Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ryan Braun busted again?

Re: Ryan Braun busted again?

Quote Originally Posted by Kilgore_Trout View Post
    Based on a few articles I have read, Braun's own lawyer indicated that the value Anthony Bosch brought to the defense's case was "negligible." Why would they owe a guy who provided only "negligible" insight upwards of $20,000?
    Might this be the reason that Braun was listed as owing Anthony Bosch money? I believe it was Braun himself who mentioned that they owed him. Supposedly they were in 'dispute' over the amount of money they should pay him for his 'negligible' (there's that word again) contribution to their case. Still sounds to me like they have a legitimate defense here.

I'm just trying to look at this as objectionably as possible. But boy do I sound like a Braun homer.
    Retired homosexual

2. Turn Off Ads?

Fair point about the dispute money, Urban. But at the end of the day, Braun avoided a suspension after failing a PED test on a technicality. Following that debacle, he ends up on a list for owing Anthony Bosch money. I think it's more than fair to question his honesty.

I also think you should have quoted the part where I said "innocent until proven guilty."

Not to cause a ruckus, but has anyone else noticed a trend with players testing positve over the last several years...I would wager at least 80% have a hispanic connection, perhaps because the labs are in Miami or it is prevalent in Latin American leagues. Players that come to mind, ARod, Manny Ramirez, Edison Volguez, Grandal, Melky Cabrera, Bartolo Colon, just saying

Ryan Braunchez. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock of Truth View Post
    Say what you want about Volquez, but does this not point to a "loophole" in the system? He played the system perfectly. He knew he was going to sit out anyways while rehabbing. The 'roids would help his rehab process. Take the suspension of 50 games, which was still shorter than the DL stint and come back stronger.

He should have really had to serve the 50 AFTER his return from the DL if you ask me.
    Then the team would just take the player off the DL about 50 days before they figured he'd be ready.

The big issue for the player is the pay...they miss the 50 days of pay regardless when the suspension is served.
    Sto Pro Veritate

^^

Just out of curiosity, where does that money go? Does it need to be forwarded from to the organization to the league (bypassing the player) OR does the organization hold onto it? I'd say the second scenario makes the most sense, however, you never know with the MLB...

Baseball funnels fine money either to a central fund, which is shared among the league's 30 teams, or in some cases it goes to the charity of the player's choice, according to Rich Levin, the league's spokesman. Baseball player fines and suspensions are considered minimal when compared to the other leagues.
    Read more: When MLB players are fined, where does the money go? | Answerbag http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/67744#ixzz2KEc2T2Eb

Without grabbing a soapbox, (or a high horse), wanted to make a comment about "innocent until proven guilty". This is, and certainly should be, the standard notion for a Criminal conviction. It is NOT, and most certainly should NOT be the standard for how society views a particular person or act.

In essence, our framers believed that imprisonment was such a harsh penalty that they 'would rather free 10 guilty men than convict 1 innocent one'. But that standard does not exist in other areas of the law, like civil tort law.

Look at OJ Simpson. He was aquitted in the criminal case for murder, but found responsible for the act of killing Ron Goldman and his ex in a civil lawsuit. Do these facts make him 'innocent' in the eyes of society? I'd say heck no. Take Casey Anthony -- aquitted by a jury but certainly guilty in the eyes of the public.

And this is how is should be. If all the formal requirements for a criminal conviction are not present, the law must protect all of us equally and be blind to the (horrible) nature of the charges. Braun hiding behind the technicality of transport of his samples is fair because that is the way the system was supposed to work based on the collectively bargained agreement that created it.

But as a society (or even just as individuals) we are not forced to follow the same narrow rules that govern legal cases. We each should have the sense to know what is and isn't, regardless of a claim of a Govt, Sport, team, or player.

As such I do not feel even a bit unfair to judge Casey Anthony and OJ guilty of murder, and to judge Ryan Braun, Roger Clemens, and B*nds all guilty of using steroids.

(note -- not comparing juicing to murder, but the legal principles and the public responses do have much in common.)

Quote Originally Posted by coachpipe View Post
    What a cheat. I'm glad being a reds fan our guys stay off these lists. Or we trade them before we find out. Ala grandal
    I know we really want to believe that all of our players are as clean as possible, but to be honest, nobody really knows. I think it is highly unlikely guys like Joey Votto would be taking PEDs. I mean, the guy lives and breathes playing baseball. He's not in it for the fame, stats, or money. I don't see any reason for him to take PEDs. But, you really never truly know. We are just fans, and we can't see what really is going on in our clubhouse. We just hope our Reds are doing it the right way, and so far for the most part, it looks like MLB has found most of our players to be innocent. Let's hope that continues.

Turn Off Ads?