Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds, Leake Avoid Arbitration (1-year, $3.06M deal)

Reds, Leake Avoid Arbitration (1-year, $3.06M deal)

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/0...bitration.html
    The Reds avoided arbitration with right-hander Mike Leake, Mark Sheldon of MLB.com reports. The sides agreed to a one-year deal worth $3.06MM for 2013.

Leake had asked for $3.5MM with the Reds offering $2.65MM, as MLBTR's Arb Tracker shows. Leake, a Beverly Hills Sports Council client, had been arbitration eligible for the first time this winter. The 25-year-old has two more years of arbitration eligibility and will hit free agency following the 2015 season.
    Bailey, Choo, and Latos remain as the arbitration eligible Reds.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds, Leake Avoid Arbitration (1-year, $3.06M deal)

If he's making that much latos and bailey are sure to win their cases too. I'm sorry but how did mike leake win his arbitration case for 3.5 mill? Is he really worth that much compared to all the other pitchers in the league similar to him?

With that said i sure hope he proves me wrong

That buys a lot of t-shirts

6. Likes:

camisadelgolf (02-06-2013),jmac (02-07-2013),Red Raindog (02-06-2013)

This looks like a steal of a deal.

I'm going to resist the urge to pile on with more five-finger discount jokes!
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

9. Likes:

MikeThierry (02-06-2013)

Somewhere in downtown Cincy, a pink slip hangs in the locker of a Macy's security guard.

11. Likes:

MikeThierry (02-06-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by coachpipe View Post
    If he's making that much latos and bailey are sure to win their cases too. I'm sorry but how did mike leake win his arbitration case for 3.5 mill? Is he really worth that much compared to all the other pitchers in the league similar to him?
    He didn't win anything because it never went to arbitration, the Reds and his agent settled for a figure in between the two they started with.
    If evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve!

13. Likes:

camisadelgolf (02-06-2013),Caveman Techie (02-07-2013),remdog (02-08-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Tadasimha View Post
    He didn't win anything because it never went to arbitration, the Reds and his agent settled for a figure in between the two they started with.
    On top of that, the contract went slightly more in the Reds' favor between the two numbers that were exchanged.

Redleger13

If Mike Leake is worth 3 million dollars we might as well go try to lock up Milton Bradley for a few seasons after he gets out of jail. You could have bought him a ball bit and a gum ball machine and he would have been amped. The dudes got talent but he explodes far too often. We don't need a sixth man or another long reliever as I would much rather see Cingrani or LeCure in those roles.
    Mr. Redlegs - 2012

Glad to hear it. I hope we can keep our long streak of "no arbitration hearings" intact, especially with Latos and Bailey.

I as much as anyone am enjoying the LTC's (esp. the price) we locked up a year ago but the Reds are not immune to contract prices going up. Seems about right for Leake given the market trends. I bet Latos and Bailey get close to what they're asking if arbitration is avoided.

Quote Originally Posted by MrRedLegger View Post
    I as much as anyone am enjoying the LTC's (esp. the price) we locked up a year ago but the Reds are not immune to contract prices going up. Seems about right for Leake given the market trends. I bet Latos and Bailey get close to what they're asking if arbitration is avoided.
    May be right in terms of market trends, but intuitively Leake deal seems kind of high.

As I said on another thread, Leake, a ground ball pitcher, allowed 26 homers, ERA above 4.5, didn't make post season roster until an injury, then allowed five runs in key playoff game.

I've supported Leake on this site but I think he did quite well with this contract, used the arbitration process well, and now has something to prove in 2013.

I would add that it behooves Mike to have a good start this year, with Chapman likely in the pen getting ready to start later in the season. Leake right now seems most likely candidate to give way once Chappy is ready, although that could obviously change as the season goes forward.
    Last edited by Kc61; 02-07-2013 at 03:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Luke View Post
    We don't need a sixth man or another long reliever as I would much rather see Cingrani or LeCure in those roles.
    Leake is going to be the fifth starter for early part of the year IMO. Chapman will get stretched out either in extended spring training or with regular work out of the bullpen.

By the time May rolls around, things will probably work themselves out. The Reds were incredibly injury-lucky in their starting rotation last year. Chances are that will not happen again and Reds fans will be thanking their lucky stars the Reds kept a guy like Leake around.

Wasn't it just a few years ago this kid was the next Greg Maddux? He was a super two right?
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Turn Off Ads?