0 0%
  • Kyle Waldrop

6 12.50%
  • Ryan Wright

2 4.17%
  • Other (Please name)

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who is Redszone's #19 prospect for 2013?

Who is Redszone's #19 prospect for 2013?

1) Billy Hamilton
    2) Robert Stephenson
    3) Tony Cingrani
    4) Daniel Corcino
    5) Jesse Winker
    6) Nick Travieso
    7) Henry Rodriguez
    8) Ismael Guillon
    9) Yorman Rodriguez
    10) Tanner Rahier
    11) Dan Langfield
    12) Neftali Soto
    13) Donald Lutz
    14) Chad Rogers
    15) Tucker Barnhart
    16) David Vidal
    17) Seth Mejias-Brean
    18) Kyle Lotzkar

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Who is Redszone's #19 prospect for 2013?

I'm fairly certain he won't get win this vote (it's going to be either Reynoso or Gelalich), but I'm going with Ryan Lamarre. He's much closer to the majors than those other two guys, was a second round draft pick (so he has some real potential), and has a fantastic glove at a premium defensive position. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him in Cincinnati this year if the Reds decide they need a legit gloveman on the bench to caddy for Choo in CF.

Me too -- Lamarre

Definitely not Lamarre whose numbers have declined every season. OPS .758, .720 and .708 and whose best HR season is 6.

Going Waldrop again.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Definitely not Lamarre whose numbers have declined every season. OPS .758, .720 and .708 and whose best HR season is 6.

Going Waldrop again.
    I wonder if they'll want to see him repeat the first half in AA to see if he's developed.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post

Going Waldrop again.
    Waldrop had almost the same OPS in Dayton that Lamarre had when he was there, and Waldrop plays a corner rather than centerfield. When in doubt, I always err in favor of the guy who projects to play a premium defensive position.

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    I wonder if they'll want to see him repeat the first half in AA to see if he's developed.
    I doubt it.

It's not like he sucked at AA, he just doesn't have the power to put up a pretty OPS. His OBP (356) was plenty good to merit a promotion. IMO, he projects very nicely as a plus glove off the bench who can pinch run or pinch hit with the bases empty. You don't want him playing every day or hitting with runners on base, but he can be very successful in a limited role.

Lamarre played with plantar fasciitis last year -- no way that didn't limit him.

He drops a bunch if he doesn't assert himself this season IMO, but I'm giving Waldrop another year to break out. Not really sure what to make of Gelalich yet. He's definitely got a case here, but even if he was hurt, I don't remember being all that stoked about his scouting report in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    Waldrop had almost the same OPS in Dayton that Lamarre had when he was there, and Waldrop plays a corner rather than centerfield.
    Actually, their OPS was identical (.767), which is kind of spooky. LaMarre, however, was a year older.

I like Waldrop here, but I agree that LaMarre looks like a solid defensive center fielder, and his speed plays well. Reports on him out of college were that he was a gym rat, and for that reason--along with his ability, of course--I've always looked for him to ascend. But I just haven't seen it yet. Mostly, I haven't seen him hit quite enough to convince me that he's a major-leaguer. That said, Waldrop is far from a sure thing, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    I'm fairly certain he won't get win this vote (it's going to be either Reynoso or Gelalich), but I'm going with Ryan Lamarre. He's much closer to the majors than those other two guys, was a second round draft pick (so he has some real potential), and has a fantastic glove at a premium defensive position. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him in Cincinnati this year if the Reds decide they need a legit gloveman on the bench to caddy for Choo in CF.
    I agree! If he wasn't dealing with the foot injury last year when he could barely run in August, his stats would have been much higher. Defensively, he is still probably a top 2 or 3 outfielder in this organization especially in CF. People also forget he's had 105 stolen bases the last 2 1/2 years. Will he be a home run hitter? No. The guy's a gap-type hitter as he was in college and I look for him to have a big year this year, wherever he plays!
    Last edited by j_m_t_us; 02-05-2013 at 12:00 PM.

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Lol, I wish some of you would stop changing your mind every topic. It's gonna make me...

Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

Waldrop. On Lamarre (whom I also like, mostly because of our shared alma mater) vs. Waldrop, Lamarre was not only a full year older than Waldrop in their Dayton years but he had also played 3 years of major college baseball. Dayton's the highest level Waldrop's every played and he got consistently better as the season developed (ck. his month by month numbers). Chronologically he's a full three years younger than Lamarre and will this year probably be a level and a half behind him. I do think Lamarre will have a major league career but Waldrop looks to me like a significantly better prospect at this point.

I have little doubt Lamarre is on the Reds big league radar for defense alone, as he's been on the Caravan.

Waldrop and Ryan Wright are my 2 breakout players for 2013.

Turn Off Ads?