Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A's acquire Jed Lowrie from Astros

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

A's acquire Jed Lowrie from Astros

Athletics acquired SS Jed Lowrie and RHP Fernando Rodriguez from the Astros in exchange for 1B Chris Carter, RHP Brad Peacock and C Max Stassi.

Lowrie's power production could take a real hit playing half his games in O.co Coliseum, but this is a solid win-now move by the A's. Hiroyuki Nakajima is expected to remain the starter at shortstop, which means Lowrie should get most of his playing time at second base, but he's expected to see time at other infield spots, as well. Meanwhile, Astros general manager Jeff Luhnow has further stocked his farm system with some nice pieces. Feb 4 - 6:01 PM
    http://www.rotoworld.com/player/mlb/4212/jed-lowrie
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: A's acquire Jed Lowrie from Astros

Good deal for the Astros.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Relegate the Astros. They aren't a major league franchise. If you can't be bothered to field a major league product, you shouldn't get to be a major league team.

5. Likes:

cumberlandreds (02-05-2013),LexRedsFan (02-05-2013),M2 (02-04-2013),REDREAD (02-05-2013),Slyder (02-05-2013),Superdude (02-04-2013),Tommyjohn25 (02-04-2013),traderumor (02-05-2013)

I like the trade from the stros side, but when you consider how awful they were last year after they started disbanding that team, you have to think they might be historically bad this year.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

The Astros know what they're doing now.. they could be scary in a few years

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tornon View Post
    The Astros know what they're doing now.. they could be scary in a few years
    I understand the argument to be made for this, but to me this sounds like last winter when there were those who said the Reds could learn from the Marlins or Pirates.

Bad teams should be looking to add talent to their roster, not ditch all of it for prospects. Certainly there are times when you want to fill out your system with talented prospects. But you can't trade ALL of your major league players for prospects.

Lowrie just can't stay on the field, he's down to 2 years left of team control having spent more of his career on the DL than on an active roster, they almost had to take the opportunity to get something decent for him, because they may not get another chance before he ends up back on the DL or hits free agency.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

10. Likes:

mth123 (02-04-2013),RedEye (02-05-2013),Revering4Blue (02-04-2013),Spitball (02-04-2013),Tom Servo (02-04-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I understand the argument to be made for this, but to me this sounds like last winter when there were those who said the Reds could learn from the Marlins or Pirates.

Bad teams should be looking to add talent to their roster, not ditch all of it for prospects. Certainly there are times when you want to fill out your system with talented prospects. But you can't trade ALL of your major league players for prospects.
    I'm not sure if it would be feasible for them to be able to add enough major league talent to be competitive this year. If they had tried hard enough, they may have been able to get the right players to squeak out a mediocre team. I think they'd rather just trust in their scouting department.. possibly getting another #1 overall pick in next year's draft (we see what the Nationals did with that 5 years ago) and trusting their scouting department knows what it's doing while they wait for Carlos Correia to develop

Billy Beane knows better than to put all his eggs in the basket of a Japanese SS (because, as Rocket T. Squirrel reminds us, that trick never works).
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

So I guess Oakland is really down on Jemile Weeks.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    So I guess Oakland is really down on Jemile Weeks.
    I doubt this has anything to do with Weeks. Rotoworld's pulling the 2B speculation out of its butt. He could be SS or 3B just as easily.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

One somewhat surprising aspect of this trade to me is that the Astros had sent Lowrie barnstorming around Texas on their version of a winter Caravan. (He made an appearance here in San Antonio about 10 days ago.) That gave me the impression that this was a guy they wanted fans to come to the Ballpark and see this season. Guess not.
    /r/reds

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

The moved Lowrie at the exact right time, IMO.

I was about to be happy that a hapless division opponent was getting more hapless, then I remembered.

Gonna be strange seeing them in the AL.

Lowrie's awful brittle, and the power he showed in Houston will obviously be defused some in Oakland. Not sure this trade will have much of an impact either way. One or two of the players may surprise, but unless Lowrie shines it's a depth move for both teams, IMO.

Turn Off Ads?