulting, they're doing it in a market that should afford them the resources to be competitive AND building for the future at the same time.
    No, I am more so saying that by buying mid-level free agents, and as far as they've fallen they would have had to get a lot of them, they wouldn't have been contenders anyway. So instead of essentially wasting the resources, use them instead to build up your farm system and once those players prove themselves at the big league level, then use the cash to sign them.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

  18. Likes:

    Revering4Blue (02-05-2013)

  19. #44
    All Fired Up Revering4Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    NE Indiana
    Posts
    1,504

    Re: A's acquire Jed Lowrie from Astros

    Quote Originally Posted by JayStubbs View Post
    For me, a DH, a relief pitcher and a backup catcher are all roster filler. These pieces can be picked up rather cheaply off the waiver wire these days.
    IMHO, judging by the list of remaining free agents - excluding, of course, Bourn and Loshe - none offer the upside of the aforementioned acquisitions.

    In a rebuilding situation,as opposed to reloading, you have to be thinking upside/long-term.
    "I have just been more than a little suspect of all the trades since the Willy (Scott Williamson) cash grab. That one left such a bad taste in my mouth that even a 1985 Dom Pérignon couldn't cleanse it." -- Creek14

  20. #45
    Vavasor TRF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    13,504

    Re: A's acquire Jed Lowrie from Astros

    Lohse, Oswalt and Bourne. 1 year for Oswalt, Lohse 4 and Bourne 4.

    That'd up the payroll to about 48 mil. It'd solidify two rotaion spots for a year, allowing the farm to mature and gives the Astros a legit CF and leadoff hitter.

    Carter will make a good DH. give him 400+ AB's he'll hit 30+ HR's in that bandbox.

    It wouldn't make them contenders. It will bridge the gap to when their farm is ready to produce major league talent.
    Suck it up cupcake.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25