Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Will Joey Votto hit in to at least 1 pop-up in 2013?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

25 52.08%
  • No

23 47.92%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Less Pressing Joey Votto Question

The Less Pressing Joey Votto Question

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...otto-question/

Fangraphs has just posted an article making the point that there have been more perfect games than Joey Votto pop-ups since 2009. So, will Votto hit into a pop-fly out in 2013?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

2. Likes:

camisadelgolf (02-13-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Re: The Less Pressing Joey Votto Question

This is a way pressing question.

Joey Votto should have generations of children named after him.

It should be state law that any Cincinnati-area classroom without a Joey Votto in it should then have one child in said room re-named. Boy should be required to know his up-to-the-at-bat lifetime statistics or suffer brutal bullying. Girls should practice writing "Mrs. Joey Votto" one Hello Kitty notebook page at a time. Canadian bacon and maple syrup should be required purchases any time somone buys anything in a grocery store. And every sales bill should be rounded up to whatever dollars and nineteen cents.

6. Likes:

AtomicDumpling (02-13-2013),bigredmechanism (02-13-2013),HeatherC1212 (02-14-2013)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Yes. It is just math.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I don't want to read the article, so please tell me how many pop-ups he's hit into?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Joey Votto should have generations of children named after him.

It should be state law that any Cincinnati-area classroom without a Joey Votto in it should then have one child in said room re-named. Boy should be required to know his up-to-the-at-bat lifetime statistics or suffer brutal bullying. Girls should practice writing "Mrs. Joey Votto" one Hello Kitty notebook page at a time. Canadian bacon and maple syrup should be required purchases any time somone buys anything in a grocery store. And every sales bill should be rounded up to whatever dollars and nineteen cents.
    I was under the impression these policies had already been implemented? Mallory's got a lot of explaining to do!

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Yes. It is just math.
    Joey Votto defies math!

The laws of physics cease to exist when he steps in a batter's box. E no longer equals MC^2. Pythagoras' Theorem (both the original, and Raisor's Baseball Version) cease to hold mathematical rigor. And Stokes' Theorems? Don't even get me started...

We just better be glad that Votto is from the great white north, and thus his awesomeness oscillates at 50 Hz - or else our power grid would be in SERIOUS trouble every time he hits a home run.

The guy is a dynamo, I tell ya.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

11. Likes:

Superdude (02-13-2013),_Sir_Charles_ (02-13-2013)

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I don't want to read the article, so please tell me how many pop-ups he's hit into?
    Votto has hit exactly one infield pop-up since 2009. Once for more emphasis: In almost three seasons, he's tallied one solitary infield fly.
    a fly ball within 140 feet of the plate (FanGraphs' definition of an Infield Fly Ball.)
    Votto has not popped up to the infield all season. In fact, he has popped out to the infield only three times in 2,138 plate appearances over the past four seasons.

Votto has pulled a ball foul into the stands only once in his entire major league career. Once.
    That last one is from Verducci. I don't know if it's accurate...but that's just freaky if true. ONE foul ball into the stands?
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 02-13-2013 at 07:37 PM.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    That last one is from Verducci. I don't know if it's accurate...but that's just freaky if true. ONE foul ball into the stands?
    Joel Luckhupt, FSN Ohio Reds statistician said during last season when the original article came out, that it was indeed untrue.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Joel Luckhupt, FSN Ohio Reds statistician said during last season when the original article came out, that it was indeed untrue.
    Good. Because I was having one helluva time wrapping my head around that one. I see guys foul a half dozen into the stands in one AB for crying out loud.

For a Level Playing Field

Good. Because I was having one helluva time wrapping my head around that one. I see guys foul a half dozen into the stands in one AB for crying out loud.
    I side with Doug. However, keep in mind that it says PULLED the ball foul into the stands. Probably more than once, but we all know that Votto does not get too far out in front of the ball.

Keep in mind that the definition includes the ball being caught for an out.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I don't want to jinx Joey by voting either way...kind of superstitious that way.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

That is simply incredible.

Back when Joey and Jay first came up, I took my 2 daughters to a game and they wanted to buy a jersey. Both wanted Jay Bruce jerseys because he was all the rage at the time. I told them, that Votto guy will be the better player and put up better numbers, but you can have whichever you want. They ended up buying Votto jerseys.

And they don't regret it.

Saw it coming, even back then. He just has a different mentality. There are guys who are satisfied, and then there are guys who expect alot of themselves. Joey is that guy and I saw it immediately.

On a side note, my good friend and his wife own a salon in Montgomery, and Joey came in his rookie season for a haircut, manicure and pedicure. His wife said he was quiet and shy but all the girls were oohing and awing over him.

I hope Joey gets to 100% health and regains his power. Every Votto at-bat is usually worth the price.

Edit: If he can stay healthy, and with the continuity and addition of Choo............this could really be a special season for Joey.
    Last edited by Vottomatic; 02-14-2013 at 10:10 AM. Reason: one more comment

19. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (02-14-2013)

Hey guys, not sure if this needed its own thread so I just thought I'd put it here. On Mlb Network they are having a face of the MLB bracket and today is Votto vs. Bautista if you want to vote. You vote by using twiter. Just thought I'd give everyone a heads up.

Turn Off Ads?