Turn Off Ads?
Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 172324252627

Thread: Ryan Braun going down?

Re: Ryan Braun going down?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    Check out the Jonah Keri Q&A Chip linked to above:
    I actually would have no problem with that.

One and done should be the rule anyway.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I actually would have no problem with that.

One and done should be the rule anyway.
    Except only if the rules are applied fairly across the board, right?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

I'm all for investigating and disciplining those who have willfully broken the rules and taken PEDs. I'd like to see them out of the game. But I sure don't love the way MLB is going about this. Seems rather shady to me. Not sure the ends justifies the means in this case.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

5. Likes:

757690 (06-07-2013),Chip R (06-07-2013),jojo (06-07-2013),RedEye (06-07-2013),westofyou (06-07-2013)

Melky Cabrera, Colon, and Grandal have all already served suspensions for violations of the league's drug policy. Is this kind of double penalty covered anywhere in the Joint Drug Agreement? If not, on what grounds would the league propose to have a double penalty (i.e., 100 games for first-time offenders rather than 50) stick?

Depends on what they've told MLB. If they've denied being apart of this program then they lied. If they admitted everything then maybe the players have a point. But lying to MLB constitutes a failed test

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    But lying to MLB constitutes a failed test
    Really? I didn't realize that. Is that the official policy?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Really? I didn't realize that. Is that the official policy?
    Yes, I heard that on ESPN this week

This is the closest explanation I could find in a quick search:
    A 100-game suspension is reserved for a second PED offense of the Joint Drug Agreement. It would be in play only if MLB officials determine that the players lied about their involvement in previous interviews and/or the officials confirm other so-called "non-analytical" offenses. The JDA does allow baseball to discipline players without a failed drug test when sufficient evidence exists to prove purchase, receipt or use of banned drugs.

MLB officials this year did suspend a minor league pitcher, Cesar Carrillo, for 100 games under those circumstances, without a prior offense. They determined that Carrillo had been untruthful in his interviews in addition to his connection to Bosch. Carrillo, though, was not on a 40-man roster and thus did not have the power of an appeals process afforded members of the MLB Players Association.
    Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mlb...#ixzz2VgmUnLdi
    Last edited by Sea Ray; 06-09-2013 at 12:14 AM.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/0...ez-others.html

MLB To Suspend Braun, Rodriguez, Others
    By Zach Links [July 9, 2013 at 5:21pm CST]
    5:21pm: An MLB spokesperson tells Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel (via Twitter) that the news on Braun is premature and no decisions have been made.

5:07pm: Major League Baseball is expected to suspend Ryan Braun, Alex Rodriguez, and as many as 20 players connected to the Biogenesis clinic sometime after next week's All-Star break, several sources told T.J. Quinn and Mike Fish of ESPN.com. Commissioner Bud Selig's office is considering 100-game bans for Braun and Rodriguez, the punishment for a second offense, despite neither player receiving a previous suspension for violating MLB drug rule
    http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/...ic-sources-say
    Ryan Braun, who has repeatedly denied using performance-enhancing drugs, refused to answer questions during a recent meeting with Major League Baseball about his connection to Tony Bosch and the Biogenesis clinic in Miami, sources told "Outside the Lines."

The meeting took place June 29, a source said, and is one of several that MLB has conducted with players connected to the clinic. A source said Alex Rodriguez has not been interviewed, but a meeting is expected to take place within the week.

Commissioner Bud Selig's office is expected to suspend Braun and Rodriguez, along with as many as 20 players sometime after next week's All-Star break, several sources told "Outside the Lines." As OTL reported, MLB started building cases against the players last month after Bosch agreed to cooperate with investigators.

The question is the length of the suspensions.

Sources said the commissioner's office was considering 100-game bans for Braun and Rodriguez, the punishment for a second offense, even though neither player was previously suspended for violating MLB's drug policy.

The argument, one source said, would be that they -- and possibly other players -- committed multiple offenses by receiving performance-enhancing drugs from Bosch and by lying about it.

Bosch's attorneys have met repeatedly with MLB officials over the past month, turning over numerous documents to substantiate his connection to the players named in company documents, sources have said.

While sources would not detail what Bosch has turned over, he was expected to provide phone, text, email and other records.

Is it me, or has Alex Rodriguez taken so many steroids that he's turning into a Klingon?

That's just starting to look like a lot of testosterone.

Joking, of course.

Turn Off Ads?