Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: A's acquire Jed Lowrie from Astros

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Re: A's acquire Jed Lowrie from Astros

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I'm sure CE is with me in seeing the Astros deconstruct the entire organization to "restock" is being overplayed, especially in year 2. Right now, all they look like is the fantasy team owner in your league that acts like he knows what he's doing but that everyone else in the league jobs on trades. It also assumes that they are smarter than everyone else to be right on their prospect picks. By the time they start to see fruit, they may be 2 more GMs down the road.
    Fair point. But can you honestly say that they've made a bad trade in the past year or 2? Especially when you consider that some of the players were on record saying they weren't going to re-sign there? (Bourn, Lee & Pence IIRC). Nearly all the deals they've made in the past 2 years have netted them quantity AND quality. If you look at their top 20 prospects...outside of the 2 or 3 drafted these past 2 years, nearly all of them have come via these trades. If those MLB players weren't going to make you a winner AND they weren't willing to re-sign...then holding onto them is kinda stupid.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    No, I am more so saying that by buying mid-level free agents, and as far as they've fallen they would have had to get a lot of them, they wouldn't have been contenders anyway. So instead of essentially wasting the resources, use them instead to build up your farm system and once those players prove themselves at the big league level, then use the cash to sign them.
    If this was happening in someone's basement on Dynasty Mode, I'd agree with every move. Not so much in real life. It's not about them contending next year, it's about trying to avoid fielding an absolute disgrace of a ballclub.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Lohse, Oswalt and Bourne. 1 year for Oswalt, Lohse 4 and Bourne 4.

That'd up the payroll to about 48 mil. It'd solidify two rotaion spots for a year, allowing the farm to mature and gives the Astros a legit CF and leadoff hitter.

Carter will make a good DH. give him 400+ AB's he'll hit 30+ HR's in that bandbox.

It wouldn't make them contenders. It will bridge the gap to when their farm is ready to produce major league talent.
    Now, this I can go along with, as it still represents a long-term view without taking a half - baked approach to rebuilding -i.e: the potential goal of long - term sustained contention takes a back seat to placating the casual fan.
    Last edited by Revering4Blue; 02-05-2013 at 04:42 PM.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Lohse, Oswalt and Bourne. 1 year for Oswalt, Lohse 4 and Bourne 4.

That'd up the payroll to about 48 mil. It'd solidify two rotaion spots for a year, allowing the farm to mature and gives the Astros a legit CF and leadoff hitter.

Carter will make a good DH. give him 400+ AB's he'll hit 30+ HR's in that bandbox.

It wouldn't make them contenders. It will bridge the gap to when their farm is ready to produce major league talent.
    But here's the problem. Both Oswalt and Bourn want nothing to do with the Astros. They kinda burnt bridges there...whether it was management's end or their end, not sure. But I don't think EITHER guy wants to come back. (at least that's the way it's portrayed around the media here) Loshe...personally I don't see him repeating last year, but even if he did, it's not going to turn that team into a respectable club. If you look at what they have right now, they've got some solid young up-side players who'll be on the big club this year. The holes they've got (and there are a bunch) I can't see them filling them via FA. And I can't see them wanting to fill them by trading off the young solid prospects they've gathered.

They've got a few guys who could fill out that rotation. They signed Erik Bedard to a ML deal. They picked up Phillip Humber too. Along with Norris, Lyles and Harrell...it's not atrocious if things go their way. Jarred Cosart will probably be up this season and he looks solid. Brad Peacock could make the jump too. Oberholtzer looks pretty good from what I've seen as well.

Dominguez, Altuve & Wallace could be moderately productive. Castro's still got solid upside at C if he can stay healthy.

The biggest hole is the outfield. Maxwell and the 2 Martinez's are 3 black holes IMO. They signed Rick Ankiel...they could hope he turns it around I guess. Springer and Santana are their best OF prospects but neither are ready for the bigs (especially Santana). So if they were to go after any FA's, the OF is the spot that needs to be addressed the most.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    If this was happening in someone's basement on Dynasty Mode, I'd agree with every move. Not so much in real life. It's not about them contending next year, it's about trying to avoid fielding an absolute disgrace of a ballclub.
    I get the integrity angle, but compared with what's currently going on in Florida with the Marlins, I don't believe that lack of integrity applies here.

The Marlins brass decided to throw in the proverbial towel when a total rebuild, much less a reloading, wasn't in order. And, you can also argue that the Marlins brass didn't even cash in their chips at the right time, whereas, IMHO, the Astros have seemingly done so for the past two years. That, to me, is the crux of my argument.

Now, if for some reason, the Astros are in contention at the All Star Break, Luhnow owes it to the fans to cash in some of the prospects for a realistic shot a Playoff berth. If said situation occurs without Luhnow acting accordingly, then the integrity question comes into play.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

It isn't about improving this year that much. It's more about laying a foundation, allowing the youth to mature and not being historically horrible. This is Houston's projected rotation...

B. Norris
    L. Harrell
    J. Lyles
    P. Humber
    E. Bedard

just... wow.

Justin Maxwell is 29, has never been a starter and has 534 AB's in the major leagues. He's the projected starting CF. Fernando Martinez is mildly interesting in RF, JD Martinez is not in LF.

This team is a major league mess, and with three signings I would improve 2/5's of the rotation and CF. I'd move Ankiel to RF, F Martinez to LF and drop kick JD Martinez off the roster.

Oh, I'd also likely go get Jon Rauch and Todd Coffey. Rodriguez as your main setup man? blech.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

The biggest hole is the outfield. Maxwell and the 2 Martinez's are 3 black holes IMO. They signed Rick Ankiel...they could hope he turns it around I guess. Springer and Santana are their best OF prospects but neither are ready for the bigs (especially Santana). So if they were to go after any FA's, the OF is the spot that needs to be addressed the most.
    On that front, I'm kind of surprised that they didn't make a play for Delmon Young. Than again, they may have figured that Young would be a negative influence on the youngsters, which is certainly understandable.

It isn't about improving this year that much. It's more about laying a foundation, allowing the youth to mature and not being historically horrible. This is Houston's projected rotation...

B. Norris
    L. Harrell
    J. Lyles
    P. Humber
    E. Bedard

just... wow.
    Norris and Harrell both had solid seasons. While Lyles hasn't done anything in the majors yet, he's got a solid minor league pedigree and some solid upside. If Humber shows up like the 2011 Humber, he's a VERY solid pick up. And if Bedard can somehow stay healthy and recapture what he used to be....Simply put, this might not be as bad as you think. Especially with some of the arms coming from the farm.

Justin Maxwell is 29, has never been a starter and has 534 AB's in the major leagues. He's the projected starting CF. Fernando Martinez is mildly interesting in RF, JD Martinez is not in LF.

This team is a major league mess, and with three signings I would improve 2/5's of the rotation and CF. I'd move Ankiel to RF, F Martinez to LF and drop kick JD Martinez off the roster.

Oh, I'd also likely go get Jon Rauch and Todd Coffey. Rodriguez as your main setup man? blech.
    I can't argue with the OF...it's a freaking disaster. But if Bourn won't come to Houston as I've been hearing for quite a while now, who do they add there? Rauch and Coffey are certainly possibilities. But I have a feeling they'll use the pen as an extended tryout for some of the numerous arms they've collected. It's not like Rauch, Coffey or Rodriguez are all that great.

Btw TRF, the Marlins just signed Rauch. And Fernando Rodriguez was dealt to the A's in that Lowrie deal.
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 02-05-2013 at 05:28 PM.

three if's in the rotation... or just one. a return to Houston might be perfect for Oswalt, And I think Lohse is a solid #3.

Plus, Houston cleaned house. fences with Bourn could be mended.

I mean, really? Erik Bedard? He couldn't win with a decent team in Pittsburgh. or stay healthy. Has Humber ever been good outside one season?

Looking at the stats from 2012, only Wilton Lopez was interesting, and he's a Rockie now.

3-5 moves creates the bridge. Overpay a little to let agents know you might overpay a lot for real talent. the switch to the AL will bring in a few fans, Ranger games might sell out, but it looks to be a long season if they don't even moderately upgrade that rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Btw TRF, the Marlins just signed Rauch. And Fernando Rodriguez was dealt to the A's in that Lowrie deal.
    too bad on Rauch, thank god for the Astros on the latter.

How would you like to be Comcast Sportsnet right about now? Both the Rockets and the Astros broadcasts switched from Fox Sports to Comcast this season. The last I read Comcast Sportsnet reached about 40% of the households in the Houston area. It is not on Dish for sure and I am almost certain is not on either Direct or UVerse. The Astros could well reek for the next two years, so I doubt there is much pressure for any of those providers to pick them up. I don't feel much buzz down here for the approaching baseball season. The club will stink. A lot of folks are not very enamored about the move to the American League. And a huge percentage of fans will not be able to watch them on the tube. That doesn't bode well, IMO.

three if's in the rotation... or just one. a return to Houston might be perfect for Oswalt, And I think Lohse is a solid #3.

Plus, Houston cleaned house. fences with Bourn could be mended.

I mean, really? Erik Bedard? He couldn't win with a decent team in Pittsburgh. or stay healthy. Has Humber ever been good outside one season?

Looking at the stats from 2012, only Wilton Lopez was interesting, and he's a Rockie now.

3-5 moves creates the bridge. Overpay a little to let agents know you might overpay a lot for real talent. the switch to the AL will bring in a few fans, Ranger games might sell out, but it looks to be a long season if they don't even moderately upgrade that rotation.
    Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be against those moves if I were an Astro fan. If they could do it, I guess it would be a decent idea.

But Humber and Bedard...why not? They were basically free pickups. They both seem like good guys to take fliers on. Only ESPN is penciling them into the rotation. I'm pretty sure they're both on minor league deals.

Depending on Oswalt at this point seems like a crapshoot too IMO. He was worse last year than any of the projected starters the Astros have.

You don't think Lucas Harrell had an intriguing season? I sure do. On that crappy club he went 11-11 with a 3.76 era. And Norris, if he can get some defense behind him and reign in his control a bit, he could be a strikeout machine. When he's on his game he can be dominant. But he's like Loshe was with the Reds, really good or really bad, nothing in between.

Outside of that outfield, you want to be depressed for them, look at who they've got penciled in for closer. Jose Veras. LOL.

Houston is an attractive free agent destination for two main reasons. It's a place you can go to A.) get ample playing time, and/or B.) get traded to a contender near the trading deadline. Otherwise, they're not bringing in free agents unless they grossly overpay.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Houston is an attractive free agent destination for two main reasons. It's a place you can go to A.) get ample playing time, and/or B.) get traded to a contender near the trading deadline. Otherwise, they're not bringing in free agents unless they grossly overpay.
    C.) No state income tax.
    D.) The MC/SM (Men's Clubs per Square Mile) is off-the-charts.

Last edited by texasdave; 02-05-2013 at 07:49 PM.

17. Likes:

camisadelgolf (02-05-2013)

Turn Off Ads?